LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > The Fashionable

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 194
0 members and 194 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Old 03-02-2018, 04:01 PM   #2341
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Weekly Top 40 Up

Starts at 1346:

http://www.lawtalkers.com/forums/sho...?t=881&page=34

TM
ThurgreedMarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 04:54 PM   #2342
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Weekly Top 40 Up (last week's)

Starts at 1402:

http://www.lawtalkers.com/forums/sho...?t=881&page=36

TM
ThurgreedMarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:58 AM   #2343
Not Bob

All you need are looks and a whole lot of money.

Actual fashion question - does anyone have wisdom to share on Thomas Pink dress shirts? IIRC, Sebby may have worn them in his “swingin free in Hickeys” phase.

Many moons ago, I was frustrated when I thought that the Paul Fredrick shirts had declined in quality, and DC Chef (sniff) recommended John W. Nordstrom shirts to me. Chef, as usual, was correct.

However, it has increasingly gotten harder to find JWN shirts in white or even blue. I’ve tried Tyrwitt and they’re ok, but not quite it. I keep a few Brooks Brothers non-iron shirts (which still have to be sorta ironed, but still) around, but I’m not a huge fan of their regular shirts. I’ve gone back to Paul Fredrick, and they’re better than before, but they don’t seem to stay white very long and even the magic dust that the cleaners use don’t help.

I’ve done some research and it seems that Pinks are well regarded. But they ain’t cheap. If they’re worth it, great, but I am reluctant to experiment without hearing from my Imaginary Friends. So, any pearls of wisdom?
Not Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 01:45 PM   #2344
Did you just call me Coltrane?

Re: All you need are looks and a whole lot of money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Bob View Post
Actual fashion question - does anyone have wisdom to share on Thomas Pink dress shirts? IIRC, Sebby may have worn them in his “swingin free in Hickeys” phase.

Many moons ago, I was frustrated when I thought that the Paul Fredrick shirts had declined in quality, and DC Chef (sniff) recommended John W. Nordstrom shirts to me. Chef, as usual, was correct.

However, it has increasingly gotten harder to find JWN shirts in white or even blue. I’ve tried Tyrwitt and they’re ok, but not quite it. I keep a few Brooks Brothers non-iron shirts (which still have to be sorta ironed, but still) around, but I’m not a huge fan of their regular shirts. I’ve gone back to Paul Fredrick, and they’re better than before, but they don’t seem to stay white very long and even the magic dust that the cleaners use don’t help.

I’ve done some research and it seems that Pinks are well regarded. But they ain’t cheap. If they’re worth it, great, but I am reluctant to experiment without hearing from my Imaginary Friends. So, any pearls of wisdom?
Pink is overpriced. Not worth it.

Spier & McKay?
Proper Cloth?

I have shirts from Spier & McKay and they are great. I like my shirts from TM Lewin and Tyrwhitt - both mid range in quality. Not great but not terrible.
Old 05-21-2018, 02:15 PM   #2345
Not Bob

You could really be a Beau Brummel, baby, if you just gave it half a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Did you just call me Coltrane? View Post

Spier & McKay?
Proper Cloth?

I have shirts from Spier & McKay and they are great. I like my shirts from TM Lewin and Tyrwhitt - both mid range in quality. Not great but not terrible.
Thanks, Coltrane - much appreciated. AoN, I bought the Laws of Style not too long ago after reading a review in my local bar magazine. Mostly for personal validation of my own clothing choices, but I did learn a few things and new brands (like your Suit Supply).
Old 05-21-2018, 03:30 PM   #2346
Did you just call me Coltrane?

Re: You could really be a Beau Brummel, baby, if you just gave it half a chance.

Quote:
Thanks, Coltrane - much appreciated. AoN, I bought the Laws of Style not too long ago after reading a review in my local bar magazine. Mostly for personal validation of my own clothing choices, but I did learn a few things and new brands (like your Suit Supply).
Do you not have a Nordstrom Rack nearby? Or Saks Off Fifth?
Old 05-21-2018, 04:10 PM   #2347
Not Bob

Re: You could really be a Beau Brummel, baby, if you just gave it half a chance.

Quote:
Do you not have a Nordstrom Rack nearby? Or Saks Off Fifth?
Both, but I’ve never had much luck with either on white shirts.
Old 05-21-2018, 04:13 PM   #2348
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:

Spier & McKay?
Proper Cloth?

With the caveat that I wear t-shirts to work most days, I just bought a shirt from Proper and I like it.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Tyrone Slothrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 04:52 PM   #2349
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
But those type stores are always about odd patterns. You can't get plain shirts from nordstrom.com?
Old 05-21-2018, 04:53 PM   #2350
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Pink is shit compared to what they used to be. Overpriced. And they aren’t true spread collars anymore. And no more fun patterns.

Proper Cloth is the way to go.
Old 05-21-2018, 04:55 PM   #2351
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
I’ve never had luck with white shirts. Patterns are stylish, and more importantly, they hide stains better.
Old 05-21-2018, 05:08 PM   #2352
Not Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
But those type stores are always about odd patterns. You can't get plain shirts from nordstrom.com?
Not JWN. And the most recent shirts I bought were an emergency purchase of Nordstrom Men’s Shop shirts. All they had in my (normal-ish) size were point collars. I don’t have a Sebby-esque level of hatred for point collars, but I don’t prefer them.
Old 05-21-2018, 05:11 PM   #2353
Not Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
I’ve never had luck with white shirts. Patterns are stylish, and more importantly, they hide stains better.
A judge once told me that he didn’t like me because I never appeared in court with a coffee or ink-stain.

He was kidding. I think.

Anyway, I am way too boring for a dress shirt with a pattern (other than thin blue stripes when I’m feeling adventurous).
Old 05-21-2018, 05:25 PM   #2354
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
With the caveat that I wear t-shirts to work most days, I just bought a shirt from Proper and I like it.
With the caveat that I wear tank tops to work most days, Proper Cloth makes nice polo shirts as well.
Old 05-21-2018, 05:31 PM   #2355
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
Not JWN. And the most recent shirts I bought were an emergency purchase of Nordstrom Men’s Shop shirts. All they had in my (normal-ish) size were point collars. I don’t have a Sebby-esque level of hatred for point collars, but I don’t prefer them.
dirty secret- I'm often in court against the top bananas wearing shirts I bought at Marshall's. No one has ever said anything?