LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 238
0 members and 238 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Old 05-07-2024, 09:40 PM   #2476
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Re: Implanting Bill Gates's Micro-chips In Brains For Over 20 Years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Maybe if you send these judges links to the blogs you are getting your info from they'll change their minds?
I know you are trolling, but my view doesn't turn on whatever the reason for the boycott, or on anything I read, on blogs or otherwise.
的t was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Tyrone Slothrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 10:12 PM   #2477
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
I know you are trolling, but my view doesn't turn on whatever the reason for the boycott, or on anything I read, on blogs or otherwise.
That post has nothing to do with your view. I was posting something that might give Less a smile. I don稚 engage you about Jewish issues as I am deeply disturbed by your views. But I honestly like/border line love you. So I try to understand how you get your myriad confused views. #nottrolling
Old 05-08-2024, 12:47 PM   #2478
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
Judges are, of course, free to pick whomever they want to clerk for them, and to indulge whatever preferences, biases or idiosyncrasies they wish, but publicly announcing a boycott of that sort seems more about exploiting the judge's office to make a public statement, and that doesn't sit well.
Nor does judges embracing collective punishment.
Adder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 04:54 PM   #2479
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
I don’t engage you about Jewish issues as I am deeply disturbed by your views. But I honestly like/border line love you. So I try to understand how you get your myriad confused views.
Fifth Circuit judges have been blackballing clerks from various schools (including but not limited to Yale and Stanford) for a while now for reasons relating more to "cancel culture," whatever that means, not because of "Jewish issues," whatever that means. If you want the facts, I would assume that a fellow of your intellect and skills would know how to use the Google to find them.

I find your thinking about "Jewish issues" disturbing as well, so I guess we can share that. Kumbaya.
的t was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar

Last edited by Tyrone Slothrop; 05-08-2024 at 05:39 PM..
Old 05-08-2024, 07:43 PM   #2480
Icky Thump

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
I think one has to be careful not to lump all critiques of Israel into the antisemitic bucket.
This incident started with a holocaust-style massacre. I'd support anything Israel did to wipe Hamas the fuck out.

Last edited by Icky Thump; 05-08-2024 at 07:45 PM..
Icky Thump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 03:31 PM   #2481
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icky Thump View Post
This incident started with a holocaust-style massacre. I'd support anything Israel did to wipe Hamas the fuck out.
So do I. I'm not criticizing Israel's response. I'm arguing against the notion that any criticism of Israel or its response is antisemitic.

There is a lot of antisemitism bubbling up in these protests and many criticisms of Israel, but it can be separated from rational, thoughtful critiques of Israel's reaction to October 7. In fact, a lot of people in Israel are arguing against the way Israel is prosecuting the war. That's fair. People can differ in their views of that and it does not aid understanding and clear discourse to assert that all such good faith arguments are antisemitic. I think that is a crude expansion on par with the facile progressive definition of racism in recent years. Not everything that takes issue with Israeli policy is automatically antisemitic.

That said, anyone arguing Israel's response should have been anything other than scorched earth is simply not informed. The atrocities of Hamas on 10/7 are similar to those of ISIS, perhaps worse. You don't respond to a death cult that uses its own as human shields with weak measures.

Hamas understands one thing alone - strength. All Israel can do is blast them so far back to the stone age that it will take them decades to recover any semblance of prior strength.

And if one thinks this is a particularly cruel Israeli policy given the collateral losses to be suffered by the Palestinians, consider what the countries around Gaza think of its residents. Egypt and Jordan won't allow them in, and the Saudis pretend to care about them, but that's a front for their covert support for Israel. Hamas is aligned with Iran because the rest of the Arab world in the surrounding area couldn't care less about the Palestinians. And given that Gaza is run by Hamas/Iran, the surrounding Arab nations are more hostile to Gaza than is Israel. Israel would rather Gaza leave them alone and vice versa. The Saudis would prefer Gaza, an outpost of its nemesis, Iran, disappear, along with everyone in it.
Old 05-09-2024, 03:33 PM   #2482
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
I had rats in my garage. I set traps and killed them. But I also figured that if I had the kind of garage that was attractive to rats, others would find their way in, and then I'd have rats again.

Setting aside, just for the moment, the basic inhumanity involved in razing Gaza and killing innocent women and children to wipe Hamas the fuck out, it's pretty obvious that what Israel is doing is just asking for more rats.
Old 05-09-2024, 03:50 PM   #2483
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Judges are, of course, free to pick whomever they want to clerk for them, and to indulge whatever preferences, biases or idiosyncrasies they wish, but publicly announcing a boycott of that sort seems more about exploiting the judge's office to make a public statement, and that doesn't sit well.
Well, that's where we are. Nobody can agree to disagree. Nobody can see things issue by issue, or person by person. No, we have to create "groups" and align them against each other.

"Me conservative judge. Me hate what some people did at Columbia, so me punish all from Columbia!"

Brilliant. Fucking brilliant. That this comes from a Federal Court is really depressing.

This is what identity politics gets us. Everybody selects an identity and polarizes themselves. Nation addicted to canceling instead of disagreeing like adults with each other.
Old 05-09-2024, 03:51 PM   #2484
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
I had rats in my garage. I set traps and killed them. But I also figured that if I had the kind of garage that was attractive to rats, others would find their way in, and then I'd have rats again.

Setting aside, just for the moment, the basic inhumanity involved in razing Gaza and killing innocent women and children to wipe Hamas the fuck out, it's pretty obvious that what Israel is doing is just asking for more rats.
Then what's the alternative?
Old 05-09-2024, 04:03 PM   #2485
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
So do I. I'm not criticizing Israel's response. I'm arguing against the notion that any criticism of Israel or its response is antisemitic.

There is a lot of antisemitism bubbling up in these protests and many criticisms of Israel, but it can be separated from rational, thoughtful critiques of Israel's reaction to October 7. In fact, a lot of people in Israel are arguing against the way Israel is prosecuting the war. That's fair. People can differ in their views of that and it does not aid understanding and clear discourse to assert that all such good faith arguments are antisemitic. I think that is a crude expansion on par with the facile progressive definition of racism in recent years. Not everything that takes issue with Israeli policy is automatically antisemitic.
100%. It's pretty obvious that at the larger protests, most of the protestors are motivated by what they see happening in Gaza. It's no secret that many of them are Jewish. And then you get the weirdos and hangers-on and opportunists who show up, and some of them are pretty anti-semitic. There is a pretty clear tendency in the coverage of the protests to avoid discussing what the protests are about, and to focus on the opportunists and extremists.

Lots of people have been chanting "From the river to the sea...." I'd be surprised if many of them mean to be calling for the end of the state of Israel. I'm sure a few of them do.

It's pretty wild to see conservative goyim calling lefty Jews anti-semitic at the same time that conservatives have been mainstreaming anti-semitic tropes. Not good for the Jews.
Old 05-09-2024, 04:20 PM   #2486
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Then what's the alternative?
I threw out camping supplies my son had left after he did the John Muir trial, I swept to make sure there was no spilled dog food, and I used wire mesh to block where I thought they were coming in.
Old 05-09-2024, 07:51 PM   #2487
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
I threw out camping supplies my son had left after he did the John Muir trial, I swept to make sure there was no spilled dog food, and I used wire mesh to block where I thought they were coming in.
Wow this is helpful. What did you do to prevent the rats throwing boulders against the roof?
Old 05-09-2024, 08:29 PM   #2488
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Wow this is helpful. What did you do to prevent the rats throwing boulders against the roof?
I'd be happy to say more, but you've made it clear that you don't want to engage and would rather engage in passive-aggressive sniping. Your call.
Old 05-10-2024, 10:16 AM   #2489
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
This incident started with a holocaust-style massacre.
No, and if we can't deal with reality nothing will ever change. A massive, horrific terrorist attack is not the state rounding up and exterminating a subset of its civilian population.
Adder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 12:07 PM   #2490
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
No, and if we can't deal with reality nothing will ever change. A massive, horrific terrorist attack is not the state rounding up and exterminating a subset of its civilian population.
This is also a problematic generalization. Israel is not exterminating anyone. Israel is responding to a terrorist attack coordinated and run by the governing body of Gaza.

The attack involved well financed zealots, many given by Hamas a form of speed available in the Middle East (look it up), who sexually molested, murdered, and mutilated the corpses of kibbutz dwellers who were doing nothing to anyone. In one instance, they removed a man's penis and shoved it in his mouth. They raped women in front their husbands. Gleefully. They sent texts to relatives in Gaza joyously recounting their adventures.

You might argue that this was all precipitated by Israel's treatment of the Gazans. Well, that treatment was allowing Gazans to work in Israel. Prior to 10/7, peaceful Gazans worked in Israel. Unlike Jordan and Egypt, which does not allow them over the border.

Had Gaza sent rockets into Israel, fine. That's just warfare of the typical kind. Adversaries being adversaries. But this was wildly disproportionate. Ghoulish, inhumane. And this whole time, the Iran backed billionaire leaders of the attack, from their luxury hotels in Doha, awaited the reprisal, which they knew would cost thousands of innocent Gazans their lives.

Hamas knowingly, intentionally, murdered thousands of its own and Israelis for the sole purpose of derailing a Middle East peace accord between the Saudis and Israel which would marginalize the Iranian regime's power.

That's not up for argument.

To suggest Israel is somehow at fault for provoking such barbarity is the craziest form of victim blaming imaginable. Could Israel conduct the response perhaps less aggressively? Maybe. We can argue about that. But to call it an extermination is nuts, and to lay that at Israel's feet is even crazier. The "exterminator" of Palestinians in Gaza, if there is one, is Hamas. This is what Hamas wanted. Because Hamas does not care about Israeli or Palestinian lives. They're cannon fodder. Hamas serves Tehran, and its managers, who've lived lavishly through all of this. None of this was done to avenge anything. It was done to save Iran's ass.

(As an aside, if there's one thing I hope to live to see, it will be the overthrow of the Islamic Republic of Iran. And the slow drop hangings of all those in charge in the streets.)