LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > Miscellaneous > Mom & Dad, Esq.

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 440
0 members and 440 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:57 PM   #4366
viet_mom

Re: Underparenting with Tom Socca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparklehorse View Post
In case you have been too busy with your spawn to read The Awl, I commend to you Tom Socca's column called Underparenting:

Link to all of his articles, including Underparenting.

A small excerpt:
I never heard of the column but thanks for the link. Hilarious:

Quote:
People on the subway would give up their seats at the first sight of the Bjorn, at least on the 7 train. (On the Beijing subway, they did not.) It's nice but confusing, if you're an able-bodied and not-yet-old man, to receive that particular courtesy. Is having a baby strapped to your chest a disability? Or is the baby the disabled person? Or is it just a cumbersome piece of luggage? I wasn't sure about my own answers to these questions, but it was good to be able to sit, even though it meant that the never-properly-positioned straps of the Bjorn would ride up into some new, even less ergonomically correct, position.
Link
Old 10-20-2009, 01:23 PM   #4367
cheval de frise

Re: H1N1 Virus Flu Shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icky Thump View Post
I'm sorry to say so, but this is a steaming pile of nonsense.

CDF
Old 10-21-2009, 01:00 PM   #4368
Sparklehorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheval de frise View Post
I'm sorry to say so, but this is a steaming pile of nonsense.

CDF

Here is a link to an interesting but scary story about a pregnant woman's experience with swine flu. This bit really caught my attention:

Quote:
“We have friends who get flu symptoms and say, ‘Oh, I’m not going to a doctor,’ ” Mr. Opdyke added. “And we say, ‘Do you not understand what we went through?’ I can’t imagine why there’s so much nonchalance.”

That nonchalance strikes close to home.

As they said this, Ms. Opdyke was doing her daily physical therapy, struggling to lift one-pound weights. Her therapist interrupted to announce that she opposed flu shots.

“Have you ever read the labels?” she asked. “They’re so full of toxins.”

Asked if she realized that a shot, had it existed in June, might have saved her client and her baby, she frowned and went back to her clipboard.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:08 PM   #4369
Fugee
Patch Diva

Quote:
Here is a link to an interesting but scary story about a pregnant woman's experience with swine flu. This bit really caught my attention:
I got my seasonal flu shot last night. When they have enough of the H1N1 vaccine for people who aren't in the high risk category, I'll most likely get one of those as well.
Fugee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 01:19 PM   #4370
Atticus Grinch
Hello, Dum-Dum.

Quote:
People overvalue risks with human causes and undervalue those that seem randomized or have no attribution. Ask 10,000 people whether they oppose irradiating foods or eating genetically modified produce that is pathogen-resistant, and they will tut-tut about the "unknown risks" of runaway mutations being unleashed on the ecosystem. Ask them how those "unknown risks" compare to the 76 million cases of food-borne illnesses in the U.S. last year, or the 325,000 hospitalizations and 5,000 deaths, and they will frown and turn back to their clipboards.

In other words, people will go to great lengths to avoid a death that is someone's "fault," even if it means tolerating hundreds or thousands of deaths that are no one's "fault" except in our systemic failure to prevent them.
Atticus Grinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 01:25 PM   #4371
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticus Grinch View Post
People overvalue risks with human causes and undervalue those that seem randomized or have no attribution. Ask 10,000 people whether they oppose irradiating foods or eating genetically modified produce that is pathogen-resistant, and they will tut-tut about the "unknown risks" of runaway mutations being unleashed on the ecosystem. Ask them how those "unknown risks" compare to the 76 million cases of food-borne illnesses in the U.S. last year, or the 325,000 hospitalizations and 5,000 deaths, and they will frown and turn back to their clipboards.
Or to put it differently (and steal from Nassim Taleb, citing others), they will be willing to pay more for insurance that protects their home from damage due to a specific threat (fire, flood, hurricane, terrorism, or whatever) than for a generalized policy that covers loss for any reason (including those specific threats).
Adder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 02:22 PM   #4372
Replaced_Texan
Random Syndicate (admin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugee View Post
I got my seasonal flu shot last night. When they have enough of the H1N1 vaccine for people who aren't in the high risk category, I'll most likely get one of those as well.
I was just talking to a medical resident who was told that they're not sure if they're going to have enough H1N1 for the medical personnel. I'm getting my regular shot tonight and if there's any H1N1 left over in a few weeks, I'll get that then.
"In the olden days before the internet, you'd take this sort of person for a ride out into the woods and shoot them, as Darwin intended, before he could spawn."--Will the Vampire People Leave the Lobby? pg 79
Replaced_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 02:25 PM   #4373
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticus Grinch View Post

In other words, people will go to great lengths to avoid a death that is someone's "fault," even if it means tolerating hundreds or thousands of deaths that are no one's "fault" except in our systemic failure to prevent them.
aren't you just saying people like evolution, as long as the selection is "natural?" I don't read politics board anymore, so i forget. are you the sock that is anti-evolution?
Old 10-21-2009, 02:31 PM   #4374
Cletus Miller
the poor-man's spuckler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replaced_Texan View Post
I was just talking to a medical resident who was told that they're not sure if they're going to have enough H1N1 for the medical personnel. I'm getting my regular shot tonight and if there's any H1N1 left over in a few weeks, I'll get that then.
Supposedly, there is enough in Chicago that they are starting free clinics this weekend for all in "high risk" categories.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:50 PM   #4375
Fugee
Patch Diva

Quote:
If there is that much of a shortage, I guess I won't hold out any hope there will be enough left over for me in the near future.
Fugee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 03:05 PM   #4376

Quote:
From what I gathered from our less than stellar news service, the shortage in Texas may be localized. Other states are getting far more than we are. The fingers are already pointing, but I won't speculate on where they will land.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:49 PM   #4377
PresentTense Pirate Penske

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1436 View Post
From what I gathered from our less than stellar news service, the shortage in Texas may be localized. Other states are getting far more than we are. The fingers are already pointing, but I won't speculate on where they will land.
Bush?
Old 10-21-2009, 04:18 PM   #4378

Quote:
Originally Posted by PresentTense Pirate Penske View Post
Bush?
We've moved on to Perry.

Texans are more done with Bush than the rest of the country, but we still have Gov. Hair to deal with.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:11 AM   #4379
dtb
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
I got my H1N1 shot on Monday, and I fee-el fine.
dtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:42 AM   #4380

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtb View Post
I got my H1N1 shot on Monday, and I fee-el fine.
Add to dossier on dtb: obvious shill for big pharma.

[I'm only jealous because I live in the hinterlands and can't get my shot.]