LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 399
0 members and 399 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 04:30 AM   #1666
SEC_Chick
I am beyond a rank!

Re: We are all Slave now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
This here is the essence of conservatism now (and why SEC Chick is wrong that another appointee would have better energized conservatives).
Yes. A single post by someone I won't follow on Twitter because I find her to be too Trumpy totally proves that people who don't like Trump will be equally enthused by Kavanaugh.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:01 AM   #1667
SEC_Chick
I am beyond a rank!

As helpful as I think Democratic attacks on Barrett's devout Catholicism would have been for Republicans holding the Senate, the disdain being shown for Kavanaugh's beer drinking, credit card use, and love of baseball isn't bad either.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:49 AM   #1668
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEC_Chick View Post
As helpful as I think Democratic attacks on Barrett's devout Catholicism would have been for Republicans holding the Senate, the disdain being shown for Kavanaugh's beer drinking, credit card use, and love of baseball isn't bad either.
Where is he being criticized for those things?
Old 07-12-2018, 10:24 AM   #1669
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Damn, after the attacks on Mom (and breastfeeding) and Apple Pie (in the form of tariffs on agriculture), I'm kind of surprised to see a Republican saying positive things about baseball. I thought you all were football fans?

I'm fine with drinking beer and going to baseball games on credit, I just want someone to pay off my debts, too.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:37 AM   #1670
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Your perpetual use of lazy whataboutism is only your second least effective form of engagement. I would estimate it is a feature of more than half of any of your replies to me.
I didn't think either of us thought that a lazy reference to purported anti-religious bigotry on the left warranted anything more than lazy whataboutism. I don't think "the left," whoever that is, is "bigoted" against religion. I say that as a lefty and a Christian. But if one is attuned to that sort of "bigotry," surely the anti-Moslem and anti-Semitic on the right is much more of a thing.

Quote:
It's an especially meta touch to include that specific reference while doing so, but I am pretty sure that irony escapes you.
Thank you for your appreciation, and I'll just turn my cheek to the latter bit.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar

Last edited by Tyrone Slothrop; 07-12-2018 at 10:58 AM..
Old 07-12-2018, 10:47 AM   #1671
Not Bob

Quote:
Questioning a devout Catholic (or a devout Episcopalian*) about how her religious views do or do not affect how she considers legal or constitutional issues is not “attacking” a devout Catholic. Even when you oppose her confirmation to the bench based upon her faith-based answers and say something like “the dogma is strong with this one.” (Maybe it’s sexist to say that, since I don’t think a senator would phrase it the same way to a dude.)

I wouldn’t call myself a “devout” Catholic - or even a particularly good one - but my faith-informed opposition to the death penalty will definitely keep me off the state and federal benches in Podunk. I don’t think that most would consider that as an “attack” on my Catholicism.

*Ha! Episcopalianism is, as my (married) Episcopal priest friend once put it, has all the pageantry of Catholicism with none of the guilt.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:04 AM   #1672
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Yes. A single post by someone I won't follow on Twitter because I find her to be too Trumpy totally proves that people who don't like Trump will be equally enthused by Kavanaugh.
When I talk about conservatives, I'm talking about people who do like Trump. I know you don't like Trump. You may disagree, but I don't think your views are typical of self-identified conservatives any more. They have moved somewhere else. I don't know who that [tweeter] is, but will take your word for it that she's Trumpy. So are conservatives these days. (To the extent that you aren't, right on.)

IMO, the kind of voter who is going to be motivated to vote for Republicans by a Trump Supreme Court pick is going to be just as motivated by Kavanaugh as any of the other reported candidates. This post [i.e., the tweet I linked to] shows why. Supreme Court nominations are polarized and highly motivating to partisans. Swing voters don't care about them.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar

Last edited by Tyrone Slothrop; 07-12-2018 at 11:22 AM..
Old 07-12-2018, 11:24 AM   #1673
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Bob View Post
Questioning a devout Catholic (or a devout Episcopalian*) about how her religious views do or do not affect how she considers legal or constitutional issues is not “attacking” a devout Catholic. Even when you oppose her confirmation to the bench based upon her faith-based answers and say something like “the dogma is strong with this one.” (Maybe it’s sexist to say that, since I don’t think a senator would phrase it the same way to a dude.)

I wouldn’t call myself a “devout” Catholic - or even a particularly good one - but my faith-informed opposition to the death penalty will definitely keep me off the state and federal benches in Podunk. I don’t think that most would consider that as an “attack” on my Catholicism.

*Ha! Episcopalianism is, as my (married) Episcopal priest friend once put it, has all the pageantry of Catholicism with none of the guilt.
I am a devout Catholic. Her crew, of course, the folks whose "intellectual" mantle she's now wearing (she was too young at the time) did a number on good Catholics like Father Drinan back in my youth. She's on the wrong side of a lot of intra-Church debates, and I'm glad their star is currently fading in the Church. The Good Lord works in mysterious ways.

But, yeah, the fact that I align more with this Pope and she more with the last doesn't make either of us anti-religious. If she were nominated, I expect we'd hear some of my good Catholic brothers and sisters in the Senate quoting the Pope a fair bit in her hearing.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:27 AM   #1674
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
When I talk about conservatives, I'm talking about people who do like Trump. I know you don't like Trump. You may disagree, but I don't think your views are typical of self-identified conservatives any more. They have moved somewhere else. I don't know who that [tweeter] is, but will take your word for it that she's Trumpy. So are conservatives these days. (To the extent that you aren't, right on.)

IMO, the kind of voter who is going to be motivated to vote for Republicans by a Trump Supreme Court pick is going to be just as motivated by Kavanaugh as any of the other reported candidates. This post [i.e., the tweet I linked to] shows why. Supreme Court nominations are polarized and highly motivating to partisans. Swing voters don't care about them.
Trump has redefined conservatism. Trumpism is Conservatism. If there were a group of people who actually opposed some of trumps' policies or nominees who were Republicans I would worry about what to call them, but all I see are conservatives who support trump, some of whom whine a little while doing so.

And now the conservatives are defending Trump's insulting a Gold Star family. Conservative values at work.

Last edited by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy; 07-12-2018 at 01:05 PM..
Old 07-12-2018, 11:51 AM   #1675
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

By the way, are we all enjoying all the conservatives attacking the FBI today to provide cover for Trump?
Old 07-12-2018, 01:49 PM   #1676
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
By the way, are we all enjoying all the conservatives attacking the FBI today to provide cover for Trump?
I enjoyed this: http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/...arkable-moment
Old 07-12-2018, 01:55 PM   #1677
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Gowdy looks like he's been embalmed there. Except for one or two moments where it looks like he sucked a lemon.

Gowdy ought to be fucking ashamed of himself. But I am looking forward to the hearings on the participation of ICE agents in the election....
Old 07-12-2018, 04:45 PM   #1678
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
I worked for the US government once. There is a law against political comment, IIRC? Does this guy avoid it because it was on a private twitter account? Had he mentioned he was FBI on that account? It strikes me he is at least an idiot- albeit an idiot with a twitter account in our government may be something we are getting to think normal?
Old 07-12-2018, 04:48 PM   #1679
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
I worked for the US government once. There is a law against political comment, IIRC? Does this guy avoid it because it was on a private twitter account? Had he mentioned he was FBI on that account? It strikes me he is at least an idiot- albeit an idiot with a twitter account in our government may be something we are getting to think normal?
I think you're thinking of the Hatch Act. IIRC, this guy was texting a co-worker with a government phone. I don't think that's illegal under the Hatch Act.
Old 07-12-2018, 04:53 PM   #1680
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
I think you're thinking of the Hatch Act. IIRC, this guy was texting a co-worker with a government phone. I don't think that's illegal under the Hatch Act.
Okay, i thought he was tweeting. He was using a gov phone to text- how about the part where I asked if he wasn't an idiot?