LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 422
0 members and 422 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 04:07 PM   #916
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Re: We are all Slave now.

Is the frozen concentrated orange juice in Trading Places a reference to a key event in the life of Richard M. Nixon? If so, how did I not know this? If not, never mind.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 05-22-2018, 04:18 PM   #917
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Re: Whew

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
Mark Penn, Clintonista, on Mueller: http://thehill.com/opinion/judiciary...protect-us-all
I tried to read this stupid shit the other day. It's absolutely unreadable.

TM
Old 05-22-2018, 04:22 PM   #918
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
Is the frozen concentrated orange juice in Trading Places a reference to a key event in the life of Richard M. Nixon? If so, how did I not know this? If not, never mind.
If it's a wink and a nod, it's pretty clever. But based on his connection to fcoj, it looks like a coincidence.

I wish it were a Trading Places insider fact, though. I'm always up for those.

In 1938, Nixon and several investors attempted to strike it rich making California orange juice, but Richard had no more luck than his father in the citrus business. The future president was not just the president of the Citra-Frost Company, which attempted to produce and sell frozen orange juice, but he even performed the menial work of cutting and squeezing oranges. Citra-Frost’s misguided attempt to freeze the juice itself, rather than the concentrate, doomed it to bankruptcy after just 18 months.

https://www.history.com/news/10-thin...-richard-nixon

TM
Old 05-22-2018, 05:50 PM   #919
sebastian_dangerfield

Re: Michael Avenatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessinSF View Post
I have a lawyer crush on this guy. He waited until Trump filed his ethics (referencing the $130,000 hush money paid through his cut out Cohen) disclosure "in the interest of transparency" before revealing he likely has two other clients to whom Trump paid hush money, which was not disclosed. http://www.newsweek.com/michael-aven...n-trump-931194

Plus, he's a stud. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Avenatti
http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-n...522-story.html
Old 05-22-2018, 07:05 PM   #920
Icky Thump

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrets_bueller View Post
Several threads ago there was a discussion between urbanites and suburbanites about the respective merits of the dwelling locales. As a defender of the suburban, I would note that the finest argument for the urban dwellers is: Last Sunday's New York Times Arts and Leisure section.

There were endless lists of what to do in the city this summer. Music festivals, theater, other performing arts. Sure, there were ads for Jones Beach Theater, etc., but from Coney Island to the Bronx, the city looks like the place to be if you don't have a close personal friend on Dune Road in the Hamptons.
So I can be in NYC in 40 min and the only fuckers I have shitting on my doorstep shit little pellets.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:06 PM   #921
LessinSF
Wearing the cranky pants

Quote:
I saw that. My new crush is on the former attorney's lawyer for taking down the stud.

LessinNYC.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:17 AM   #922
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icky Thump View Post
So I can be in NYC in 40 min and the only fuckers I have shitting on my doorstep shit little pellets.
Most weeks, I spend less than 40 minutes in a car (or train or bus) in total.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:43 AM   #923
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessinSF View Post
I saw that. My new crush is on the former attorney's lawyer for taking down the stud.

LessinNYC.
Avenatti and Daniels are pure shitballs. She was happy to take the cash when she thought Trump would lose. Now she has buyer's remorse. Avenatti's clearly a very solid lawyer, but he's looking more and more Allred every day. Publicity whore.

All that said, these people deserve Trump, and Trump deserves them. None of us, however, deserve to be exposed to their media dumpster fire for a minute more.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:55 AM   #924
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
Most weeks, I spend less than 40 minutes in a car (or train or bus) in total.
Most weeks, though, you spend more than 40 minutes a week bitching and moaning about cars on twitter.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:57 AM   #925
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Avenatti and Daniels are pure shitballs. She was happy to take the cash when she thought Trump would lose. Now she has buyer's remorse. Avenatti's clearly a very solid lawyer, but he's looking more and more Allred every day. Publicity whore.

All that said, these people deserve Trump, and Trump deserves them. None of us, however, deserve to be exposed to their media dumpster fire for a minute more.
Avenatti has some skills. I am usually not a cable news fan, but seeing him interview is a lot more entertaining than seeing the average interview of some reporter by some talking head host, and he has some fairly deft rhetorical skills you can actually learn something from.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:58 AM   #926
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
She was happy to take the cash when she thought Trump would lose. Now she has buyer's remorse.
Man, that's the densest possible take. You know that this is as much about publicity for her as anything, right?
Old 05-23-2018, 10:58 AM   #927
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
Most weeks, though, you spend more than 40 minutes a week bitching and moaning about cars on twitter.
Damn straight
Old 05-23-2018, 11:05 AM   #928
sebastian_dangerfield

Re: Whew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
He's like Dick Morris all over again. Why does anyone find anything he says interesting?
There are parallels between Starr's prosecution of Clinton and the current mess.

There's reason to investigate Trump. There was no legitimate reason to investigate Clinton. That is an important difference.

But once we get beyond the validity of the investigation into Russian meddling, we have to look at the scope of the investigation. Starr tortured the McDougals, Lewinsky, and a whole host of Clinton associates for no other reason than to nail the President. In the end, he came up with a blow job.

Mueller is torturing everybody in Trump's circle to find out if chargeable collusion took place. I think he's more principled than Starr, so I believe his aim is simply to flip people to find out the truth. But "flipping people" is ruining people's lives. Cohen's an idiot. Manafort's a shady fuck. Flynn's a greed-addled fool. And let's not even get into Roger Stone (who seems to want to be indicted). And what they did may be criminal. But it was also something else:
A set of "crimes" which would never have been uncovered or pursued but for Mueller's desire to flip these people on Trump.
If I want to charge you with a felony under the Fed Crim Code, I can do it. The Code is so broad, it's almost impossible for any American to live his life without having violated it numerous times. Cohen, Manafort, et al. would be under zero scrutiny right now if Trump had lost. Like millions of other shady operators, they'd be going about their shady business and no one would care. (Manafort was the subject of an earlier DOJ investigation for the same stuff for which he is now charged. That investigation was dropped.)

I understand these people "bought the ticket and so take the ride." I get it. But this sort of selective destruction bugs me now the same way it bugged me regarding Clinton. The same way it bugged me regarding Conrad Black and Martha Stewart. The same it way it really irks the shit out of me that Fed prosecutors take deterrent value of prosecuting high profile people into account in their decisions to prosecute.

We're having a national conversation about targeting minorities for prosecution at the state and locals levels. We all agree that's wrong. And that is not at all close to what Mueller is doing. But selective prosecution, targeting people to "flip" in a very political investigation, is also treating one person differently than others. I'm not suggesting we should ban it, because it does serve some purposes. But right now, it may not be raised as a defense. That should be changed. People should be able to plead selective prosecution as a defense and a sentencing mitigation. Otherwise, people like Mueller and Starr are basically granted God-like powers to rampantly destroy as they see fit. No one should have that kind of power.

Last edited by sebastian_dangerfield; 05-23-2018 at 11:12 AM..
Old 05-23-2018, 11:09 AM   #929
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
Man, that's the densest possible take. You know that this is as much about publicity for her as anything, right?
Did I say that was her only reason? Of course she wants publicity. But not as much as Avenatti. Not even close.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:10 AM   #930
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
Avenatti has some skills. I am usually not a cable news fan, but seeing him interview is a lot more entertaining than seeing the average interview of some reporter by some talking head host, and he has some fairly deft rhetorical skills you can actually learn something from.
Agreed. He's good. Skills are there.

Allred is also quite good.