LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 124
0 members and 124 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 01:08 PM   #2731
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Re: Squeeeeeeeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurgreedMarshall View Post
How can it be a big question if we already know the answer?

TM
Is this one of the better recursive statements here?
Old 09-09-2018, 01:10 PM   #2732
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
You already called it shite. I was just asking why. If it's too much work for you to make up some post hoc explanation, never mind.

And calling Krugman shrill doesn't "discredit" him. That's exactly the point.
Indeed, folks who use the word shrill like this really discredit themselves. Morons.
Old 09-09-2018, 01:32 PM   #2733
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
Indeed, folks who use the word shrill like this really discredit themselves. Morons.
Okay, so I’m a Moderator and you all better listen: it’s one thing to gang up on Sebby for how he voted, AND ganging up on him for saying some blogger isn’t racist when in the first five minutes of the posted interview he said something really racist. I would go as far as saying it was almost a civic duty to gang up on him for those.

But a word choice (or at least that word choice)? You all didn’t have a predisposition against the word shrill. I’m going to call bullshit right here. We can’t hang up on him for breathing.
Old 09-09-2018, 03:16 PM   #2734
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Okay, so I’m a Moderator and you all better listen: it’s one thing to gang up on Sebby for how he voted, AND ganging up on him for saying some blogger isn’t racist when in the first five minutes of the posted interview he said something really racist. I would go as far as saying it was almost a civic duty to gang up on him for those.

But a word choice (or at least that word choice)? You all didn’t have a predisposition against the word shrill. I’m going to call bullshit right here. We can’t hang up on him for breathing.
In the words of Cory Booker, "Bring It."
Old 09-09-2018, 04:03 PM   #2735
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Really? How do you measure? Whether people like you judge them harshly? Here's a newsflash: You, me, Ty, this board... We're maybe .001 of people. Our sensibilities, how we judge people, what we think, means very little.

If I'm a campaign manager, and I'm talking to a person like you, I would do every thing you don't like. I would make a list of things you criticize and have my candidate do all of them, as loudly and openly as possible. I don't mean that to insult you. I'm stating this as a simple matter of sound strategy.

This is how a buffoon like Trump can "work" a person like you. It's how a buffoon like Trump can work a person like me. We have no idea. We've thought ourselves up our own asses so long ago, we forget the Bernaysian brilliance of a word like "shrill."

The proof you're clueless is your very comment here. This little word, "shrill," gets Ty annoyed enough to cite DeLong about it. It worked so well it got Cowen, DeLong, and numerous others to write blog posts about it. It compelled you to state, pedantically, that anyone using it is discredited. So given all that - all those words written by irritated "marks" in response to two little syllables - tell me just how ineffective and discredited the word is.

No one cares what some self-important lawyer thinks. The value of the word is in its effectiveness.

Last edited by sebastian_dangerfield; 09-09-2018 at 04:05 PM..
Old 09-09-2018, 04:16 PM   #2736
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
You already called it shite. I was just asking why. If it's too much work for you to make up some post hoc explanation, never mind.

And calling Krugman shrill doesn't "discredit" him. That's exactly the point.
It's a dumb article. No shit "shrill" is a nasty way to dismiss Krugman. No shit it was employed by opponents to dismiss him without considering his arguments (with which arguments I agreed). That's what a truly effective adjective does. That's what a truly effective political hit-job does. The strength's in the brevity. If you can nail somebody in minimal syllables, you've increased the public's ability to remember and repeat the insult. It's smart. If you can't or don't want to fight on substance, fight on style.

And it does discredit Krugman. Like it or not, he's now branded a very biased OpEd writer. His name is synonymous with strident arguments, and he's perceived as the sort of academic cited by people like Rachel Maddow. And he's reveled in it. He's titled his own books with the word "liberal." Krugman's no fool. He decided to get political, and now he's tarred as such. He could have been less antagonistic, like Stiglitz. He chose otherwise. Is it unfair? Sure. But that's how politics and media works. Buy the ticket, take the ride...
Old 09-09-2018, 04:24 PM   #2737
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post

Thanks, but I'm fine with it.

We're actually talking past each other. "Shrill" is a great word. Ty and GGG are confusing the fairness of its use with its effectiveness. It is an unfair word. But that's part of why it's such a perfect word. Once used, it sticks. And the more you rail against it, a potentially shrill act in itself, the more it sticks.

An analogue for the left would be "guns and religion." You can aim that at almost anyone on the right, and they can't wiggle out of it. The more they try, the more the image of a redneck keeps re-appearing. The only effective reply is to ignore it. Is it fair? No. Is it effective? Yup.
Old 09-09-2018, 04:47 PM   #2738
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
Really? How do you measure? Whether people like you judge them harshly? Here's a newsflash: You, me, Ty, this board... We're maybe .001 of people. Our sensibilities, how we judge people, what we think, means very little.

If I'm a campaign manager, and I'm talking to a person like you, I would do every thing you don't like. I would make a list of things you criticize and have my candidate do all of them, as loudly and openly as possible. I don't mean that to insult you. I'm stating this as a simple matter of sound strategy.

This is how a buffoon like Trump can "work" a person like you. It's how a buffoon like Trump can work a person like me. We have no idea. We've thought ourselves up our own asses so long ago, we forget the Bernaysian brilliance of a word like "shrill."

The proof you're clueless is your very comment here. This little word, "shrill," gets Ty annoyed enough to cite DeLong about it. It worked so well it got Cowen, DeLong, and numerous others to write blog posts about it. It compelled you to state, pedantically, that anyone using it is discredited. So given all that - all those words written by irritated "marks" in response to two little syllables - tell me just how ineffective and discredited the word is.

No one cares what some self-important lawyer thinks. The value of the word is in its effectiveness.
Whatever I did worked well enough to create significantly more senseless blather from you, proving my point.

Generally, the First Law of BS is that refuting BS takes an order of magnitude more effort than spreading it. BUT the first corollary is that the Average Bullshitter is willing to expend that magnitude of effort effectively refuting themselves if allowed to do so.
Old 09-09-2018, 04:52 PM   #2739
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Thanks, but I'm fine with it.

We're actually talking past each other. "Shrill" is a great word. Ty and GGG are confusing the fairness of its use with its effectiveness. It is an unfair word. But that's part of why it's such a perfect word. Once used, it sticks. And the more you rail against it, a potentially shrill act in itself, the more it sticks.

An analogue for the left would be "guns and religion." You can aim that at almost anyone on the right, and they can't wiggle out of it. The more they try, the more the image of a redneck keeps re-appearing. The only effective reply is to ignore it. Is it fair? No. Is it effective? Yup.
It pleases me to no end that the entire exchange is still under the "Squeeeeeeeze" title, referencing Paul Ryan's shrillness.
Old 09-09-2018, 05:00 PM   #2740
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Whatever I did worked well enough to create significantly more senseless blather from you, proving my point.

Generally, the First Law of BS is that refuting BS takes an order of magnitude more effort than spreading it. BUT the first corollary is that the Average Bullshitter is willing to expend that magnitude of effort effectively refuting themselves if allowed to do so.
There’s no blather there.

Here’s the Cliff’s:

1. Being discredited by you means one is doing something right;
2. Shrill’s a great word for use on people like you (and many others).
Old 09-09-2018, 05:02 PM   #2741
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
It pleases me to no end that the entire exchange is still under the "Squeeeeeeeze" title, referencing Paul Ryan's shrillness.
I don’t know what this means. I don’t care about or follow Eddie Munster.

On another note, I watched “Active Measures” today, and it is really engrossing. Highly recommended.
Old 09-10-2018, 01:26 AM   #2742
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
"Shrill" is an unfair word.
That's why I went off on you for using it, you doofus.

Quote:
Shrill’s a great word for use on people like you (and many others).
Not if you're trying to convince.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 09-10-2018, 08:23 AM   #2743
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
That's why I went off on you for using it, you doofus.

Not if you're trying to convince.
Fairness is not a valid measurement on these things.

Convince?

1 of 5 people is capable of changing his mind when confronted with a contrary view
1 in 10 on religion and politics
Triple those #s if the people are lawyers

I can’t think of a more futile act here. (Or most other instances where these discussions might take place.)
Old 09-10-2018, 10:32 AM   #2744
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
I’ve also heard female friends use it. I’ve not heard many male friends use it.
Did you follow the 2016 presidential election, like, at all?
Old 09-10-2018, 11:16 AM   #2745
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
Did you follow the 2016 presidential election, like, at all?
Hello? Anyone home? NO HE DID NOT FOLLOW THE ELECTION. Am I on ignore?