LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 255
0 members and 255 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 10:23 AM   #3406
SEC_Chick
I am beyond a rank!

Re: Mother, mother, mother - there's too many of you crying.

In defense of third party and write-in candidate voters, the write-in vote, which without any empirical information, I think we can mainly all agree was conservatives who couldn't stomach voting for Moore, tilted the race to Jones. So while Sebby's vote for Johnson may have caused Hillary to lose, conservative votes for Nick Saban tipped it to Jones. I won't be surprised if Jones loses reelection, provided (and that's a big 'if' based on recent data) that the GOP and primary voters can make better choices in 2020.

Ultimately, I think that the GOP is far better off for having lost the seat. Moore's support, even for otherwise good legislation, would make it even harder to pass, and it's not like they can accomplish much that doesn't suck as it is. Like Trump, asking Moore not to act insane or say outlandish things is like asking a scorpion not to sting.

NeverTrump twitter is alive with Shadenfreude for Bannon. This was a seat Sessions won with 97% of the vote. Flake's seat is probably going down next, and then possibly Corker's. The hilarious thing is that Bannon actually did roughly emulate the presidential election popular vote. Unfortunately that's a big L in Senate races. Exit polling showed that Trump approval was less than 50% IN ALABAMA. While 2018 is certainly shaping up to be challenging for the GOP, losing Alabama actually is less of a loss than winning it would ultimately have been.

Franken's probably pretty sad that he actually has to leave now.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:54 AM   #3407
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Re: Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurgreedMarshall View Post
I think we can agree that we completely disagree on the level of political harm (and the cause) his presence was causing.

TM
Mainly, yes.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:00 AM   #3408
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEC_Chick View Post
I won't be surprised if Jones loses reelection, provided (and that's a big 'if' based on recent data) that the GOP and primary voters can make better choices in 2020.
There's absolutely no way Jones wins if Moore wasn't a total disgrace. Heck, even as a total disgrace, Moore kept it close. Jones won't beat a barely competent GOP candidate in Alabama. The trick is finding one via the GOP primary process.

Quote:
Ultimately, I think that the GOP is far better off for having lost the seat.
If the GOP is smart enough to stop listening to Bannon and his ilk, yes. But then again there's that primary problem.

The GOP needs to realize that it's them he's out for, not Dems. They need to find a solution for him.

Quote:
The hilarious thing is that Bannon actually did roughly emulate the presidential election popular vote.
Hm. Moore ran behind Trump in every Alabama county.

Quote:
He was always leaving.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:01 AM   #3409
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
In defense of third party and write-in candidate voters, the write-in vote, which without any empirical information, I think we can mainly all agree was conservatives who couldn't stomach voting for Moore, tilted the race to Jones. So while Sebby's vote for Johnson may have caused Hillary to lose, conservative votes for Nick Saban tipped it to Jones. I won't be surprised if Jones loses reelection, provided (and that's a big 'if' based on recent data) that the GOP and primary voters can make better choices in 2020.

Ultimately, I think that the GOP is far better off for having lost the seat. Moore's support, even for otherwise good legislation, would make it even harder to pass, and it's not like they can accomplish much that doesn't suck as it is. Like Trump, asking Moore not to act insane or say outlandish things is like asking a scorpion not to sting.

NeverTrump twitter is alive with Shadenfreude for Bannon. This was a seat Sessions won with 97% of the vote. Flake's seat is probably going down next, and then possibly Corker's. The hilarious thing is that Bannon actually did roughly emulate the presidential election popular vote. Unfortunately that's a big L in Senate races. Exit polling showed that Trump approval was less than 50% IN ALABAMA. While 2018 is certainly shaping up to be challenging for the GOP, losing Alabama actually is less of a loss than winning it would ultimately have been.

But what do you think about Cruz? His numbers are through the floor, he came out of the Presidential looking like Trump's personal punching bag but keeps sucking up to him, no one likes him, and he's gotten nothing done. Could he be in trouble?

I think Dem strategists are debating adding Cruz to the list of top tier races, even though that's a wildly expensive race, along with Flake, Heller, and Corker.

The other potential open seat, and I say this as someone who has been through Glioblastoma with a close family member, is McCain's. Even if he miraculously survives this thing for the next year, it wouldn't surprise me if he decided to spend his remaining time with his family.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:02 AM   #3410
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
He was always leaving.
I'm not convinced he's gone, though now having his successor effectively named pushes him closer to the door. What point is there to the announcement you'll resign in the future without doing it now unless you think there is a chance to reverse course?
Old 12-13-2017, 11:04 AM   #3411
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
If you think anyone should credit people with not voting for a lunatic child molester in a two party race, your delusion is complete.

TM
Old 12-13-2017, 11:07 AM   #3412
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
If you think anyone should credit people with not voting for a lunatic child molester in a two party race, your delusion is complete.

TM
It's really a sign of how unhinged conservatives are when they pat themselves on the back for voting for a football coach with no interest in the job rather than a bigoted child molester, all because they can't possibly bring themselves to vote for a smart moderate career prosecutor.

The kids see how unhinged the whole conservative shtick is. Even in Alabama, you're seeing an overwhelming Democratic vote among the younger half of the electorate.

Last edited by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy; 12-13-2017 at 11:09 AM..
Old 12-13-2017, 11:10 AM   #3413
Not Bob

He told me several times that he didn’t like my kind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
Dead on, and more persuasive that what I posted. Please disregard my attempt to use logic and experience with Sebby.
No, your original post was correct. Sebby is engaging in a bit of hyperbole, but the scenario he describes is not as unusual as one would like to think.

If I can step out of my schtick for a moment, I often handle employment matters for certain types of companies. I generally advise them to follow the route that you and Hank described prior to termination so that it nips any potentional claims in the bud. A nice severance package - especially one with continuation of insurance coverage pre-COBRA - usually does the trick.

I have been brought into situations after they terminate someone who is in a protected class and who suggested that the stated reason for termination was a pretext for illegal discrimination. Depending upon the situation, we’d usually try to work something out - two weeks salary and soothing words from Not Bob often worked.

Last edited by Not Bob; 12-13-2017 at 11:15 AM..
Old 12-13-2017, 11:12 AM   #3414
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
If the GOP is smart enough to stop listening to Bannon and his ilk, yes. But then again there's that primary problem.

The GOP needs to realize that it's them he's out for, not Dems. They need to find a solution for him.
There is nothing particularly new or unique about Bannon. The GOP is the party of reaction, and much of it is in perpetual reaction against its own establishment. Today's Bannon is yesterday's Gingrich. There is no solution for this -- it is integral to what motivates conservatism. There is always the urge to move to the right, not to be anywhere in particular.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 12-13-2017, 11:32 AM   #3415
SEC_Chick
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
But what do you think about Cruz? His numbers are through the floor, he came out of the Presidential looking like Trump's personal punching bag but keeps sucking up to him, no one likes him, and he's gotten nothing done. Could he be in trouble?

I think Dem strategists are debating adding Cruz to the list of top tier races, even though that's a wildly expensive race, along with Flake, Heller, and Corker.

The other potential open seat, and I say this as someone who has been through Glioblastoma with a close family member, is McCain's. Even if he miraculously survives this thing for the next year, it wouldn't surprise me if he decided to spend his remaining time with his family.
I feel embarrassed for Cruz, frankly. But I don't see Alabama happening here. It seems that the prominent Texas Ds aren't looking to blow their political capital on a loss. I don't really think he's open to a primary challenge, though, because it would be pretty difficult to primary him from the right, and a moderate wouldn't beat him either. I would like to think that Alabama was the vomiting up of the nationalist ipecac so that a Trumpist challenger would shake out in the primary. If they could find a non-kooky Texas Independence/Separatist candidate, it would be game on, though.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:37 AM   #3416
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Re: He told me several times that he didn’t like my kind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Bob View Post
I have been brought into situations after they terminate someone who is in a protected class and who suggested that the stated reason for termination was a pretext for illegal discrimination. Depending upon the situation, we’d usually try to work something out - two weeks salary and soothing words from Not Bob often worked.
I'm going to ask this as nicely as possible. Are you telling me that in each of these cases you knew that the stated reason was not a pretext? Or, was there enough there that the company did not want to even have the discussion (or more likely, have it made public)?

And to bring this back to the original point, you're telling me that the danger of not having clear objective standards as to what constitutes harassment (or, as it seems based on your response, discrimination) that we are in danger of people of a protected class gaming the system for that sweet, sweet two-weeks worth of salary severance cash?

TM
Old 12-13-2017, 11:45 AM   #3417
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
I'm not convinced he's gone, though now having his successor effectively named pushes him closer to the door. What point is there to the announcement you'll resign in the future without doing it now unless you think there is a chance to reverse course?
The point was that it takes time to transition, leaves him as a player in the behind the scenes negotiation over who will be appointed to replace him and lets him vote until there's someone else in place to vote. He was always going.
Old 12-13-2017, 12:05 PM   #3418
Pretty Little Flower

Quote:

TM
While it seems odd to be so happy that a pro-slavery, homophobic child molester was narrowly defeated for a U.S. Senate seat, in a dark dark world, you need to treasure the occasional rays of light, which my wife and I did with a freshly-opened bottle of Oban 14 as we watched Jones' speech. Let this be this last thing we ever see about Moore or his campaign:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFYRkzznsc0

I am not sorry.
Old 12-13-2017, 12:09 PM   #3419
Not Bob

Re: He told me several times that he didn’t like my kind.

Quote:
I'm going to ask this as nicely as possible. Are you telling me that in each of these cases you knew that the stated reason was not a pretext? Or, was there enough there that the company did not want to even have the discussion (or more likely, have it made public)?
Absolutely not saying that. I can think of one example off the top of my head where there was discrimation on race and over-40 status. That guy went to the state and later reached a settlement with the firm’s EPL carrier. More common is the situation where there’s an open question about discrimination and whether it’s enough to get past a motion to dismiss (I’ve also handled cases for employees who were victims of discrimination, and won a six figure award for one).

Quote:
And to bring this back to the original point, you're telling me that the danger of not having clear objective standards as to what constitutes harassment (or, as it seems based on your response, discrimination) that we are in danger of people of a protected class gaming the system for that sweet, sweet two-weeks worth of salary severance cash?

TM
Nope. I don’t think anyone is intentionally gaming the system. I think there are objective standards for harassment and discrimination - we all learned about the reasonable person test in first year torts. What I am saying is that discrimination claims - valid and frivolous- often come up for the first time when an employee is let go.

And I think the test many lawyers use in looking at the validity of these claims is not whether discrimination or some sort took place, but whether the claim will satisfy what appears to becoming a higher standard under federal law. Heck, in the case I won, the employee was (among other things) “encouraged” to attend swinging parties with her boss. And that wasnt viewed as a valid claim, but his cutting her bonus for an arguable drop in production was. Go figure.
Old 12-13-2017, 12:37 PM   #3420
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretty Little Flower View Post
While it seems odd to be so happy that a pro-slavery, homophobic child molester was narrowly defeated for a U.S. Senate seat, in a dark dark world, you need to treasure the occasional rays of light, which my wife and I did with a freshly-opened bottle of Oban 14 as we watched Jones' speech. Let this be this last thing we ever see about Moore or his campaign:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFYRkzznsc0
I bet he runs again in 2020. He is like the Energizer Bunny of Alabama politics. Or Lazarus, if you prefer that sort of thing.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Closed Thread