LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 188
0 members and 188 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 11:53 AM   #4006
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Re: Distinction Deniers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
Is there anyone worse qualified to make that argument?
I note he did that with a manel. He may have a penis but he has no balls.
Old 01-22-2018, 01:04 PM   #4007
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

An out of control trolley is barreling down the tracks heading for eight people. You can pull a switch and send the trolley towards a track where there is just one person, but that person is your client. Do you pull the switch?
Old 01-22-2018, 01:11 PM   #4008
Did you just call me Coltrane?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
An out of control trolley is barreling down the tracks heading for eight people. You can pull a switch and send the trolley towards a track where there is just one person, but that person is your client. Do you pull the switch?
Is it the old racist Indian client?
Old 01-22-2018, 01:12 PM   #4009
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Hold on, let me go sign a retention agreement with Sebastian Gorka.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 01-22-2018, 02:06 PM   #4010
SEC_Chick
I am beyond a rank!

Re: Mother, mother, mother - there's too many of you crying.

I never thought I'd live to see the Republicans winning a government shutdown battle. And post tax reform polling is far kinder to the GOP than I anticipated.

I survived net neutrality, tax reform, and now the #SchumerShutdown. Bring on the zombie apocalypse!
Old 01-22-2018, 02:36 PM   #4011
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEC_Chick View Post
I never thought I'd live to see the Republicans winning a government shutdown battle. And post tax reform polling is far kinder to the GOP than I anticipated.

I survived net neutrality, tax reform, and now the #SchumerShutdown. Bring on the zombie apocalypse!
I think everyone perceives them winning this one.

Dems got CHIP through at the cost of three weeks and then we do it again with DACA up front.

Republicans got CHIP through without having a clean vote on it, something a lot of Rs in deep red districts feared.

And a bunch of the leadership gets to go to Davos and on their other junkets.

But we'll see what it looks like next time around. The big development really is that the Rs have fully embraced being anti-Dreamer.

Though, overall, the big development right now really is that the Turks are bombing the Kurds. We're into the next phase of war in the Middle East.
Old 01-22-2018, 03:13 PM   #4012
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
I think everyone perceives them winning this one.

Dems got CHIP through at the cost of three weeks and then we do it again with DACA up front.

Republicans got CHIP through without having a clean vote on it, something a lot of Rs in deep red districts feared.

And a bunch of the leadership gets to go to Davos and on their other junkets.

But we'll see what it looks like next time around. The big development really is that the Rs have fully embraced being anti-Dreamer.
Democrats should credit Kelly for the compromise and watch Trump blow the bill straight the fuck up.

TM

Last edited by ThurgreedMarshall; 01-22-2018 at 03:25 PM..
Old 01-22-2018, 03:38 PM   #4013
SEC_Chick
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurgreedMarshall View Post
Democrats should credit Kelly for the compromise and watch Trump blow the bill straight the fuck up.

TM
Reportedly (by Vanity Fair on Twitter), Ivanka is already leading the search for Kelly's replacement.
Old 01-22-2018, 03:56 PM   #4014
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:

TM
Nah, we want CHIP. We should just thank whoever we want fired next after it's signed.

Really, there should be some kind of rule giving the minority the ability to bring an occasional bill, maybe three or four a year, to the floor. For Dems, the inability to get either CHIP or DACA to the floor despite their popularity leads to the need to hold up the CR, and I concede similarly that the rare bill the Rs would have brought up under that kind of provision in Democratic controlled house or senate would have been things that probably should have passed.

And without the pressure from these bills, getting to a CR would be much simplified.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:51 PM   #4015
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
Nah, we want CHIP. We should just thank whoever we want fired next after it's signed.

Really, there should be some kind of rule giving the minority the ability to bring an occasional bill, maybe three or four a year, to the floor. For Dems, the inability to get either CHIP or DACA to the floor despite their popularity leads to the need to hold up the CR, and I concede similarly that the rare bill the Rs would have brought up under that kind of provision in Democratic controlled house or senate would have been things that probably should have passed.

And without the pressure from these bills, getting to a CR would be much simplified.
Look, I know we all want CHIP funded and a clean DACA. And it would be awful for families to be destroyed because Republicans are assholes. But I'm at the point where I'd almost rather let Republicans go ahead and cut off their own dicks--politically speaking, although I'd rather it be literal--such that the political losses over the next two election cycles are so huge that they are out of control for 10-12 years.

(And, yes, I understand this makes me sound slightly Susan Sarandish, but I'm sick of all this shit.)

TM
Old 01-22-2018, 06:06 PM   #4016
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Look, I know we all want CHIP funded and a clean DACA. And it would be awful for families to be destroyed because Republicans are assholes. But I'm at the point where I'd almost rather let Republicans go ahead and cut off their own dicks--politically speaking, although I'd rather it be literal--such that the political losses over the next two election cycles are so huge that they are out of control for 10-12 years.

(And, yes, I understand this makes me sound slightly Susan Sarandish, but I'm sick of all this shit.)
If the House of Representatives doesn't want to vote to authorize DACA, if POTUS sticks to the pretense that it's illegal, and if the courts don't reverse that call, then there's nothing Democrats can do to protect Dreamers. The biggest thing that has changed in the last several days is that after signaling that he would accept a deal to save DACA, Trump reversed course ("shithole") and took a harder line. Democrats can't control this.

There are at least some Republicans who want to protect the Dreamers and at least some who want to screw them. I suspect many would like to signal to their base that they are in the latter camp while not actually doing anything to screw them. IMO, when the issue becomes wrapped into the brinksmanship of a shutdown, Republicans' preferences become a function of partisanship, reaction and a general desire to signal dominance, which makes it harder to strike a deal. In the position, Republicans who would like to cut a deal with Democrats on the substance can't, because they can't afford to be seen to compromise.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 01-22-2018, 06:23 PM   #4017
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:

TM
I am completely sympathetic.

I think DACA is going to be a battle royale that defines the parties, and we're going to have that fight and the Rs are going to behave like assholes/conservatives (sorry to be redundant there) and the Dems are going to be both rational and compassionate but we are also likely going to lose this round.

But CHIP didn't need to be that battle, and it helps a lot of people. The key is we've got to keep and refocus the anger at the Rs in three weeks, not spend it on the Ds in the meantime.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:29 PM   #4018
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
I am completely sympathetic.

I think DACA is going to be a battle royale that defines the parties, and we're going to have that fight and the Rs are going to behave like assholes/conservatives (sorry to be redundant there) and the Dems are going to be both rational and compassionate but we are also likely going to lose this round.

But CHIP didn't need to be that battle, and it helps a lot of people. The key is we've got to keep and refocus the anger at the Rs in three weeks, not spend it on the Ds in the meantime.
The more royale the battle, the harder it is for Republicans to vote to save DACA, and the worse the outcome for Dreamers.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:34 AM   #4019
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
The more royale the battle, the harder it is for Republicans to vote to save DACA, and the worse the outcome for Dreamers.
Like I said, we're likely going to lose that battle. The Rs want to define themselves as hardcore anti-immigrant, especially anti-non-white-immigrant. And they have power over the institutions necessary to let them do that. They are going to screw the Dreamers.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:57 AM   #4020
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Like I said, we're likely going to lose that battle. The Rs want to define themselves as hardcore anti-immigrant, especially anti-non-white-immigrant. And they have power over the institutions necessary to let them do that. They are going to screw the Dreamers.
I haven't followed the DACA thing much (other than those stories about the deportation of the Mexican and Polish guys who've been here for 30 years). But I recall hearing that 75% of Republicans and 90% of Democrats polled support DACA.

What constituency exactly is the GOP catering to here? Am I missing something, or is this just political suicide? Putting aside the indecency of their position, the numbers don't justify it.