LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > The Fashionable

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 341
0 members and 341 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Old 03-10-2016, 01:03 AM   #1591
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Re: Top 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Name a sock who has been to Chicago w/o dining with Wonk? How do you define an institution?
I have been to Chicago and I have dined with Wonk, but I have been to Chicago w/o dining with Wonk, sad to say.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Tyrone Slothrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 09:28 AM   #1592
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
I have been to Chicago and I have dined with Wonk, but I have been to Chicago w/o dining with Wonk, sad to say.
Those that have, no longer have the chance.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:50 AM   #1593
Sidd Finch
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
Those that have, no longer have the chance.
Chicago weeps. The Greek food was killer.

In a good way. The cocktails were almost-killer, and that worried me tremendously.
Old 03-10-2016, 11:28 AM   #1594
notcasesensitive
Flaired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Bob View Post
Like a .230 hitting shortstop breaking up a no-hitter, I enter. Hi!

So, the missus and I recently discovered the joys of "Jane the Virgin." Two thumbs up. Funny, sweet, silly, and deep (well, relatively) all at the same time.

Also, I finally saw "Spotlight." Incredible. It took me back to conversations with a proud Bostonian and beloved former poster at the old place who was wrestling with the fact that her Church had been complicit in so much evil.

And seeing the movie reminded me of Cardinal Law, who managed to be both a courageous priest fighting for civil rights in his early career at various parishes in the South in the 1960s and the man who, as Archbishop of Boston, allowed his clergy to rape children with impunity and to cover it up. I suspect he will stay in Rome until he dies.

The scandal saddened me then and it saddens me now. It makes me question my residual faith. I guess, like the former priest turned psychologist told Mark Ruffalo's character on the phone after talking about the coverup, I remain a sorta Catholic because the Church is not the people who run it at any given time.

Finally, I saw Hamilton on a visit to TCOTU a few months ago. It is awesome, music and all (I know! Old white guy appreciates hip-hop influenced show tunes!) and made me want to read Ron Chernow's biography.

Carry on. And, uh, TM - if you want to keep going for the record, let me know and I will delete this post.
I love Jane the Virgin. So clever and original. I read an article about the man who does the narration and how worried he was that doing that accent was going to play into stereotypes in a bad way, but his part turned out to be one of the best things in the show.
Old 03-11-2016, 06:41 AM   #1596
Not Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by notcasesensitive View Post
I love Jane the Virgin. So clever and original. I read an article about the man who does the narration and how worried he was that doing that accent was going to play into stereotypes in a bad way, but his part turned out to be one of the best things in the show.
It really is. And his asides that appear on the screen. And, unlike other shows, they seem to be resisting the urge to overdo it. Mrs. Not Bob and I are about halfway through season one on Netflix. It seems from the periodic tweets I see from TV critics that it's still really good.

We're also watching "The Americans" on Amazon streaming or whatever it's called. (Side note - if you have Amazon Prime, it's free. Don't know why we didn't start sooner. They have things that Netflix doesn't, like Felicity the Spy, so it's worth the initial annoyance* of the sign up process.)

We were watching it when it first came out, but missed the third episode, and our cable company's DVR couldn't figure out the actual time that the show aired, so we kinda gave up. Anyway, we're watching now and it's great brain candy. Plus, it's set in 1981 and that is just fun for me. They're not quite up to Mad Men level of set design, but I don't think I've seen an anachronism yet. The smokey brown wine glasses on the table as Phillip and Elizabeth discussed a coded message were a total Proustian cookie moment for me - it was a few years after the move from the Ancestral Homeland and I was back in the kitchen of one of my neighborhood friends, and his mother was drinking Mateus rose from a identical glass.

Anyway, carry on.

*We watch our streaming stuff via the xBox 360 that I stole from my daughter who grew tired of Guitar Hero a few years ago. It was kind of a pain to find, download, and install the Amazon app - especially compared to how easy Netflix was. But whatever.
Not Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 09:11 AM   #1597
Hank Chinaski

Re: No Faith in the Moral Standards of the Players as a Group

sometimes I regret that Fringey and I didn't work out, but then I see a report like this, and think, maybe it's for the best?

{too soon?}
Old 03-11-2016, 09:13 AM   #1598
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
It really is. And his asides that appear on the screen. And, unlike other shows, they seem to be resisting the urge to overdo it. Mrs. Not Bob and I are about halfway through season one on Netflix. It seems from the periodic tweets I see from TV critics that it's still really good.

The smokey brown wine glasses on the table as Phillip and Elizabeth discussed a coded message were a total Proustian cookie moment for me -
Spoiler alert please?
Old 03-11-2016, 09:55 AM   #1599
Not Bob

Quote:
Spoiler alert please?
I deliberately avoided describing the television set in the kitchen and the dinning room table.
Not Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 03:47 PM   #1601
Pretty Little Flower

Swag

I just noticed that on at least one of the labels for the 1974 James Brown single, "My Thang," he is listed as "James Brown - Minister of New New Super Heavy Funk." Thing is, one listen through the single and you realize that he totally backed it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtLrbJFwBWs

I am not sorry.
Pretty Little Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 07:23 PM   #1602
notcasesensitive
Flaired.

Quote:

We're also watching "The Americans" on Amazon streaming or whatever it's called. (Side note - if you have Amazon Prime, it's free. Don't know why we didn't start sooner. They have things that Netflix doesn't, like Felicity the Spy, so it's worth the initial annoyance* of the sign up process.)

We were watching it when it first came out, but missed the third episode, and our cable company's DVR couldn't figure out the actual time that the show aired, so we kinda gave up. Anyway, we're watching now and it's great brain candy. Plus, it's set in 1981 and that is just fun for me. They're not quite up to Mad Men level of set design, but I don't think I've seen an anachronism yet. The smokey brown wine glasses on the table as Phillip and Elizabeth discussed a coded message were a total Proustian cookie moment for me - it was a few years after the move from the Ancestral Homeland and I was back in the kitchen of one of my neighborhood friends, and his mother was drinking Mateus rose from a identical glass.

Anyway, carry on.

*We watch our streaming stuff via the xBox 360 that I stole from my daughter who grew tired of Guitar Hero a few years ago. It was kind of a pain to find, download, and install the Amazon app - especially compared to how easy Netflix was. But whatever.
Comment to your side note: Even worse, I signed up for AMazon Prime this year after years of fighting it and they totally screwed me over for watching streaming on my 2011 LG tv. It used to have the app loaded up (an ex had prime so we watched streaming sometimes on my tv), but they (Amazon) took it off my model because of some dispute they have with LG. So now, short of attaching my laptop, I can't watch Amazon streaming on my tv. This is likely to affect my decision to renew next year. It seems really shortsighted for a streaming service that is trying to get viewers to intentionally cut out a market they already had. Lame-o.
Old 03-16-2016, 11:48 AM   #1605
Hank Chinaski

Re: No Faith in the Moral Standards of the Players as a Group

Spoiler HofC Spoiler

Not quite through the season but Frank is crazy to make Claire VP. She is too ambitious. Dangerous. You didn't see Bill tempt Hillary that way.