LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > The Fashionable

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 128
0 members and 128 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Old 11-18-2016, 12:07 PM   #2026
Pretty Little Flower

Re: Be cool or be cast out.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
"Spirit of the Radio" is one of the best four minutes in all of rock music. But yes, it's a blind squirrel finding a 300lb acorn.
Wow, really? O.K., I went back and listened to this song and there is SO much going on with it (and it is actually five minutes). Let's unpack this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Tq-UsaRchI

Starts with typical Rush noodling combined with math-rocky drum licks. Grade: C-

O.K., the riff at 00:17 does rock, and resulted in much head bobbing in my youth. Grade: A (but it only last 10 seconds!)

The song then transitions into sort nondescript Rushy power prog rock. Kind of filler for the song. Grade: B-

Around 1:30 into the song, we get that noodling arpeggio riff from the beginning with some weird pizzicato guitar in the background to create dramatic effect. And then back to the generic prog rock section. Grade: B-

The weird pizzicato starts again at 2:30, then the noodling. Invisible airways crackling with life? Not feeling that. Then an instrumental break ending with the noodling arpeggio as another transition section. Grade B (it's a little better with less singing).

3:39 in, and the riff is back! But it only lasts ten seconds before transitioning abruptly into this weird reggae break? What? Reggae break? Then the riff returns with the dramatic pronouncement "Concert halls!" (with accompanying background audience cheering!). Then more weird reggae and something about salesmen. "Aw, salesmen!!!!" Too confused to give this section a grade.

O.K., I'll give props to the screaming guitar solo at 4:19, which transitions back to the riff again (I notice the riff is slower than it was at the beginning, with gives the desired dramatic effect), with repeated piano chords bringing the song to a strong climax. Oh wait, no, they couldn't just end it with the power chord, they had to bring back that fucking noodling arpeggio for one last masturbatory flourish before a few more power chord stomps to finally finish this thing off. They would have gotten a straight A for the finish if they had just showed the restraint necessary to end the song four seconds before they did. Grade: A-

Whew, that was an exhausting trip back to my youth.

I am not sorry.
Pretty Little Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 01:58 PM   #2027
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Re: Pride and joy and greed and sex/that's what makes our town the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatwhitenorthchick View Post
FFS, now that will be in my head.

I think my head just has really bad taste in music.
when you post "head" in any context, then my "brain bug" is old FB posts
Old 11-18-2016, 05:15 PM   #2028
Icky Thump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretty Little Flower View Post
Just because a song is an earworm does not mean it has merit.
Case in point.
Old 11-21-2016, 11:53 AM   #2029
Not Bob

And now you find yourself in '82.

Asia

So, as I think I mentioned, some albums have had a negative influence on your old friend Not Bob. "Asia," the self titled debut album by the supposed supergroup Asia is one example.

I cannot tell you how much hype preceded this release on Podunkville's preeminent AOR FM station, 97 Rock. One could not listen for more than an hour without hearing some breathless reference to how awesome it was going to be -- an amazing work of art put together by an amazing collection of musicians from Yes, King Crimson, and Emerson Lake and Palmer.

I wanted to like it -- I really did. But maybe because I was beginning to hang out with the Punk Rock Girl* and listening to Elvis Costello, the Police, and early Prince, I hated it. Really and truly despised it. And, for the first time in young Not Bob's life, he publicly rejected the lemming-like musical taste of his friends. (This is also when he found the courage to tell people that he didn't like Led Zeppelin, either.)

Maybe I needed someone else to introduce me to Not Mainstream music** for me to come to the realization that corporate rock sucked. Or maybe it was that I realized that I didn't like prog rock (it's true that I never was a big fan of Yes), but Asia was the album that drove it home for me.

*Yes, for the millionth time, I know that the music she introduced me to wasn't really punk (with the possible exception of the Clash, depending upon your definition of the Clash's genre). She got the nickname at the time from an older co-worker.

**Yes, I understand that Elvis circa "My Aim Is True" and the Police circa "Zenyatta Mondatta" were considered mainstream or even passe in some areas of the country at the time, but I can assure you that this was Not So in Podunkville.

Last edited by Not Bob; 11-21-2016 at 12:04 PM..
Not Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 03:01 PM   #2030
Pretty Little Flower

Re: And now you find yourself in '82.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Bob View Post
Asia

So, as I think I mentioned, some albums have had a negative influence on your old friend Not Bob. "Asia," the self titled debut album by the supposed supergroup Asia is one example.

I cannot tell you how much hype preceded this release on Podunkville's preeminent AOR FM station, 97 Rock. One could not listen for more than an hour without hearing some breathless reference to how awesome it was going to be -- an amazing work of art put together by an amazing collection of musicians from Yes, King Crimson, and Emerson Lake and Palmer.

I wanted to like it -- I really did. But maybe because I was beginning to hang out with the Punk Rock Girl* and listening to Elvis Costello, the Police, and early Prince, I hated it. Really and truly despised it. And, for the first time in young Not Bob's life, he publicly rejected the lemming-like musical taste of his friends. (This is also when he found the courage to tell people that he didn't like Led Zeppelin, either.)

Maybe I needed someone else to introduce me to Not Mainstream music** for me to come to the realization that corporate rock sucked. Or maybe it was that I realized that I didn't like prog rock (it's true that I never was a big fan of Yes), but Asia was the album that drove it home for me.

*Yes, for the millionth time, I know that the music she introduced me to wasn't really punk (with the possible exception of the Clash, depending upon your definition of the Clash's genre). She got the nickname at the time from an older co-worker.

**Yes, I understand that Elvis circa "My Aim Is True" and the Police circa "Zenyatta Mondatta" were considered mainstream or even passe in some areas of the country at the time, but I can assure you that this was Not So in Podunkville.
I can honestly say I have given no thought whatsoever to the band Asia in over twenty years. I did think about ToTo recently (and briefly) due to a discussion about yacht rock, but never Asia. I am hoping for another twenty.

I am not sorry.
Old 11-21-2016, 04:46 PM   #2031
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icky Thump View Post
Sometimes I find myself absently humming "Fight Song" longing for the days gone by.
Old 11-21-2016, 04:57 PM   #2032
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
Sometimes I find myself absently humming "Fight Song" longing for the days gone by.
I hate you right now.
Adder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 07:55 PM   #2034
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
(This is also when he found the courage to tell people that he didn't like Led Zeppelin, either.)
"We went into the living room, s0meone was blasting Zeppelin, it sounded good, I felt ashamed, I knew every drum fill. "(Jawbreaker (the real 'only band that matters')

Quote:
**Yes, I understand that Elvis circa "My Aim Is True" and the Police circa "Zenyatta Mondatta" were considered mainstream or even passe in some areas of the country at the time, but I can assure you that this was Not So in Podunkville.[/SIZE]
"you're not punk, and I'm telling everyone, save your breath I never was one." (Jawbreaker (A band that never used a fucking horn))
Old 11-21-2016, 09:44 PM   #2035
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
I can honestly say I have given no thought whatsoever to the band Asia in over twenty years. I did think about ToTo recently (and briefly) due to a discussion about yacht rock, but never Asia. I am hoping for another twenty.
Dissent: "Heat of the Moment"

I never turn it on. But if it's on, I cannot turn it off.
Old 11-21-2016, 09:49 PM   #2036
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Wow, really? O.K., I went back and listened to this song and there is SO much going on with it (and it is actually five minutes). Let's unpack this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Tq-UsaRchI

Starts with typical Rush noodling combined with math-rocky drum licks. Grade: C-

O.K., the riff at 00:17 does rock, and resulted in much head bobbing in my youth. Grade: A (but it only last 10 seconds!)

The song then transitions into sort nondescript Rushy power prog rock. Kind of filler for the song. Grade: B-

Around 1:30 into the song, we get that noodling arpeggio riff from the beginning with some weird pizzicato guitar in the background to create dramatic effect. And then back to the generic prog rock section. Grade: B-

The weird pizzicato starts again at 2:30, then the noodling. Invisible airways crackling with life? Not feeling that. Then an instrumental break ending with the noodling arpeggio as another transition section. Grade B (it's a little better with less singing).

3:39 in, and the riff is back! But it only lasts ten seconds before transitioning abruptly into this weird reggae break? What? Reggae break? Then the riff returns with the dramatic pronouncement "Concert halls!" (with accompanying background audience cheering!). Then more weird reggae and something about salesmen. "Aw, salesmen!!!!" Too confused to give this section a grade.

O.K., I'll give props to the screaming guitar solo at 4:19, which transitions back to the riff again (I notice the riff is slower than it was at the beginning, with gives the desired dramatic effect), with repeated piano chords bringing the song to a strong climax. Oh wait, no, they couldn't just end it with the power chord, they had to bring back that fucking noodling arpeggio for one last masturbatory flourish before a few more power chord stomps to finally finish this thing off. They would have gotten a straight A for the finish if they had just showed the restraint necessary to end the song four seconds before they did. Grade: A-

Whew, that was an exhausting trip back to my youth.
You forgot the Simon & Garfunkel homage. Because when you think Canadian power trio reggae, who else to cite but the pioneers themselves?
Old 11-21-2016, 09:56 PM   #2037
Pretty Little Flower

Quote:
Dissent: "Heat of the Moment"

I never turn it on. But if it's on, I cannot turn it off.
I hope you don't go around admitting that under your real name. That shit can come back to haunt you.

I am not sorry.
Old 11-21-2016, 09:59 PM   #2038
Pretty Little Flower

Quote:
You forgot the Simon & Garfunkel homage. Because when you think Canadian power trio reggae, who else to cite but the pioneers themselves?
I did not know about the S&G homage. I had to look it up. I'm more confused than ever.

I am not sorry.
Old 11-22-2016, 05:02 PM   #2039
Replaced_Texan
Random Syndicate (admin)

Re: It's either that or suicide....

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatwhitenorthchick View Post
Oh, they're not so bad -- just never did anything for me. I remember my friend* Sebastian Bierk (now Bach) used to sing "I want you, to want me" (just that line) a lot, and it was annoying. I was into other more girly stuff as a kid.

*not really a friend, just part of the group of kids whom I would walk to school together with.
I will see him at some point in the coming weekend. I saw he was going to be in the Gilmore Girls revival.
"In the olden days before the internet, you'd take this sort of person for a ride out into the woods and shoot them, as Darwin intended, before he could spawn."--Will the Vampire People Leave the Lobby? pg 79
Replaced_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 08:24 PM   #2040
notcasesensitive
Flaired.

Quote:
Everyone will mainly agree that I am mostly correct when I say that (1) Not Bob's musical taste is middlebrow and white bread, and (2) Triumph is by far and away the best power rock trio from Canada.

Suck it, Rush fans - sure, sure the maples scream oppression, blah blah blah. But Geddy Lee's nasally whine is almost as annoying as listening to a Rush fan wax poetic about Ayn Rand and objectivisim while smoking pot in a dorm room.

*I have a soft spot for "Subdivisions." Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself.** Suck it.

**ETA: That Walt Whitman line might make a good motto for the Politics board. Assuming we aren't all nuked into radioactive ash before we hit 4K.
1. I just came across this discussion today and I want to thank my pseudo-big-brother for starting up a Not Politics discussion. You are the best internet fake big bro a girl could have!

2. Neither Triumph nor Rush really do anything for me, BUT when I was a nerdy 7th grader, my nerdy best friend and I decided that we were Bob and Doug McKenzie (I was Bob) and we made ourselves baseball shirts with those names on back and played The Great White North album (figuratively*) to death. Last week I took a trip to Florida and caught up with said 7th-grade-best-friend and in advance of the trip she sent me a YouTube of the song. Listening to it, I realized (A) Doug was a total hosehead to Bob during that song and (B) Geddy Lee's part is the least worthwhile part of the song.

* Hi Not Bob!