LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 145
0 members and 145 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 02:29 PM   #136
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Re: Mother, mother, mother - there's too many of you crying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
Meeting with the Russian the next day, and letting Russian media in but keeping US media out, and inviting Kissinger is just bizarre.
Do you think Kissinger may really be Mephistopheles, there to collect the soul?
Old 05-10-2017, 03:47 PM   #137
sebastian_dangerfield

Re: Easy Comey...,

Quote:
You have become a cartoon. A total fucking cartoon. You argue that Trump has hired smart competent moderate people (with a few exceptions), yet tell us not to worry about the Comey firing because neither he nor his staff is smart enough to figure out that firing the person who is leading the investigation against you might have a chilling effect on that investigation.
I'm correct about some of his staff, incorrect about others. I may also have been incorrect about some seeming competent and moderate at the outset, and later turning out to not be so competent or moderate.

These things are fluid. Time progresses, and each situation is its own subjective little universe.

Quote:
You repeatedly point out that Bill Clinton resorted to racist tactics with respect to sentencing guidelines and race-based scare tactics with respect to the criminal justice system in general, but we don't have to worry about racism because nobody who is racist could ever become wealthy or successful -- they are all "losers."
The problematic racists of the moment (Trump's base) are disproportionately losers. That a quant fund freak happens to be a racist doesn't undo this.

Quote:
Is it possible to have less than zero credibility? Is that what you are shooting for? You are like the opposite of the boy who cried wolf. You could have an entire wolf pack gnawing on your balls and you would swear that there's nothing to be concerned about because everyone knows that wolves like to nibble but won't actually bite.
I'm actually telling you that you're winning. You hate Trump. Given enough rope, people like Trump hang themselves. Rather than having its panties in a twist and hair on fire, the Left might instead wallow in victory? Firing Comey has utterly tanked what little credibility Trump had left.
Old 05-10-2017, 04:05 PM   #138
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
The problematic racists
Tell me more about the unproblematic racists.

Quote:
of the moment (Trump's base) are disproportionately losers.
I'm not sure why you think loser racists are Trump's base but non-loser racists aren't. Other than Mercer, you think the non-loser racists didn't back him?
Old 05-10-2017, 05:17 PM   #139
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
Tell me more about the unproblematic racists.
Those are the successful ones who have control over almost every single significant business and who make hiring and investment decisions, who currently control this country's legislation and own our politicians. Actually, they are often our politicians, judges, police commissioners, etc. But their ability to affect political races through their direct vote is low compared with the problematic racists. I think that's what he's saying.

TM
Old 05-10-2017, 05:20 PM   #140
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurgreedMarshall View Post
Those are the successful ones who have control over almost every single significant business and who make hiring and investment decisions, who currently control this country's legislation and own our politicians. Actually, they are often our politicians, judges, police commissioners, etc. But their ability to affect political races through their direct vote is low compared with the problematic racists. I think that's what he's saying.

TM
You mean their ability to affect races is low because all they do is provide the financing, but the other ones provide the votes?

I'm glad money has so little influence on the process.
Old 05-10-2017, 05:32 PM   #141
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
[Sebby] mean[s] their ability to affect races is low because all they do is provide the financing, but the other ones provide the votes?
Yes.

TM
Old 05-10-2017, 07:03 PM   #142
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Re: ...or an ativan

Quote:
Trump is clearly out of his fucking mind, and I'm shocked no one is able to take his twitter feed away from him.
Not to repeat the first year of law school for you, but the Constitution doesn't let anyone else do that.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 05-10-2017, 07:05 PM   #143
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
The problematic racists of the moment (Trump's base) are disproportionately losers.
Trump's base is the Republican Party. Until they turn on him, he can do whatever he wants. And they aren't turning on him.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 05-11-2017, 12:02 AM   #144
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Re: Mother, mother, mother - there's too many of you crying.

Old 05-11-2017, 09:59 AM   #145
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
Not to repeat the first year of law school for you, but the Constitution doesn't let anyone else do that.
This is an example of why so few lawyers moonlight as comics.

Conway corralled Trump in the campaign. She could get him off Twitter.

He's much more disciplined in other mediums. Whoever's doing his Instagram has some skills. Slick, coherent, on-point. It's just Twitter where he's a steaming, frothing mess.

Have not seen his FB or Snapchat.
Old 05-11-2017, 10:02 AM   #146
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
Trump's base is the Republican Party. Until they turn on him, he can do whatever he wants. And they aren't turning on him.
He's pushing the envelope with moderates. I'll defend Idi Amin just to take a counterpoint, and I can't defend the Comey firing. It's nuts. You just dont do things like that.
Old 05-11-2017, 10:31 AM   #147
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Damn.

This piece has enough truth in it to be truly terrifying.
_________

'Liberals like to say that we’re playing chess while Trump is playing checkers. What’s really happening is that we’re playing chess, Trump just knocked over the chessboard, and Dems are screaming “technically, you just lost” while Trump shoves our king up our asshole.

The people who can appoint a “special prosecutor” are Donald Trump, Jeff Sessions, and technically Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein. It should go without saying that Donald Trump is not going to call for a special prosecutor to prosecute himself. It should also go without saying that Jeff Sessions, who has in NO WAY “recused” himself from the Russia investigation, is not going to sign off on a serious investigation into whether he colluded with the Russians to influence an election.

The freaking Lannisters have more respect for the rule of law than those two.

And if you are pinning your hopes on Rosenstein, know that he served up Comey’s head on a platter like he was probably ordered to do. There’s not going to be a special prosecutor. We are dealing with people who literally DGAF.

Congress could appoint an “independent commission” without approval from the executive branch. Of course, Congress is controlled by Republicans and Republicans have been playing the “there are no rules” game since America had the audacity to put a black man in charge. Mitch McConnell decided that black presidents only get to president for seven years, instead of eight, and won. “Deficit hawk” Paul Ryan passed a health care bill that will explode the deficit, and made people vote on it before they could read it and score it, and won. Everything that has happened in America over the past few years tells Congressional Republicans that they “win” when they simply ignore the “norms” of American governance.

You think they’ll change now? Why? WHY DO YOU THINK THAT? Again, they’re not playing a “game,” the have raw power and they are executing it. Why do you think they’re going to lube it up for you? Democrats are getting force-fed with a feeding tube, and Chuck Schumer is up there crying about his spoon full of sugar.

I know it doesn’t always seem this way, but American-style government exists by consent. The governed consent to be governed, usually by somebody nearly half of them didn’t vote for. The military consents to be governed by a civilian commander-in-chief, who in turn consents to be checked by Congress and the courts which have no military power. Elected and appointed officials consent to be governed by some old pieces of paper.

Trump does not consent. He doesn’t consent to your norms or your rules. There are only two questions Trump asks himself: “What can I do?” and “What can’t I do?” His power is not unlimited — eventually the world will rise up against him, even if Americans are too docile to do anything — but whatever power he has, he’s going to use.'

http://abovethelaw.com/2017/05/were-...by-your-rules/

TM
Old 05-11-2017, 10:40 AM   #148
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

The Russians are coming!

So apparently the White House story is that they were duped into allowing Russian media access to 45's meeting with Lavrov and the ambassador (not looking up the spelling), which eminently believable. Team Putin set up their victory celebration. And Team 45 wasn't even smart enough to see it coming.

Makes me wonder if they even realize that they're compromised.
Old 05-11-2017, 12:28 PM   #149
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
This is an example of why so few lawyers moonlight as comics.

Conway corralled Trump in the campaign. She could get him off Twitter.

He's much more disciplined in other mediums. Whoever's doing his Instagram has some skills. Slick, coherent, on-point. It's just Twitter where he's a steaming, frothing mess.

Have not seen his FB or Snapchat.
But actually she couldn't. She is the one who has been silenced lately and he still tweets when he wants to.
Old 05-11-2017, 12:30 PM   #150
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
He's pushing the envelope with moderates. I'll defend Idi Amin just to take a counterpoint, and I can't defend the Comey firing. It's nuts. You just dont do things like that.
He has been pushing the envelope with GOP moderates for more than a year now and they have yet to stand up to him. Like Godot, someday they will show up.
Closed Thread