LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 385
0 members and 385 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2021, 06:49 PM   #4216
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Re: Objectively intelligent.

So a thing anyone* who has been in law school knows is the hate most feel for the "gunners," or students who talk too much, ask stupid questions, are clearly full of themselves. It just makes the lectures long and unbearable. In fact, there is a thing called "asshole bingo" where you have a card with the 5 worst offenders crossed with 5 types of dumb questions. We'd be in class, and one of the usual suspects would ask something stupid, and from the back of the room you'd hear "BINGO!"

My son is in his first year of law school. Zoom school is certainly not ideal for a lot of reason, but there is one improvement. His class got a memo on proper Zoom class behavior. Apparently after an especially stupid question someone sent a chat to "All" "I wish this guy would shut up!" And pretty soon a chat fight had broken out.

I would have loved to be able to say it like that. Saying "BINGO!" was passive aggressive, not very satisfying TBH.

*except for the gunners, I suppose? Ty?
Old 01-21-2021, 09:12 PM   #4217
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
So a thing anyone* who has been in law school knows is the hate most feel for the "gunners," or students who talk too much, ask stupid questions, are clearly full of themselves. It just makes the lectures long and unbearable. In fact, there is a thing called "asshole bingo" where you have a card with the 5 worst offenders crossed with 5 types of dumb questions. We'd be in class, and one of the usual suspects would ask something stupid, and from the back of the room you'd hear "BINGO!"

My son is in his first year of law school. Zoom school is certainly not ideal for a lot of reason, but there is one improvement. His class got a memo on proper Zoom class behavior. Apparently after an especially stupid question someone sent a chat to "All" "I wish this guy would shut up!" And pretty soon a chat fight had broken out.

I would have loved to be able to say it like that. Saying "BINGO!" was passive aggressive, not very satisfying TBH.

I went to a school with a strong commitment to the Socratic method. First year, there weren't really any gunners. The professors did a pretty good job of keeping control of the discussion and picking on different people. Not having been to law school with gunners, we didn't really know what we were missing. At the start of the second year, a few of them showed up, having transferred in from other schools. They were ostracized somewhat for being tools, or that was my impression, but it was a little hard to tell how much, because on the one hand none of cared as much by the second year, but on the other hand we all knew each and didn't know them to start with, so the gunner accentuated that.

Our games were more professor-specific. With one Torts professor, the joke was that if he called on you and you didn't know what to say, you could just say, "third-party insurance" and you'd be OK. A friend tried it one day, more as a joke for the rest of us, but it worked, and the professor just moved on to his neighbor.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 01-21-2021, 09:34 PM   #4218
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
I went to a school with a strong commitment to the Socratic method. First year, there weren't really any gunners. The professors did a pretty good job of keeping control of the discussion and picking on different people. Not having been to law school with gunners, we didn't really know what we were missing. At the start of the second year, a few of them showed up, having transferred in from other schools. They were ostracized somewhat for being tools, or that was my impression, but it was a little hard to tell how much, because on the one hand none of cared as much by the second year, but on the other hand we all knew each and didn't know them to start with, so the gunner accentuated that.

Our games were more professor-specific. With one Torts professor, the joke was that if he called on you and you didn't know what to say, you could just say, "third-party insurance" and you'd be OK. A friend tried it one day, more as a joke for the rest of us, but it worked, and the professor just moved on to his neighbor.
at Harvard of course we had people transfer in 2L. Those of us with names on buildings didn’t acknowledge them, but the U did afford them a seat.

But you’re saying people transfer into Florida Coastal?
Old 01-21-2021, 09:44 PM   #4219
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
at Harvard of course we had people transfer in 2L. Those of us with names on buildings didn’t acknowledge them, but the U did afford them a seat.

But you’re saying people transfer into Florida Coastal?
Of all the different places you could have gone with that post, you chose that one?

Sad.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 01-21-2021, 09:52 PM   #4220
LessinSF
Wearing the cranky pants

Quote:

We had different types of professors, but the gunning was taken out of most of the gunners after the first midterms, when most of them did not do well, and those of us who did better were reassured that what we were doing was working. Plus, we had anonymous grading, so ass-kissing did no good. In a 1L section other than mine there was a woman that was so gung-ho, that a version of Bingo arose where everyone dropped their pencil when she spoke. The profs also figured out who was a waste of time and who wasn't - my 3L Remedies professor often called on me when he was done Socratizing with the idiots.
Old 01-21-2021, 10:08 PM   #4221
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Of all the different places you could have gone with that post, you chose that one?

Sad.
Ehh, I posted about the option of hate chatting, and, as you so often say, none of you want to talk about what I wanted to.

Last edited by Hank Chinaski; 01-21-2021 at 10:24 PM..
Old 01-22-2021, 05:32 AM   #4222
Icky Thump

Quote:

Ha ha rookies. Being a gunner for the first three classes is the best way to never get called on again.
Old 01-22-2021, 10:48 AM   #4223
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icky Thump View Post
Ha ha rookies. Being a gunner for the first three classes is the best way to never get called on again.
Night school over here, best way to not get called on is to just pass until em gives up asking you.
Old 01-22-2021, 10:52 AM   #4224
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:

Hate? No hate here, love for everyone.

Besides, if it weren't for them, it would have been much harder to finish my crosswords in the back row.
Old 01-22-2021, 04:22 PM   #4225
Icky Thump

Quote:
Night school over here, best way to not get called on is to just pass until em gives up asking you.
Dude, can't believe people trying to relive law school. Last school that was fun was kindergarten where I did fingerpainting and ate paste.
Old 01-22-2021, 05:05 PM   #4226
LessinSF
Wearing the cranky pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icky Thump View Post
Dude, can't believe people trying to relive law school. Last school that was fun was kindergarten where I did fingerpainting and ate paste.
I enjoyed law school. I was interested in all my classes (except civ pro), but I am a law geek, and I made some lasting friends. Second and third year, I had it figured out, and did my reading in minutes instead of hours. I took as many night classes as possible, so that I could go out every night as late as I liked. And I lived in San Diego and could play golf three days a week in 72 degree weather in February.
Old 01-22-2021, 05:43 PM   #4227
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Originally Posted by icky thump View Post
dude, can't believe people trying to relive law school. Last school that was fun was kindergarten where i did fingerpainting and ate paste.
i was just trying to make the point my son can bitch slap people in classes over zoom chat!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-24-2021, 07:27 PM   #4228
Icky Thump

Quote:
i was just trying to make the point my son can bitch slap people in classes over zoom chat!!!!!!!!!!
A kid my son played LL with is in the SB
Old 01-25-2021, 10:45 AM   #4229
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Originally Posted by icky thump View Post
a kid my son played ll with is in the sb
sb?
Old 01-25-2021, 01:26 PM   #4230
Adder
I am beyond a rank!