LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 41
1 members and 40 guests
Hank Chinaski
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 08:55 AM.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2018, 10:17 PM   #151
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy
Registered User
 
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Government Yard in Trenchtown
Posts: 18,848
Re: We are all Slave now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
I SAID "MAYBE IT'S A CHICKEN/EGG THING" IN MY O.P. you think you invented the thought? We already have a Paigow.
Thou art an egg.
__________________
A wee dram a day!
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 10:18 PM   #152
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy
Registered User
 
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Government Yard in Trenchtown
Posts: 18,848
Re: We are all Slave now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
Sorry, my ESP must have been on the fritz.
You can't make an omelet without breaking eggs.
__________________
A wee dram a day!
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 10:28 PM   #153
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000
 
Hank Chinaski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Corner Office
Posts: 84,040
Re: We are all Slave now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
You can't make an omelet without breaking eggs.
He has me on ignore, but read my post? Whoa?
__________________
alumnus of beating thurgreed in arguments
Hank Chinaski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 11:30 AM   #154
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex
 
Tyrone Slothrop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 30,250
Re: We are all Slave now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
I SAID "MAYBE IT'S A CHICKEN/EGG THING" IN MY O.P. you think you invented the thought? We already have a Paigow.
I thought you were suggesting and I was agreeing. Geesh.
__________________
“Faced with the choice between changing one’s mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof”
- John Kenneth Galbraith
Tyrone Slothrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 11:31 AM   #155
Adder
I am beyond a rank!
 
Adder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 16,039
Re: Quadfecta!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
I think this, too, is bullshit. Teachers get paid very little because the entry barriers are low and because the benefits of good teaching are hard to measure, diffuse, and a common good.
And because the people who want to teach see non-financial remuneration in it too.
Adder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 12:35 PM   #156
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex
 
Tyrone Slothrop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 30,250
Re: Quadfecta!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
And because the people who want to teach see non-financial remuneration in it too.
And because it was a socially acceptable way, for years, for women to work outside the house and was essentially subsidized by the other limitations on women's work.
__________________
“Faced with the choice between changing one’s mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof”
- John Kenneth Galbraith
Tyrone Slothrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 06:35 PM   #157
Icky Thump
Registered User
 
Icky Thump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,646
Re: We are all Slave now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
http://www.thepovertyline.net/united-states-of-america

http://www.thepovertyline.net/norway

Maybe it's Chicken/egg, but comparing us to Nordic countries is either stupid or contrived. Our poverty level is twice theirs, and we are way more spread out.
Neither one has an uber military that protects the world much less 300 million people.
__________________
You can breathe, you can blink, you can cry. Hell, you're all gonna be doing that!
Icky Thump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 08:59 PM   #158
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000
 
Hank Chinaski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Corner Office
Posts: 84,040
Re: We are all Slave now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icky Thump View Post
Neither one has an uber military that protects the world much less 300 million people.
Exactly, adults like us get that, but not people like Ty or Adder. It's like comparing my daughter's spending when I'm paying her rent to my spending. The worst implication to America from this thread is that a "well-educated" person, like Ty, could post it. Sad.
__________________
alumnus of beating thurgreed in arguments
Hank Chinaski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 11:44 AM   #159
sebastian_dangerfield
Moderator
 
sebastian_dangerfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Monty Capuletti's gazebo
Posts: 23,015
Re: We are all Slave now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Exactly, adults like us get that, but not people like Ty or Adder. It's like comparing my daughter's spending when I'm paying her rent to my spending. The worst implication to America from this thread is that a "well-educated" person, like Ty, could post it. Sad.
Well educated today is increasingly similar to well ridden.
__________________
All is for the best in the best of all possible worlds.
sebastian_dangerfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 11:46 AM   #160
Adder
I am beyond a rank!
 
Adder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 16,039
Re: We are all Slave now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icky Thump View Post
Neither one has an uber military that protects the world much less 300 million people.
"Protects."

Our post-Cold War redistribution of wealth toward shareholders of defense contractors is arguably our biggest policy mistake, playing a large role in facilitating the comparably smaller blunder of endless war.
Adder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 11:56 AM   #161
sebastian_dangerfield
Moderator
 
sebastian_dangerfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Monty Capuletti's gazebo
Posts: 23,015
Re: We are all Slave now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
(1) Sebby says democracies collapse. The Nordics haven't. So either he is just plain wrong, or a Nordic-style democracy is not sufficiently democratic to induce collapse, in which case it's an academic point not worth discussing.

(2) Maybe our poverty level is higher because our system of government doesn't sufficiently represent the needs of the poorer and do more to elevate their condition.
1. The Nordics are the Saudis of the North. Petro-states with small populations can run a long time before the resources are exhausted.

But to your point, all pure democracies will eventually collapse. People see someone with more of something and seek parity by whatever means they can. If this is a the ballot box, they'll attempt to vote themselves even with the closest Joneses. The Joneses will then pull away a bit, desiring to enhance their relative status, and the cycle will ratchet up in terms of cost. Eventually, it breaks the bank.

In the US, in a culture as crass and class ambitious as ours, the process is very much accelerated in comparison to the more mature Nordic societies.

2. That's part of it. No doubt. But nowhere near all of it.
__________________
All is for the best in the best of all possible worlds.
sebastian_dangerfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 11:57 AM   #162
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy
Registered User
 
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Government Yard in Trenchtown
Posts: 18,848
Re: Religion on the P-Board

Have I mentioned lately how much I love the Pope?

Nothing like a throw-down against Pelagianism to start the week.
__________________
A wee dram a day!
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 12:00 PM   #163
sebastian_dangerfield
Moderator
 
sebastian_dangerfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Monty Capuletti's gazebo
Posts: 23,015
Re: We are all Slave now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
"Protects."

Our post-Cold War redistribution of wealth toward shareholders of defense contractors is arguably our biggest policy mistake, playing a large role in facilitating the comparably smaller blunder of endless war.
Yup. This is where we cue Eisenhower's farewell "Military/Industrial Complex" address.

It's worth watching every two or three years, just to recall, "Oh yeah... shit never really changes."
__________________
All is for the best in the best of all possible worlds.
sebastian_dangerfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 12:52 PM   #164
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex
 
Tyrone Slothrop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 30,250
Re: We are all Slave now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
1. The Nordics are the Saudis of the North. Petro-states with small populations can run a long time before the resources are exhausted.

But to your point, all pure democracies will eventually collapse. People see someone with more of something and seek parity by whatever means they can. If this is a the ballot box, they'll attempt to vote themselves even with the closest Joneses. The Joneses will then pull away a bit, desiring to enhance their relative status, and the cycle will ratchet up in terms of cost. Eventually, it breaks the bank.

In the US, in a culture as crass and class ambitious as ours, the process is very much accelerated in comparison to the more mature Nordic societies.

2. That's part of it. No doubt. But nowhere near all of it.
Name a "pure democracy" that has ever "collapsed." I pointed to the Nordics because they should be closer to "collapse" than us, having voted themselves more benefits. To your way of thinking, they are "mature" and we are "crass and class ambitious" (? to all of the above) so somehow your theory is that mature pure democracies are slower to collapse than crass ones except that still if they are pure then the collapse is coming inevitably just like the Incas and the Hapsburgs, except those weren't pure democracies so uh, hey, look over there!
__________________
“Faced with the choice between changing one’s mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof”
- John Kenneth Galbraith
Tyrone Slothrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 04:08 PM   #165
Did you just call me Coltrane?
Registered User
 
Did you just call me Coltrane?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Throwing a kettle over a pub
Posts: 14,408
Re: We are all Slave now.

Does the GOP want Trump to fire Mueller?
__________________
No no no, that's not gonna help. That's not gonna help and I'll tell you why: It doesn't unbang your Mom.
Did you just call me Coltrane? is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.0.1

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:03 PM.