LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 25
0 members and 25 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2018, 08:09 PM   #901
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000
 
Hank Chinaski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Corner Office
Posts: 83,801
Re: We are all Slave now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
Thanks for reading it. Baby steps.
Well sure. No one expects you to come fully around to seeing reality, frankly, on any topic. But we just are glad you shared this apology/ mea culpa. I've been hoping for as much, kine hara!
__________________
like Paigow
Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 01:21 PM   #902
Did you just call me Coltrane?
Registered User
 
Did you just call me Coltrane?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Throwing a kettle over a pub
Posts: 14,395
Whew

I was part of a trial team that lost a jury trial - $200+M verdict for the plaintiffs.

We should have never tried the case - should have won on SJ. Thankfully, the appellate court agreed and the state supreme court declined it.

Lawyers talking law!
__________________
No no no, that's not gonna help. That's not gonna help and I'll tell you why: It doesn't unbang your Mom.
Did you just call me Coltrane? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 02:21 PM   #903
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex
 
Tyrone Slothrop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 29,774
Re: Whew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Did you just call me Coltrane? View Post
I was part of a trial team that lost a jury trial - $200+M verdict for the plaintiffs.

We should have never tried the case - should have won on SJ. Thankfully, the appellate court agreed and the state supreme court declined it.

Lawyers talking law!
I did that to the tune of $800 m once, except it was a bench trial before a particularly dim judge. Trying cases is fun, but it was very frustrating to invest so much time on something to be decided by the dullest knife in the drawer.
__________________
“Faced with the choice between changing one’s mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof”
- John Kenneth Galbraith

Last edited by Tyrone Slothrop; 05-21-2018 at 02:33 PM..
Tyrone Slothrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 03:24 PM   #904
Did you just call me Coltrane?
Registered User
 
Did you just call me Coltrane?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Throwing a kettle over a pub
Posts: 14,395
Re: Whew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
I did that to the tune of $800 m once, except it was a bench trial before a particularly dim judge. Trying cases is fun, but it was very frustrating to invest so much time on something to be decided by the dullest knife in the drawer.
One-upper!

The one benefit from that trial was a whole lot of Marriott points.
__________________
No no no, that's not gonna help. That's not gonna help and I'll tell you why: It doesn't unbang your Mom.
Did you just call me Coltrane? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 03:58 PM   #905
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy
Registered User
 
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Government Yard in Trenchtown
Posts: 18,489
Re: Whew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Did you just call me Coltrane? View Post
I was part of a trial team that lost a jury trial - $200+M verdict for the plaintiffs.

We should have never tried the case - should have won on SJ. Thankfully, the appellate court agreed and the state supreme court declined it.

Lawyers talking law!
Congratulations!!

Of course, had you won on SJ the firm would not have had as good a year, right?
__________________
A wee dram a day!
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 04:50 PM   #906
sebastian_dangerfield
Moderator
 
sebastian_dangerfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Monty Capuletti's gazebo
Posts: 22,423
Re: What ever happened to Tucker Max?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_Wendell_Ramone View Post
You'll never score with Mrs. Coltrane with an attitude like that.
“How you doin’? You know... I win all of my trials.

Buy you a nice meaty merlot?”
__________________
All is for the best in the best of all possible worlds.
sebastian_dangerfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 05:12 PM   #907
Did you just call me Coltrane?
Registered User
 
Did you just call me Coltrane?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Throwing a kettle over a pub
Posts: 14,395
Re: Whew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
Congratulations!!

Of course, had you won on SJ the firm would not have had as good a year, right?
No doubt. Someone had a great year.
__________________
No no no, that's not gonna help. That's not gonna help and I'll tell you why: It doesn't unbang your Mom.
Did you just call me Coltrane? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 05:17 PM   #908
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000
 
Hank Chinaski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Corner Office
Posts: 83,801
Re: Whew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
Congratulations!!

Of course, had you won on SJ the firm would not have had as good a year, right?
going out on a limb, the appeal went elsewhere?
__________________
like Paigow
Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 05:18 PM   #909
Did you just call me Coltrane?
Registered User
 
Did you just call me Coltrane?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Throwing a kettle over a pub
Posts: 14,395
Re: Whew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
going out on a limb, the appeal went elsewhere?
No. I did.






Wait a second. With me: lose trial. Without me: win appeal. Damnitall!!
__________________
No no no, that's not gonna help. That's not gonna help and I'll tell you why: It doesn't unbang your Mom.
Did you just call me Coltrane? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 11:12 AM   #910
sebastian_dangerfield
Moderator
 
sebastian_dangerfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Monty Capuletti's gazebo
Posts: 22,423
Re: Whew

Mark Penn, Clintonista, on Mueller: http://thehill.com/opinion/judiciary...protect-us-all
__________________
All is for the best in the best of all possible worlds.
sebastian_dangerfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 11:30 AM   #911
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex
 
Tyrone Slothrop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 29,774
Re: Whew

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
Mark Penn, Clintonista, on Mueller: http://thehill.com/opinion/judiciary...protect-us-all
He's like Dick Morris all over again. Why does anyone find anything he says interesting?
__________________
“Faced with the choice between changing one’s mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof”
- John Kenneth Galbraith
Tyrone Slothrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 01:41 PM   #912
ferrets_bueller
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Washington
Posts: 211
Re: We are all Slave now.

Several threads ago there was a discussion between urbanites and suburbanites about the respective merits of the dwelling locales. As a defender of the suburban, I would note that the finest argument for the urban dwellers is: Last Sunday's New York Times Arts and Leisure section.


There were endless lists of what to do in the city this summer. Music festivals, theater, other performing arts. Sure, there were ads for Jones Beach Theater, etc., but from Coney Island to the Bronx, the city looks like the place to be if you don't have a close personal friend on Dune Road in the Hamptons.
ferrets_bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 01:55 PM   #913
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex
 
Tyrone Slothrop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 29,774
Re: We are all Slave now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrets_bueller View Post
Several threads ago there was a discussion between urbanites and suburbanites about the respective merits of the dwelling locales. As a defender of the suburban, I would note that the finest argument for the urban dwellers is: Last Sunday's New York Times Arts and Leisure section.


There were endless lists of what to do in the city this summer. Music festivals, theater, other performing arts. Sure, there were ads for Jones Beach Theater, etc., but from Coney Island to the Bronx, the city looks like the place to be if you don't have a close personal friend on Dune Road in the Hamptons.
I went to Santa Cruz on Saturday and San Francisco on Sunday, and I don't live in either one!
__________________
“Faced with the choice between changing one’s mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof”
- John Kenneth Galbraith
Tyrone Slothrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 02:33 PM   #914
ferrets_bueller
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Washington
Posts: 211
Re: We are all Slave now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
I went to Santa Cruz on Saturday and San Francisco on Sunday, and I don't live in either one!
Is The Catalyst still a great music venue in Santa Cruz?
ferrets_bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 03:24 PM   #915
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex
 
Tyrone Slothrop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 29,774
Re: We are all Slave now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrets_bueller View Post
Is The Catalyst still a great music venue in Santa Cruz?
Haven't been there in a few years, but I think so. I was there for a wretched youth soccer game, and then we bought our weight in succulents and carnivorous plants.
__________________
“Faced with the choice between changing one’s mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof”
- John Kenneth Galbraith
Tyrone Slothrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.0.1

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:58 PM.