LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > Regional Forums > Pacific Northwest

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 134
0 members and 134 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Old 11-10-2005, 02:38 PM   #106
Oliver_Wendell_Ramone

Dinner Recs

Quote:
Originally posted by NotFromHere
Yes. Except for shiitake. I hate shiitake. How do you not like the morels and chanterelles? Ehn, what am I talking about - I didn't really like mushrooms so much until about 5-6 years ago. Of course, my exposure was pretty much limited to those heinous canned things and button mushrooms.

Anywhere else you would suggest instead? Italian is always good.
In wine country or in Portland?
Old 11-10-2005, 02:42 PM   #107
NotFromHere
No title

Dinner Recs

Quote:
Originally posted by Oliver_Wendell_Ramone
In wine country or in Portland?
Probably Portland - that's where we're staying, unless there's a compelling place in whine country you'd recommend.
Old 11-10-2005, 03:13 PM   #108
Oliver_Wendell_Ramone

Dinner Recs

Quote:
Originally posted by NotFromHere
Probably Portland - that's where we're staying, unless there's a compelling place in whine country you'd recommend.
Hipster places I haven't visited:

clarklewis (http://www.ripepdx.com/page2/page2.html

Andina (Peruvian joint in the Pearl District

Places I like:

Higgins (northwest cuisine, whatever that means); located downtown.

Paley's Place (in northwest portland; "northwest" with a slight French twist)

Castagna (good and fairly upscale; I actually prefer the attached lower-key bistro, Cafe Castagna; great steak frites)

Capriel's (haven't been there in ages, but have had great food there)

For Italian, there are a bunch of good-to-very good places along 21st in Northwest Portland.

I like Taqueria Nueve on NE 28th for upscale latin; NE 28th is kinda a hip restuarant scene these days. Couple of good "small plates" places thereabouts as well.
Old 11-11-2005, 06:09 PM   #109
Penske_Account
WacKtose Intolerant

Dinner Recs

Quote:
Y'all are always welcome. We're even sans kids on the post-Thanksgiving Friday.
Gracias. Voldemort turned me down. Apparently she is getting back together with Slave.

Next time I am in Portland though....

wine update, last night, 1999 Delille Chaleur Estate. Smashing. Next time y'all are in Seattle.....

Penske_Account is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 11:30 PM   #110
tmdiva
Quality not quantity

Dinner Recs

Quote:
Hipster places I haven't visited:

clarklewis (http://www.ripepdx.com/page2/page2.html

Andina (Peruvian joint in the Pearl District

Places I like:

Higgins (northwest cuisine, whatever that means); located downtown.

Paley's Place (in northwest portland; "northwest" with a slight French twist)

Castagna (good and fairly upscale; I actually prefer the attached lower-key bistro, Cafe Castagna; great steak frites)

Capriel's (haven't been there in ages, but have had great food there)

For Italian, there are a bunch of good-to-very good places along 21st in Northwest Portland.

I like Taqueria Nueve on NE 28th for upscale latin; NE 28th is kinda a hip restuarant scene these days. Couple of good "small plates" places thereabouts as well.
We also haven't been to clarklewis or Andina yet. Sheesh--back when we were childless and lived in the Pearl, we tried out every new restaurant.

Higgins is my absolute favorite--we lived a couple blocks from it when we were first married and went there for most special occasions and when friends and family were visiting. But then, "Northwest" is my favorite cuisine.

Paley's we've only been to once or twice, but it was very very good. Wildwood is another classic in the neighborhood, but I would choose Higgins over it most days.

The places on NW 21st are Caffe Mingo, Serratto and one other. I'm pretty sure they're all related, with varying price points and degrees of formality. I haven't been there, but apparently Genoa (downtown) is where you have to go if you want some serious Italian. It's something like 9 courses in a tasting menu, and tres cher.

Another Italian-ish place we've liked in the past (haven't been there since we used to live around the corner) is Fratelli, in the Pearl.

We recently tried Aja in NE (21st and Fremont? Something like that--it's Pan-Asian eclectic), and thought it gave really good bang for the buck. Some unusual combinations, well executed, including succulent duck spring rolls.

Other places we've tried in the last several months: Carlyle (quite good but not a good value, ie. quite expensive), Gotham Building Tavern (same people as clarklewis; some good ideas but still a bit spotty in the execution--my halibut was cooked to buttery perfection, but the sides left something to be desired).

I'm sure there are others, and lots more that are more just neighborhood joints and not destinations in and of themselves. We've had pretty good luck with the restaurant ratings and reviews on portland.citysearch.com.

tm
tmdiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 04:14 PM   #111
Oliver_Wendell_Ramone

More Wine

Oregonian's wine section for Thanksgiving weekend.

Looks like Beau Frer (sp?) will, in fact, be closed this year. Too bad.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:43 PM   #112
NotFromHere
No title

More Wine

Quote:
Oregonian's wine section for Thanksgiving weekend.

Looks like Beaux Frere will, in fact, be closed this year. Too bad.
Aw crap. That's one of the places I wanted to go to on Saturday. Oh well, have to pick another place I guess. You have been very helpful. Are you going to be there that weekend?

Oh and Penske, wherever you are, from "our" favorite restaurant...

December 6th Bring Your Own Wine to the Feast of Saint Nicholas

We’re celebrating old Saint Nick’s night with our third ever “corkage-free, bring-your-best-bottle-and-let-Canlis-do-the-dishes” wine party. Join other collectors in our private Penthouse dining room, as Mark and Anne Marie Canlis, Master Sommelier Shayn Bjornholm and his wine team host an evening designed to bring great wines, friends and family around the table once again.

Here’s the idea: bring that special occasion bottle you’ve been waiting to open (the one with the dust on it), and let us do the food pairing, glass polishing, and dish scrubbing. The sharing, swapping, and kibitzing are likely to kick off with a treat from the Canlis family cellar or private whiskey collection. Come raise a glass to Old Saint Nick, great friends and wines of the world.

Limit 1 bottle/person – Challenge: bring wines not on our list

December 11th We’re Donating Our Birthday to Seattle - and We Want You to Come!

On this historic Sunday, Canlis will open its doors to the first 100 guests who would like to celebrate our 55th birthday in an extraordinary holiday celebration. The entire restaurant is reserved and every room decorated with the best food and wine in our history. Mingle and dine throughout the restaurant with entertainment, laughter and the knowledge that the entire evening is being hosted and paid for by Chris and Alice Canlis. Your price of admission is to make a $1,000 tax-deductible donation to FareStart to fight hunger and homelessness within our city. Our Christmas wish will come true – transforming Seattle’s poorest people into some of Seattle’s most productive people. Join us generously to make this an unforgettable holiday party. Come be a part of history.

Last edited by NotFromHere; 11-16-2005 at 06:36 PM..
NotFromHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 05:07 PM   #113
NotFromHere
No title

First to jump ship

OLYMPIA — Two-term Republican Rep. Rodney Tom of Bellevue said today he is quitting the Republican Party to run for the state Senate as a Democrat.

"I realized the far right has complete control of the party and for me to be effective for my constituents I need to be a Democrat," Tom said.

He said being a Democrat is not only a better fit for the changing political demographic of the 48th Legislative District, but a more comfortable fit for his ideology, which includes support for legal abortion, gay rights and higher taxes for transportation.

The 48th Legislative District covers some of the state's most upscale suburbs, including Bellevue, Redmond and Medina. It was once solidly Republican but in recent years voters have shifted. Tom's seatmate in the House is Democrat Ross Hunter. Voters in the district voted for Democrat John Kerry for president in 2004.

I was surprised to learn the Bellevue was the hotbed of Republican activity. Although most of the Republicans I know live on the east side. But I thought the real real Republicans lived much farther east. Turns out it was Medina all along.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:44 PM   #114
NotFromHere
No title

12th man rulez - FU A&M

The Seahawks and Texas A&M have settled their dispute over the use of the school's 12th Man trademark, both parties announced Monday.

The agreement resolves all of the issues presented in the school's pending lawsuit, which has been dismissed, according to a joint statement from the Seahawks and the university.

In return for acknowledgement of A&M's ownership rights to the 12th Man slogan, the Seahawks can use the phrase in promotions and fan activities in the Northwest. The team can continue its traditional raising of the 12th Man flag before games, and fans can still buy Seahawks jerseys and small flags with the No. 12 on them.

No money was involved in the settlement.

The Seahawks can essentially use the 12th Man anywhere, but the settlement restricts usage in radio and TV broadcasts without the use of a disclaimer that mentions that the slogan is a copyright of Texas A&M.

Seahawks fans won't notice any difference in usage of the phrase, according to sources close to the situation.

Lane Stephens, a spokesman from Texas A&M's office of university relations, said the school and the team agreed not to comment other than what was said in their joint statement.

The team and the university were set to go to court for a preliminary injunction hearing May 18 in Houston, but both sides preferred a settlement.

The university began using the 12th Man slogan in 1922 and trademarked it in 1990. The Seahawks retired No. 12 in 1984 and have played up the 12th Man theme in recent years to rally their fans to support the team.

Texas A&M asked the district court for a temporary restraining order before the Super Bowl to keep the Seahawks from using the words. The Seahawks then filed a change-of-venue motion to try to move any court dates from Texas to Seattle.

Yay.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:08 PM   #115
Penske_Account
WacKtose Intolerant

Exclamation Hi

nothing much to say- it just seems so sad and lonely here I thought i would leave a note to say "hi!"

Old 02-04-2009, 05:17 AM   #116
davidbob

What should I look for in a nursing program?

I looked into LPN training in my area and the cost is something like $5000 total and you can get finacial assistance.

It sounds like you might have a good school there. The LPN program should take less than two years to complete and would well be worth the money you invest in it.
davidbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 05:19 AM   #117
davidbob

tell me about some nursing education?

Nursing candidates California Nursing Home Neglect must prepare by a rigorous course of training that includes a thorough grounding in anatomy, physiology, pharmacology, the cause and treatment of disease, the intricacies of nutrition and diet, surgical skills, and a variety of techniques pertaining to patient care. Many nurses also prepare for more specialized work, such as the care of newborn infants, maternity patients, or the mentally ill, or for duties in the operating room
Old 02-04-2009, 08:02 AM   #118
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Re: What should I look for in a nursing program?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbob View Post
I looked into LPN training in my area and the cost is something like $5000 total and you can get finacial assistance.

It sounds like you might have a good school there. The LPN program should take less than two years to complete and would well be worth the money you invest in it.
I would check to see how much clinical practice is involved in taking temperatures rectally. That can vary between schools, and really makes a big difference to most students.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:49 AM   #119
Penske_Account
WacKtose Intolerant

Re: tell me about some nursing education?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbob View Post
Nursing candidates California Nursing Home Neglect must prepare by a rigorous course of training that includes a thorough grounding in anatomy, physiology, pharmacology, the cause and treatment of disease, the intricacies of nutrition and diet, surgical skills, and a variety of techniques pertaining to patient care. Many nurses also prepare for more specialized work, such as the care of newborn infants, maternity patients, or the mentally ill, or for duties in the operating room
Wrong Board. California is not in the Pacific NW. Thank god.

Old 05-23-2010, 02:50 PM   #120
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Re: tell me about some nursing education?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penske_Account View Post
Wrong Board. California is not in the Pacific NW. Thank god.
ann arbor michigan announced today that it's female population crossed the point where 50% shave no body hair- i believe that means it is now qualified for honorary NW state status. I will keep the board posted.