LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > Miscellaneous > Mom & Dad, Esq.

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 92
0 members and 92 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Old 04-26-2007, 11:39 AM   #3721
robustpuppy

Gift Suggestions?

Quote:
Originally posted by Sparklehorse
I'm looking for a gift for a 1 year old nephew. He has an older brother and a reliable stream of hand-me-downs. Plus he's just getting to be big enough to show particular interests. His mother requested some unspecified Leap Frog item but looking around online, most of the stuff in the 12-24 month age-range gets mixed reviews. The Baby Tad looks like the most appealing Leap Frog toy I've found thus far.

Does anyone have any suggestions, Leap Frog brand or otherwise? The boy in question has pretty intense concentration, has been walking for a month+ already, and is pretty mellow and happy except when he's hungry.

Many thanks in advance.
Someone gave my daughter a Leap Frog Fridge Farm for her 1st birthday (she's now 18 mos. old) and she has absofreakinglutely loved it since the day she got it.

Otherwise, push/pull toys are always a big hit. She loves the toy stroller, lawn mower, wheelbarrow, and corn popper. Also, she has a great time in the homemade playhouse my husband built out of end table boxes (especially the shutters and doors she can open and close).

At this age he will be developing and refining fine motor skills such as the pincer grasp and turning the wrist, so any toy that has things they can twist and turn and move about is also likely to hold their interest for a while (as is an empty detergent bottle). Imitation is also a big thing -- so toy telephones, pots and pans and utensils, anything he sees his parents using. this is also a good time for crayons or washable markers and those paint with water coloring books.

Sorry to be so general, but other than the particular leap frog toy we have, her toys are more general than specific, if that makes sense.
robustpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 11:43 AM   #3722
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)

Gift Suggestions?

Quote:
Originally posted by robustpuppy
this is also a good time for crayons or washable markers and those paint with water coloring books.
I suggest several buckets of fresh paint for the parents, in conjunction with this gift.
Old 04-26-2007, 11:54 AM   #3723
robustpuppy

Gift Suggestions?

Quote:
Originally posted by Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)
I suggest several buckets of fresh paint for the parents, in conjunction with this gift.
Mr. Clean Magic Eraser.
robustpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 06:10 PM   #3724
mommylawyer

Larger Car?

Quote:
Originally posted by tmdiva
So, those of you who've moved from the 5-passenger vehicle to the 7 or 8, what do you drive, why did you pick it, and how do you like it?

From what I've read so far, and from anecdotal evidence from friends' experiences, basically I'm getting that we'd be crazy if we got anything other than a Honda Odyssey.

tm
I am the anti mini-van mom, so I have a MB wagon with a third row.... I'd like to trade it in for the r class which I think is a little roomier, but alas my wagon is paid off and I really don't want a car payment.....

My DH is trading his range rover (yay! I hate that gas guzzler) for another guzzler - a cadillac escalade - the super long one because it seats 7.... sigh...at least it eats regular gas and not premium.....

once you get to that number of seats, I think its mini-van, wagon or SUV only....
mommylawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 06:15 PM   #3725
mommylawyer

Gift Suggestions?

Quote:
Originally posted by robustpuppy
Someone gave my daughter a Leap Frog Fridge Farm for her 1st birthday (she's now 18 mos. old) and she has absofreakinglutely loved it since the day she got it.

Otherwise, push/pull toys are always a big hit. She loves the toy stroller, lawn mower, wheelbarrow, and corn popper. Also, she has a great time in the homemade playhouse my husband built out of end table boxes (especially the shutters and doors she can open and close).

At this age he will be developing and refining fine motor skills such as the pincer grasp and turning the wrist, so any toy that has things they can twist and turn and move about is also likely to hold their interest for a while (as is an empty detergent bottle). Imitation is also a big thing -- so toy telephones, pots and pans and utensils, anything he sees his parents using. this is also a good time for crayons or washable markers and those paint with water coloring books.

Sorry to be so general, but other than the particular leap frog toy we have, her toys are more general than specific, if that makes sense.
I second the fridge farm by Leap. Anoth possibility is the Word Wammer. My kids first just liked to manipulate the letters and hear them out loud but as my son got older and was beginning to learn to read (he is 5 and is already reading - he starts kindygarten next year because of a late birthday) he pulled out his old wammer and used it a lot more frequently as he goes to a montessori school and is learning to read phonetically....
Old 04-30-2007, 01:15 PM   #3726
tmdiva
Quality not quantity

Larger Car?

Quote:
Originally posted by mommylawyer
I am the anti mini-van mom, so I have a MB wagon with a third row.... I'd like to trade it in for the r class which I think is a little roomier, but alas my wagon is paid off and I really don't want a car payment.....

My DH is trading his range rover (yay! I hate that gas guzzler) for another guzzler - a cadillac escalade - the super long one because it seats 7.... sigh...at least it eats regular gas and not premium.....

once you get to that number of seats, I think its mini-van, wagon or SUV only....
Do you have a regular MB wagon with the rear-facing third row and the hatchback, or one of the new ones with the three rows of two forward-facing seats? I'm intrigued that that one, partly because it is available in a diesel, and I like the idea of running biodiesel (yes, I care that much). It's not much more $$ than the top-of-the-line Odyssey. My husband is not into the wagon idea, and I have to admit it looks from the pictures I've seen like the third row is much less easily accessible than in a minivan.

tm
tmdiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 09:43 AM   #3727
mommylawyer

Larger Car?

Quote:
Do you have a regular MB wagon with the rear-facing third row and the hatchback, or one of the new ones with the three rows of two forward-facing seats? I'm intrigued that that one, partly because it is available in a diesel, and I like the idea of running biodiesel (yes, I care that much). It's not much more $$ than the top-of-the-line Odyssey. My husband is not into the wagon idea, and I have to admit it looks from the pictures I've seen like the third row is much less easily accessible than in a minivan.

tm
I have the regular one (an eclass wagon) but am SERIOUSLY considering trading up for the R class (that is the new wagon that is available in diesel). When I bought my wagon in 05, the R class had just come out and finding a used one was pretty hard. Also, my wagon is an 04, which was the last year all scheduled service was included in the warranty for MB. I think accessiblity will always be better in the mini-van...I just don't like them, and I don't like to drive them. I have rented several different ones for road trips and the like, and not once have I felt like - okay, I could drive this every day. But thats just me. I think I may go test drive the R class and if I like it, price a used one (like a year old etc... - let some one else drive it off the lot and take the depreciation hit). My other hang up is that my wagon is paid for and I really don't want a car payment....
Old 05-01-2007, 12:15 PM   #3728
Oliver_Wendell_Ramone

Ouch.

So, this past weekend I'm on a guy's trip at the beach with a bunch of highschool friends, drinking heavily, playing cards, etc. So around 9:00, while shivering around a classic Oregon beach bonfire, my phone rings. Mrs. Ramone on the line, and starts out with "now, don't even think about driving home right now." Good advice, to be sure, but nothing good could be following this. Seems 2 1/2 year old Sandra Day Ramone had broken her tibia. Lovely. So I switch to water, get up early, and cut the trip short (which got me out of cleaning the house, so not all bad).

After a fair amount of time at the doc's yesterday, she's looking splendid in a foot-to-thigh purple cast. Loads of fun, I can assure you. It's sort of like having a much larger and more demanding infant. Poor kid. And poor mom.

Oh, and we fly to Disneyland in a few days. Good. Times.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:59 PM   #3729
taxwonk
Wild Rumpus Facilitator

Ouch.

Quote:
Originally posted by Oliver_Wendell_Ramone
So, this past weekend I'm on a guy's trip at the beach with a bunch of highschool friends, drinking heavily, playing cards, etc. So around 9:00, while shivering around a classic Oregon beach bonfire, my phone rings. Mrs. Ramone on the line, and starts out with "now, don't even think about driving home right now." Good advice, to be sure, but nothing good could be following this. Seems 2 1/2 year old Sandra Day Ramone had broken her tibia. Lovely. So I switch to water, get up early, and cut the trip short (which got me out of cleaning the house, so not all bad).

After a fair amount of time at the doc's yesterday, she's looking splendid in a foot-to-thigh purple cast. Loads of fun, I can assure you. It's sort of like having a much larger and more demanding infant. Poor kid. And poor mom.

Oh, and we fly to Disneyland in a few days. Good. Times.
Ollie, you just hit the bonus round. Sandra Day's cast is good for one free wheelchair and a bump to the front of every line on any ride.

Of course, that only works on the rides a 2 1/2 year old would go on, but still.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:17 PM   #3730
Oliver_Wendell_Ramone

Ouch.

Quote:
Originally posted by taxwonk
Ollie, you just hit the bonus round. Sandra Day's cast is good for one free wheelchair and a bump to the front of every line on any ride.

Of course, that only works on the rides a 2 1/2 year old would go on, but still.
We're hoping it nets us a bit more attention from the Princesses and such. Could make the toddler very popular with her sister and cousin.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:18 PM   #3731
tmdiva
Quality not quantity

Ouch.

Quote:
Originally posted by Oliver_Wendell_Ramone
We're hoping it nets us a bit more attention from the Princesses and such. Could make the toddler very popular with her sister and cousin.
Here's hoping. Good thing is, she would be in a stroller in any event, so it won't change that much about the park experience. You know to get a stroller for Ruth Bader, too, right? They hold up to 70 lbs, and are the only way to get through an entire day with no whining. I highly recommend.

tm
Old 05-01-2007, 07:06 PM   #3732
bold_n_brazen
It's all about me.

Location: Enough about me. Let's talk about you. What do you think of me?
Ouch.

Quote:
Here's hoping. Good thing is, she would be in a stroller in any event, so it won't change that much about the park experience. You know to get a stroller for Ruth Bader, too, right? They hold up to 70 lbs, and are the only way to get through an entire day with no whining. I highly recommend.

tm
Do they have these thingies at DisneyLand?

The Brazenette and her cousin LOOOOVE those!
Old 05-01-2007, 07:58 PM   #3733
tmdiva
Quality not quantity

Ouch.

Quote:
Originally posted by bold_n_brazen
Do they have these thingies at DisneyLand?

The Brazenette and her cousin LOOOOVE those!
The ones we used at California Adventure two years ago were just like oversized strollers, with a cordura nylon seat and a flip-forward sunshade. It was great for Magnus, though I really would have liked one for six-months-pregnant me.

tm
Old 05-11-2007, 12:07 AM   #3734
Secret_Agent_Man
Classified

Larger Car?

Quote:
So, those of you who've moved from the 5-passenger vehicle to the 7 or 8, what do you drive, why did you pick it, and how do you like it?

From what I've read so far, and from anecdotal evidence from friends' experiences, basically I'm getting that we'd be crazy if we got anything other than a Honda Odyssey.

tm
The Odyssey is sweet indeed. But I wasn't ready to admit that to myself in 2003 -- so we bought a Honda Pilot.

We like it a lot. Great sight lines -- mid-size SUV (same size and internal cargo capacity as Ford Explorer) with fold-down third row, etc. 240 HP V-6. Decent gas mileage _for its class_.
Handles more like a car than a truck. (Good or bad depending on your preference.)

It was the first model year for it -- but we were sure a Honda would be reliable. It has been. Never a problem with it except for my wife running into and over things. To this day nothing more than standard maintenance. At the time, Honda was trying to rip the guts out of Ford and get the Pilot established, so it sold for about $30K -- about $8K less than the MSRP on a comparable size Explorer.

Honda doesn't have all of the fancy luxury touches as some, but we've been very happy with it. And I fooled myself into thinking that a mid-size SUV with car seats is somehow cooler than a minivan.

S_A_M

Voted Second Most Helpful Poster on the Politics Board.
Secret_Agent_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 12:13 AM   #3735
Secret_Agent_Man
Classified

Larger Car?

Quote:
Um, I guess I should mention that I care about gas mileage?

Friends have a Pilot, and I've driven it. It is an SUV, and while not as much of a truck/beast as my brother's Suburban, it's not particularly well-mannered.

And the third row is not as accessible in most SUVs as it is in most minivans. And I'll be needing that third row more than just occasionally.

tm
Sounds like you don't want an SUV, then -- because there aren't any with good gas mileage.

You are certainly right about the third row accessibility. We use ours rarely, so its not an issue.

Check the cross-over vehicles that won't admit they're just station wagons. Some of them probably have better mileage. The Subaru Forester, etc still gets good reviews. (They do seem to have mandatory Rainbow bumper stickers around here, NTTAWWT.)

S_A_M

Voted Second Most Helpful Poster on the Politics Board.
Secret_Agent_Man is offline   Reply With Quote