LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 152
1 members and 151 guests
Hank Chinaski
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 03:11 PM   #2191
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Re: Quiet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
I know all you Trump haters talk about how science is real, but you guys seem to be ignoring the lessons of science. If the dinosaurs had accepted the reality of the asteroid hit they might have evolved to still being around today. You need to accept Trump as the prez. I can't adjust too much, I mean my grandparents immigrated here, likely without papers, but from Italy, so he probably won't get around to kicking me out until like, 4th term, right, I mean we're swarthy but not as bad as some? But you, your people must go back a ways, and to whiter countries, right? If you just delete all the race music stuff, your kids might be fine.
Dissent. You're pretty swarthy.

I wouldn't leave home without your papers if I were you.
Old 10-02-2017, 10:21 AM   #2192
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
Quick note: this is still gibberish.
Only if you're an ostrich.
Old 10-02-2017, 10:21 AM   #2193
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
You mean like voting for Hillary?
Was Hillary running in the Seventies?
Old 10-02-2017, 10:23 AM   #2194
Replaced_Texan
Random Syndicate (admin)

Re: Mother, mother, mother - there's too many of you crying.

Jesus fucking Christ.

If nothing happened after Sandy Hook, nothing will happen after this. What a sick country we live in.
"In the olden days before the internet, you'd take this sort of person for a ride out into the woods and shoot them, as Darwin intended, before he could spawn."--Will the Vampire People Leave the Lobby? pg 79
Old 10-02-2017, 10:29 AM   #2195
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
No it's all the bigots and greedy bastards in the Republican party (and the fucking misogynistic asshats like you who enable them). Trump didn't just appear out of thin air.

As to your stock picks, please, mortgage your house and put it on all that outcome. Good luck to you.
Misogynistic? Where are you getting that?* Let me guess: It's not a valid criticism unless you can gratuitously throw in some allegation of sexism, racism, or xenophobia?

Re the market, if you're so sure it's not going to 30k, and that it's at risk of falling precipitously, rather than argue with me, why don't you argue with Adder? I'm confident it'll get to 30k. But I also think when it does fall, it'll be awful. The guy who thinks everything is dandy and the market effectively reflects the underlying real economy is Adder.

And let's face it -- you two are ideally matched to argue with one another.

ETA: Listen to this Sam Harris podcast: https://www.samharris.org/podcast/it...-of-liberalism It'll expand your Nerf intellect on why identity politics and issue simplification of the sort you fancy are dooming classical American liberalism.

Last edited by sebastian_dangerfield; 10-02-2017 at 10:38 AM..
Old 10-02-2017, 10:33 AM   #2196
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretty Little Flower View Post
I knew what you meant. I was just joking around. . Ha ha ha!!!!! Don't worry, nobody here has forgotten that you have all the answers and rest of us are just some combination of hysterical knee-jerk elitists, suckers, and naifs.
This (sadly dead) cat was an elitist. No one here can validly claim to be an elitist. Including me.
Old 10-02-2017, 02:55 PM   #2197
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replaced_Texan View Post
Jesus fucking Christ.

If nothing happened after Sandy Hook, nothing will happen after this. What a sick country we live in.
Agreed. There is no number of people that can be shot to death in this country that would move the needle on gun control in a perceptible way. Period. Just keep your head down.

TM
Old 10-02-2017, 03:14 PM   #2198
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurgreedMarshall View Post
Agreed. There is no number of people that can be shot to death in this country that would move the needle on gun control in a perceptible way. Period. Just keep your head down.

TM
The volume doesn't matter, agreed. But the identity might. The one time we got anything was after Reagan and Brady got shot.
Old 10-02-2017, 03:56 PM   #2199
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
The volume doesn't matter, agreed. But the identity might. The one time we got anything was after Reagan and Brady got shot.
Those days are completely fucking over. Reagan supported gun control. You can't possibly name one person (or any number of people, for that matter) who could be gunned down that would loosen the NRA's grip on our legislature.

TM
Old 10-02-2017, 04:13 PM   #2200
ferrets_bueller

This is the whirlwind wrought by Scalia when he tortured the Second Amendment to effectively eviscerate the first phrase concerning a well regulated militia.

There is no physical defense possible in the face of automatic weapons fire from high ground. There is no moral defense possible to permitting this to continue. But it will.

The Trump Court will make sure this type of massacre will continue to be a constant for the lifetime of everyone in this country.
Old 10-02-2017, 04:18 PM   #2201
Pretty Little Flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurgreedMarshall View Post
Those days are completely fucking over. Reagan supported gun control. You can't possibly name one person (or any number of people, for that matter) who could be gunned down that would loosen the NRA's grip on our legislature.

TM
The John Oliver episode after the Orlando shooting argued pretty compellingly that a substantial portion of the NRA's success is not just due to lobbyists, but also an incredibly motivated, active, and disciplined one-issue constituency that can be mobilized at a moment's notice to flood a politician's office with letters and calls, or attend a counter-protest, or whatever. Shame on me for not realizing until that episode that we have had legislation since 1996 that effectively prevents the CDC from even studying the effects of gun violence. And despite efforts as recently as 2015 to repeal the Dickey Amendment, it remains the law of our bloody gun-obsessed land.

No funk today. Not in the mood.

I am not sorry.
Old 10-03-2017, 09:27 AM   #2202
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
Misogynistic?
You know you've been writing things here and elsewhere that we've all read for almost two decades, right?

Quote:
The guy who thinks everything is dandy and the market effectively reflects the underlying real economy is Adder.
Exactly when have I argued that the stock market, much less the stock market as reflected in the Dow, is any sort of economic indicator? If that's on anyone, it's on you.
Old 10-03-2017, 10:00 AM   #2203
Did you just call me Coltrane?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretty Little Flower View Post
The John Oliver episode after the Orlando shooting argued pretty compellingly that a substantial portion of the NRA's success is not just due to lobbyists, but also an incredibly motivated, active, and disciplined one-issue constituency that can be mobilized at a moment's notice to flood a politician's office with letters and calls, or attend a counter-protest, or whatever. Shame on me for not realizing until that episode that we have had legislation since 1996 that effectively prevents the CDC from even studying the effects of gun violence. And despite efforts as recently as 2015 to repeal the Dickey Amendment, it remains the law of our bloody gun-obsessed land.

No funk today. Not in the mood.
I think I agree with the Freakonomics guys: it's too late for gun control - there are already over 300,000,000 guns in this country. If I had a magic wand and could wish them all away forever (and I would), then gun control thereafter would work.
Old 10-03-2017, 10:12 AM   #2204
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Did you just call me Coltrane? View Post
I think I agree with the Freakonomics guys: it's too late for gun control - there are already over 300,000,000 guns in this country. If I had a magic wand and could wish them all away forever (and I would), then gun control thereafter would work.
No. It's never too late. All that existing stock of guns means is we're going to have a long period before significant new restrictions on guns takes meaningful effect. Nonetheless, those 300,000,000 will age, fall out of use and become obsolete eventually.

We're in a hole. We have to stop digging.
Old 10-03-2017, 10:24 AM   #2205
Did you just call me Coltrane?

Quote:
No. It's never too late. All that existing stock of guns means is we're going to have a long period before significant new restrictions on guns takes meaningful effect. Nonetheless, those 300,000,000 will age, fall out of use and become obsolete eventually.

We're in a hole. We have to stop digging.
I want this to be true, but I'm not sure it is. Guns can be maintained for a long time - they can be kept in working condition for 100 years. In any event, it'll never happen in our lifetime. I'm just going to suggest to my kids that they attend college in a country that doesn't have this dumbfuckery embedded in it, and then maybe they won't ever come back and I can visit them all of the time.