LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > The Fashionable

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 287
0 members and 287 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Old 01-31-2019, 02:50 PM   #2581
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Re: No Faith in the Moral Standards of the Players as a Group

Arctic explorer Peter Freuchen and his wife Dagmar
的t was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Tyrone Slothrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 03:42 PM   #2582
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post

Arctic explorer Peter Freuchen and his wife Dagmar
One of the more surrealistic deals I ever did was mainly done in a dusty, book and memento filled room in one of the upper floors of the Explorer's Club in NYC, a rather unique institution where the outlandish and outlandishly wealthy people who took "expeditions" to exotic locals gathered to tell their stories.

To enter the room we worked in, you had to pass by an eight foot tall, two foot wide cylindrical leather object. It was a stuffed whales penis.
Old 02-01-2019, 10:30 AM   #2583
Not Bob

We work our jobs, collect our pay.

The ubiquity of cheap video may be bad for the future of my practice.
Not Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 05:55 PM   #2584
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)

Re: We work our jobs, collect our pay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Bob View Post
The ubiquity of cheap video may be bad for the future of my practice.

Haha.

https://youtu.be/kgxWPxXczzA
Old 02-26-2019, 02:07 PM   #2585
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Hey, hoping someone here can give me some advice. I've been running a lot in the last few years, but I was having heel pain (back of left heel) last fall and stopped. My tentative diagnosis was achilles tendinitis, but I went to see my doctor and he ordered an x-ray which (also?) revealed a bone spur. The heel pain persisted for a few months after I stopped running, and often had me limping around, but now it has gone away, and I want to start running again. What I'd like to do is find a trainer to work with, someone who can help me with stretching and form to avoid problems. I am not the most flexible person (PB x-post) and would be happy to pay someone to help me improve and avoid injuries. Any idea how to find the right person?
的t was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 02-26-2019, 02:10 PM   #2586
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
Hey, hoping someone here can give me some advice. I've been running a lot in the last few years, but I was having heel pain (back of left heel) last fall and stopped. My tentative diagnosis was achilles tendinitis, but I went to see my doctor and he ordered an x-ray which (also?) revealed a bone spur. The heel pain persisted for a few months after I stopped running, and often had me limping around, but now it has gone away, and I want to start running again. What I'd like to do is find a trainer to work with, someone who can help me with stretching and form to avoid problems. I am not the most flexible person (PB x-post) and would be happy to pay someone to help me improve and avoid injuries. Any idea how to find the right person?
Total dick move that isn't remotely helpful: ride a bike instead.
Adder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 03:46 PM   #2587
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
Total dick move that isn't remotely helpful: ride a bike instead.
I don't like riding a bike in traffic. I want to run. My commute blows, but I often can run on a track in the evenings while my kids are at soccer practice.
Old 02-26-2019, 04:35 PM   #2588
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
Sounds more like plantar fasciitis. I got hit with that a few years back. I though for all the world that I had a bruise, then it got me thinking it was a bone spur. Maybe I even had an X-ray that said I did? The PT guy said sometimes bone spurs hurt and sometimes they don't. I tried heel impact inserts- but they did nothing. Pretty soon my lower back started killing me (all of this only when running but I have to run for mental health if nothing else) I blamed the back on coddling the heel. The heel no longer hurt but the back was fucking my life up.

Then I remembered hearing all back pain is in your mind- Dr Sarno https://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/hea...SABEgJmn_D_BwE His theory is no one had back pain 100 years ago now half the people can barely walk or work. The cause is your sub-conscious causes pain to keep your conscious brain from dealing with something painful. The answer (the book takes 3 hours to read) is to train your brain to stop. I was to run and when the pain came think about the thing in my life I was trying to avoid dealing with (one of my kids is pretty fucked up- for you- it could be how much you hate your commute and that you do X instead- I dunno- you have to figure your shit out). so anyway, it took me 6 weeks of running through pain, but eventually your teach your brain to stop that shit. Since his initial theory he (and subsequent doctors) has found that pretty much all pain is from this sort thing. Certainly heel pain can be. You all do not know me, but I am the most "eat meds" non-touchy feely hippie dippie person. I would not normally spout off or consider following something like this- but I have been pain free (kid is still fucked up) running every day for the last two years. Almost everyone else I know my age stopped running because of the pain. Fuck that. Quit reading these stupid books and blogs you and Sebby talk about for a few hours and change your damn life. Namaste!

Last edited by Hank Chinaski; 02-26-2019 at 04:41 PM..
Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 05:33 PM   #2589
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Sounds more like plantar fasciitis. I got hit with that a few years back. I though for all the world that I had a bruise, then it got me thinking it was a bone spur. Maybe I even had an X-ray that said I did? The PT guy said sometimes bone spurs hurt and sometimes they don't. I tried heel impact inserts- but they did nothing. Pretty soon my lower back started killing me (all of this only when running but I have to run for mental health if nothing else) I blamed the back on coddling the heel. The heel no longer hurt but the back was fucking my life up.

Then I remembered hearing all back pain is in your mind- Dr Sarno https://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/hea...SABEgJmn_D_BwE His theory is no one had back pain 100 years ago now half the people can barely walk or work. The cause is your sub-conscious causes pain to keep your conscious brain from dealing with something painful. The answer (the book takes 3 hours to read) is to train your brain to stop. I was to run and when the pain came think about the thing in my life I was trying to avoid dealing with (one of my kids is pretty fucked up- for you- it could be how much you hate your commute and that you do X instead- I dunno- you have to figure your shit out). so anyway, it took me 6 weeks of running through pain, but eventually your teach your brain to stop that shit. Since his initial theory he (and subsequent doctors) has found that pretty much all pain is from this sort thing. Certainly heel pain can be. You all do not know me, but I am the most "eat meds" non-touchy feely hippie dippie person. I would not normally spout off or consider following something like this- but I have been pain free (kid is still fucked up) running every day for the last two years. Almost everyone else I know my age stopped running because of the pain. Fuck that. Quit reading these stupid books and blogs you and Sebby talk about for a few hours and change your damn life. Namaste!
That's every bit as helpful as Adder's response. I have had plantar fasciitis before. This is not that. It's the back of my heel, not the bottom of the foot.
Old 02-26-2019, 06:30 PM   #2590
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
That's every bit as helpful as Adder's response. I have had plantar fasciitis before. This is not that. It's the back of my heel, not the bottom of the foot.
So was mine. I was being sincere, not flippant. The book has been magic for me.
Old 02-26-2019, 06:47 PM   #2591
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
So was mine. I was being sincere, not flippant. The book has been magic for me.
I actually had no problem running with the pain. The problem was not being able to walk without limping later.
Old 02-26-2019, 07:42 PM   #2592
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
I actually had no problem running with the pain. The problem was not being able to walk without limping later.
Fine. Go pay someone to help you stretch. Don't listen to the old guy who has ran everyday for 40 years.
Old 02-26-2019, 11:18 PM   #2593
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Fine. Go pay someone to help you stretch. Don't listen to the old guy who has ran everyday for 40 years.
I have run for years without pain and then I had acute heel pain that lasted for months after I stopped running. Does the doctor think that you should ignore any kind of pain, or just some pain? If the latter, how do you know which?
Old 02-26-2019, 11:25 PM   #2594
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
I have run for years without pain and then I had acute heel pain that lasted for months after I stopped running. Does the doctor think that you should ignore any kind of pain, or just some pain? If the latter, how do you know which?
Ummm yeah, that pain was because you were conflicted. Maybe was it while you were posting anti W nonsense and calling me a troll? Cuz that pain I can explain.
Old 02-27-2019, 12:10 AM   #2595
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Ummm yeah, that pain was because you were conflicted. Maybe was it while you were posting anti W nonsense and calling me a troll? Cuz that pain I can explain.
There was no pain until last October, so somehow I made it through the W years and all the troll accusations without feeling conflicted. No regrets.

But seriously, are you supposed to ignore all pain? Or just some pain?