LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 145
0 members and 145 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 02:36 PM   #121
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Re: We will be studying this until the end of time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replaced_Texan View Post
This is what they're afraid of: http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-...htmlstory.html

It's going to happen anyways, because:
I got to spend some time in Houston.

You and TM are both exactly right. Nothing scares a lot of pretty well-off, not economically distressed people I grew up within in upstate NY more than diversity, but it's coming and they need it.
Old 05-09-2017, 04:28 PM   #122
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Voter Suppression

Let me just say that this article addresses the effects of voter suppression on this particular election. And they're significant. But I want to know where the studies of "acceptable" voter suppression are? You know, the type that reduces the hours and days one can vote in black neighborhoods, the type that eliminates early voting, the type that reduces the number of polling places in black neighborhoods and reduces the number of polling machines in those same areas in order to create unbelievably long lines in order to discourage people from voting. Someone needs to study that shit.

"While states with no change to voter identification laws witnessed an average increased turnout of +1.3% from 2012 to 2016, Wisconsin’s turnout (where voter ID laws changed to strict) dropped by -3.3%. If turnout had instead increased by the national no-change average, we estimate that over 200,000 more voters would have voted in Wisconsin in 2016."

"The lost voters skewed more African-American and more Democrat. For example, Wisconsin’s 2016 electorate was 6.1% more Republican, and 5.7% less Democrat, than the group of ‘lost voters’. Furthermore, the WI electorate was 3.7% more White and 3.8% less African American than the group of ‘lost voters.’ This analysis suggests that the 200,000 lost voters would have both been more racially diverse and have voted more Democratic."

"In states where the voter identification laws did not change between ’12 and ’16, turnout was up +1.3%. In states where ID laws changed to non-strict (AL, NH, RI) turnout increased less, and was only up by +0.7%. In states where ID laws changed to strict (MS, VA, WI) turnout actually decreased by – 1.7%."

"In counties where African Americans make up less than 10% of the population AND there were no changes to voter ID laws, 2016 turnout was up +1.9% from 2012, but in similar <10% African American counties where ID laws changed to be strict, total turnout decreased by -0.7%. In counties where African Americans make up more than 40% of the population, however, 2016 turnout was down -2.2% from 2012 in states where ID laws did not change, but down -5 points in states where ID laws changed to be strict."

https://www.thenation.com/article/wi...-won-by-23000/

TM
Old 05-09-2017, 07:45 PM   #123
sebastian_dangerfield

Easy Comey...,

(I had nothin' better.)
Old 05-09-2017, 08:03 PM   #124
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Re: Easy Comey...,

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
(I had nothin' better.)
On days like today, I like to remind myself that the two parties are pretty much the same. If it wasn't Trump firing the law-enforcement professionals investigating his campaign for colluding with the Russians, we know Hillary would have been doing the same thing.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 05-09-2017, 09:01 PM   #125
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
On days like today, I like to remind myself that the two parties are pretty much the same. If it wasn't Trump firing the law-enforcement professionals investigating his campaign for colluding with the Russians, we know Hillary would have been doing the same thing.
Zzzzzzzzzzzz

This is the Peter Principle in real time. Neither he nor his people are smart or schooled enough, particularly in quasi-criminal Machiavellian strateg-- err, I mean, politics.

Fuck 'em all. Total shitshow.

Last edited by sebastian_dangerfield; 05-09-2017 at 09:11 PM..
Old 05-10-2017, 08:30 AM   #126
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Re: At least Johnson has the excuse of being stoned....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
Isn't it the truth.

Why didn't we all listen to Jill Stein and Gary Johnson? Boy, don't their words ring true today.
Old 05-10-2017, 11:03 AM   #127
sebastian_dangerfield

...or an ativan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
Isn't it the truth.

Why didn't we all listen to Jill Stein and Gary Johnson? Boy, don't their words ring true today.
Let's not be too dramatic here.

1. The FBI will continue doing what it's been doing, regardless of who's in charge;
2. Clapper* and Lindsey Graham, both of whom detest Trump, and had/have access to unreleased investigation files, have said they've seen no evidence of collusion; and,
3. The FBI is not engaged in not a criminal investigation, so it's not the dread Watergate Part Deux.

If this takes Trump down, I'll be conflicted. I fear Pence, as he actually knows how to get things done, and is a cuckoo pants Jesus Freak. But on the other hand, Trump's run-and-gun approach is a fucking disaster.

Either way, the hysterical media and social media bleatings about authoritarianism and Nixonian purges are silly. There's no constitutional crisis afoot. It's just a President who's way, way out of his depth, and who still believes he can hire and fire as though it's the private sector. The sun will rise tomorrow. Don't waste a xanax.

_____
* Granted, however, this man notoriously committed purgery in Senate hearings on domestic spying a few years back, so he might not be the truthiest source out there.

Last edited by sebastian_dangerfield; 05-10-2017 at 11:09 AM..
Old 05-10-2017, 11:18 AM   #128
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Re: ...or an ativan

Quote:
1. The FBI will continue doing what it's been doing, regardless of who's in charge;
Unless it doesn't. You have a whole lot of faith in bureaucracy all of a sudden. I think it's entirely possible he gets a director intent on shutting it down. Then it's on Congress to hold him accountable. They've shown no sign of being capable of that.

Quote:
I fear Pence, as he actually knows how to get things done, and is a cuckoo pants Jesus Freak.
The VP who takes over after his boss is impeached, especially one who has been willing to carry so much of his boss's water, is not going to be very effective

Quote:
Either way, the hysterical media and social media bleatings about authoritarianism and Nixonian purges are silly.
It's not. He just fired the guy who is leading an investigation into his campaign. That's seriously shady shit.

Quote:
It's just a President who's way, way out of his depth, and who still believes he can hire and fire as though it's the private sector.
That's a big issue too. And even more so that apparently his people haven't told him he can't.
Old 05-10-2017, 11:20 AM   #129
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:

2. Clapper* and Lindsey Graham, both of whom detest Trump, and had/have access to unreleased investigation files, have said they've seen no evidence of collusion; and,
3. The FBI is not engaged in not a criminal investigation, so it's not the dread Watergate Part Deux.

If this takes Trump down, I'll be conflicted. I fear Pence, as he actually knows how to get things done, and is a cuckoo pants Jesus Freak. But on the other hand, Trump's run-and-gun approach is a fucking disaster.

Either way, the hysterical media and social media bleatings about authoritarianism and Nixonian purges are silly. There's no constitutional crisis afoot. It's just a President who's way, way out of his depth, and who still believes he can hire and fire as though it's the private sector. The sun will rise tomorrow. Don't waste a xanax.

_____
* Granted, however, this man notoriously committed purgery in Senate hearings on domestic spying a few years back, so he might not be the truthiest source out there.
No one is being too dramatic here. But realize (see posts above), we're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you.
Old 05-10-2017, 11:24 AM   #130
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
No one is being too dramatic here. But realize (see posts above), we're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you.
I've a hangnail paining me about 100X more.

(BTW, if you truly want to depress the shit out of me, suggest you and I have the same sense of humor.)

Last edited by sebastian_dangerfield; 05-10-2017 at 11:27 AM..
Old 05-10-2017, 11:47 AM   #131
sebastian_dangerfield

[QUOTE=Adder;507519]
Quote:
Unless it doesn't. You have a whole lot of faith in bureaucracy all of a sudden. I think it's entirely possible he gets a director intent on shutting it down. Then it's on Congress to hold him accountable. They've shown no sign of being capable of that.
He's not escaping this investigation's conclusion. By this latest dimwit move, he's removed even the slightest chance of that happening.

Quote:
The VP who takes over after his boss is impeached, especially one who has been willing to carry so much of his boss's water, is not going to be very effective
If he's effective at all, he'll be more effective than Trump. And, most significantly, Pence can unify the GOP. Pence could be frighteningly effective.

Quote:
It's not. He just fired the guy who is leading an investigation into his campaign. That's seriously shady shit.
Who cares if it's shady. What's of importance is it's really fucking dumb, and it only harms the guy engaged in the shadiness. In this regard, if your aim is to see Trump implode, or see the investigation move forward even less impeded than before, it's a welcome development.

Plus, Comey really did fuck up in 2016. His public commentary harming Hillary, then absolving her, was official malpractice of the worst kind.

Quote:
That's a big issue too. And even more so that apparently his people haven't told him he can't.
I agree on this. Trump is clearly out of his fucking mind, and I'm shocked no one is able to take his twitter feed away from him. I understand he's a domineering lunatic, but for fuck's sake... Somebody has to be able to talk some sense into this guy. His sister's a federal judge, no? Can't she call him up and explain checks, balances, three branches, govt-differing-from-business to him?
Old 05-10-2017, 12:04 PM   #132
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
Yep. Nothing to see here.

You are a clown.

TM
Old 05-10-2017, 12:24 PM   #133
Pretty Little Flower

Quote:
Zzzzzzzzzzzz

This is the Peter Principle in real time. Neither he nor his people are smart or schooled enough, particularly in quasi-criminal Machiavellian strateg-- err, I mean, politics.

Fuck 'em all. Total shitshow.
You have become a cartoon. A total fucking cartoon. You argue that Trump has hired smart competent moderate people (with a few exceptions), yet tell us not to worry about the Comey firing because neither he nor his staff is smart enough to figure out that firing the person who is leading the investigation against you might have a chilling effect on that investigation. You repeatedly point out that Bill Clinton resorted to racist tactics with respect to sentencing guidelines and race-based scare tactics with respect to the criminal justice system in general, but we don't have to worry about racism because nobody who is racist could ever become wealthy or successful -- they are all "losers."

Is it possible to have less than zero credibility? Is that what you are shooting for? You are like the opposite of the boy who cried wolf. You could have an entire wolf pack gnawing on your balls and you would swear that there's nothing to be concerned about because everyone knows that wolves like to nibble but won't actually bite.

JB for the Daily Dose, live on Soul Train. "Say it loud . . . ."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VRSAVDlpDI

I am not sorry.
Old 05-10-2017, 01:24 PM   #134
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Re: Mother, mother, mother - there's too many of you crying.

Meeting with the Russian the next day, and letting Russian media in but keeping US media out, and inviting Kissinger is just bizarre.
Old 05-10-2017, 02:26 PM   #135
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretty Little Flower View Post
You have become a cartoon. A total fucking cartoon. You argue that Trump has hired smart competent moderate people (with a few exceptions), yet tell us not to worry about the Comey firing because neither he nor his staff is smart enough to figure out that firing the person who is leading the investigation against you might have a chilling effect on that investigation. You repeatedly point out that Bill Clinton resorted to racist tactics with respect to sentencing guidelines and race-based scare tactics with respect to the criminal justice system in general, but we don't have to worry about racism because nobody who is racist could ever become wealthy or successful -- they are all "losers."

Is it possible to have less than zero credibility? Is that what you are shooting for? You are like the opposite of the boy who cried wolf. You could have an entire wolf pack gnawing on your balls and you would swear that there's nothing to be concerned about because everyone knows that wolves like to nibble but won't actually bite.

JB for the Daily Dose, live on Soul Train. "Say it loud . . . ."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VRSAVDlpDI
Some days I find myself day dreaming, thinking about how nice it would be if Jill Stein lost her healthcare coverage and got arrested for protesting and Gary Johnson got busted by Sessions for possession, which is a preexisting condition, and they were both thrown in a for-profit prison where they could become pen pals complaining about how horrible Hillary would have been, and then I wake up, and think I must be evil for wishing this on anyone, and then I pause, and say, to hell with it, I wish it would really happen and maybe Sebby would be thrown in there with them.