LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 178
0 members and 178 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 03:30 PM   #2941
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Re: We are all Slave now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
I had to look up this reference. But it reminds me that while I was studying hard sciences in college, you had Greek mythology classes. I again commit to never arguing with you about facts relating to Greek mythology. Can you remember this when you next are about to challenge science facts I explain to you?
I never took a class on Greek mythology, but I have read the Odyssey three times in the last decade. I particularly recommend Emily Wilson's new translation -- very readable.

Also, not sure I would call the Odyssey a myth.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar

Last edited by Tyrone Slothrop; 09-19-2018 at 04:01 PM..
Old 09-19-2018, 03:46 PM   #2942
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Re: And gendered issues include contraception and abortion

Can I just say that what I think is most important here is this:

When the next case comes before the Supreme Court involving sexual harassment, rape, or some other gendered issue, will we be able to trust the justices and expect them to uphold high standards of justice?

We're not dealing with the problems of a couple people here, those aren't worth a hill of beans given what is at stake.
Old 09-19-2018, 04:56 PM   #2943
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
It's about turnout and motivation. They are caught between true conservatives who demand Kavanaugh on the Court and moderate women. I suspect most Senators don't care whether the next Justice is Kavanaugh or another conservative -- unlike some prior Justices, who were picked because they were tight with Senators, Kavanaugh was picked by the White House.
You keep saying these things like there are significant numbers of people who would be voting for these assholes who wouldn't be if they push Kavanaugh through with only a cursory "investigation" into the allegations.

Who exactly are these people that are so in tune with Senate procedure, but so out of tune with (or okay with) all the other shit that the Senate, House, and President have been pulling, that this will change their votes or keep them from showing up?

I understand every little bit helps. Sure. But, you made a statement like this fuckery puts them in some kind of additional deep trouble in November. Nah.

TM
Old 09-19-2018, 04:57 PM   #2944
LessinSF
Wearing the cranky pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
Potential rape? Wait... Did he actually have sex with her? I read that he tried to take her clothes off and she stopped him, and then his friend might have stopped him. Am I missing something?
No. And my FB thread is full of other people using the word "rape" without the modifier "attempted," so the people here are in good company.
Old 09-19-2018, 05:06 PM   #2945
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurgreedMarshall View Post
You keep saying these things like there are significant numbers of people who would be voting for these assholes who wouldn't be if they push Kavanaugh through with only a cursory "investigation" into the allegations.

Who exactly are these people that are so in tune with Senate procedure, but so out of tune with (or okay with) all the other shit that the Senate, House, and President have been pulling, that this will change their votes or keep them from showing up?

I understand every little bit helps. Sure. But, you made a statement like this fuckery puts them in some kind of additional deep trouble in November. Nah.

TM
It's less about whether Kavanaugh ends up on the Court and more about how they treat Blasey Ford.

My consistent view is that the composition of the Court is an issue that motivates the right more than the left. This is why McConnell's treatment of Merrick Garland worked for him. I'm not saying the Court doesn't matter, but I am saying that when it's an issue, it fires up the right much more than the left. The right is counting on the court to stop liberal legislation. The left is not counting on the second coming of Earl Warren.

IMO, what really pissed women off in '92 was less the eventual elevation of Thomas, and more the way that fit into a story about how woman are treated. If there's a hearing next week, and Republican Senators go after Blasey Ford to try to shred her story and save Kavanaugh's nomination, I think it will boost Democratic turnout in the November. Two-thirds of the GOP Senators aren't up for election this year, so they may not really care.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar

Last edited by Tyrone Slothrop; 09-19-2018 at 05:16 PM..
Old 09-19-2018, 05:14 PM   #2946
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessinSF View Post
No. And my FB thread is full of other people using the word "rape" without the modifier "attempted," so the people here are in good company.
perhaps potential attempted rape is most accurate.

I'm not actually concerned here with what the "crime" might have been, but rather with him and his character. I'd actually even be willing myself to support someone going on the court who had committed some dreadful crime as a teenager if I saw that they had repented and done their penance. But if he's just another sleezeball who remains proud of his nefarious youthful exploits regardless of who they hurt or what they were, screw him, he doesn't belong on the court or in any other position of authority.
Old 09-19-2018, 05:24 PM   #2947
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

All the President's (incompetent lawyer) men.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:30 PM   #2948
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessinSF View Post
Fuck that website. And fuck everybody who likes it. Idiot magnet of the internet.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:33 PM   #2949
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
In my story, he's already the Pope. So it wasn't a story about keeping the cardinal from becoming the Pope. You just don't seem to be able to imagine a story that isn't essentially about the man's career advancement.
This is soft-headed shit right here. I get there are numerous reasons she’s doing this, but the issue is a person who may have engaged in sexual battery may ascend to SCOTUS. So, yeah, it’s about a lot more than her, or him.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:35 PM   #2950
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
Fuck that website. And fuck everybody who likes it. Idiot magnet of the internet.
Third party voters on FB can at least blame the Russian hackers for voting 3rd party, you got no cover.

Conf to sebby: hating on FB insult Thurgreed and Atticus. Gotta stand up for those two.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:36 PM   #2951
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
This is soft-headed shit right here. I get there are numerous reasons she’s doing this, but the issue is a person who may have engaged in sexual battery may ascend to SCOTUS. So, yeah, it’s about a lot more than her, or him.
No kidding, Dick Tracy.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:40 PM   #2952
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
I am saying something different from what you are, and you are so stung by the fact that I'm disagreeing with you that you aren't following what the disagreement is.

She is not an "asset" or the "infantry" of the Democrats. They do not control her. She has her own free will. She did not join them. She has her own reasons for what she is doing, that may or may not coincide with their. Obviously, the fact of her story is beneficial for Democratic Senators right now. But what I keep objecting to is your willingness to reduce things to that, to suggest that she is a soldier in their cause.

Can you not imagine that her motives may be more complicated than wanting to keep him off the Court? Apparently not. Sorry that her motives may not be what you want them to be, that she might not want to play the part in the melodrama that you have assigned to her.
Perhaps if you’d cease ignoring what I’m writing, you’d understand I agree with you.

I am not saying and never have said that she is doing this to aid Dems. But I am saying a significant reason she is doing this - far more so than any others - is to stop a sexual predator from getting a scotus appointment. If you know of some other reason, please offer it. You don’t have to betray a confidence, but what you’re saying makes little sense as currently presented. It simply doesn’t stand on its own without the reason being offered.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:45 PM   #2953
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Third party voters on FB can at least blame the Russian hackers for voting 3rd party, you got no cover.

Conf to sebby: hating on FB insult Thurgreed and Atticus. Gotta stand up for those two.
I’d put Zuckerberg up there with reality tv in terms of turning this country’s IQ down about 20 points. Blight on humanity... a chief accelerant of our march toward Idiocracy.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:47 PM   #2954
sebastian_dangerfield

Re: And gendered issues include contraception and abortion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
Can I just say that what I think is most important here is this:

When the next case comes before the Supreme Court involving sexual harassment, rape, or some other gendered issue, will we be able to trust the justices and expect them to uphold high standards of justice?

We're not dealing with the problems of a couple people here, those aren't worth a hill of beans given what is at stake.
Rare moment where I agree 100%.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:25 PM   #2955
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
I am not saying and never have said that she is doing this to aid Dems.
Bullshit, Seb. You said she was the D's infantry. You may not have thought about what you were saying, but that is what you said.

Quote:
But I am saying a significant reason she is doing this - far more so than any others - is to stop a sexual predator from getting a scotus appointment. If you know of some other reason, please offer it. You don’t have to betray a confidence, but what you’re saying makes little sense as currently presented. It simply doesn’t stand on its own without the reason being offered.
Her reasons are undoubtedly more complex than the way you have attempted to describe them, and the simple way you have described them -- as attempt to keep Kavanaugh off the court -- echos GOP talking points about the unfair thing that is being done to him, whether you realize it or not.
Closed Thread