LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > The Fashionable

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 169
0 members and 169 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Old 09-08-2015, 10:24 PM   #1021
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Re: No Faith in the Moral Standards of the Players as a Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmmm, Burger (C.J.) View Post
A propos of nothing, do you or Donald Trump have the patent on the response technique of barely addressing the question but following it with an ad hominem attack?
You losers with your "gotcha" questions.
Old 09-08-2015, 10:32 PM   #1022
Pretty Little Flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurgreedMarshall View Post
Yep. The difference is I'm not sucking my own dick in my arguments like you. Write that down too.
I'm not following the congo generally but this caught my eye. O.K., I wrote it down. Not sucking your own dick. What next? I don't want to be carrying around this piece of paper describing your non-auto-fellatio indefinitely.

I am not sorry.
Pretty Little Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 04:09 AM   #1023
J. Fred Muggs

Re: Ketchup

Quote:
I completely disagree. If he is unable to perform sexually and does not want her to fuck other guys, given that they made vows to be faithful (presumably in sickness or in health), it is not okay to get some on the side. The fact that she doesn't get permission in advance and has to do it in secret is the exact issue. If she is not satisfied to the extent she has to get it elsewhere and lie and keep it a secret, she is in the wrong. She should get a divorce.

Well, maybe you and I have different ideas of what marriage means. If your wife agrees to be faithful no matter what and you get sick such that you have problems performing, her sneaking around and getting it elsewhere without telling should be fatal. If she can't live with her promise, she should ask for a divorce (which are granted for loss of consortium).

You're right. It's a shitty example. But I don't think you can come up with one that doesn't involve consent from the other person, which destroys the example.

If Hank plows my wife, everybody dies.

TM
The difference is that Hank dies happy; which is better than everyone else (especially your wife) who dies.
J. Fred Muggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 09:21 AM   #1024
Not Bob

Looking for answers to questions that bothered him so (advice sought re Paris).

So, I have a friend* who will be going to Paris for the first time later in the fall. While she** would like to stay at Le Meurice or reenact Hemmingway's liberation of the Ritz, she is a mere working girl*** and the budget is probably more along the lines of a Marriott.

Suggestions? Areas of the city that you recommend to stay in or to avoid?

Re things to do, anything that is Not Obvious? For example, the Musee d'Orsay is obvious to me; something like Shakespeare & Co. is less obvious to me.

As they say in the City of Light, "mucho gracias."

*Yup, a friend.

**Yes, I have chick friends. Although my wife doesn't know this one. But asking for advice on behalf of said friend on a sorta anonymous lawyer chat board isn't cheating, right?

***Really? Don't say it. I will be very disappointed.
Not Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:33 AM   #1025
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Re: Looking for answers to questions that bothered him so (advice sought re Paris).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Bob View Post
So, I have a friend* who will be going to Paris for the first time later in the fall. While she** would like to stay at Le Meurice or reenact Hemmingway's liberation of the Ritz, she is a mere working girl*** and the budget is probably more along the lines of a Marriott.
I tend to do these things super touristy. I'd stay somewhere in the Latin Quarter/left bank to facilitate walking to the tourist stuff you want to see.

It's also Paris and you're going to spend most of your time not in your room, and I'm a cheap bastard, so I would look for something less expensive. Last time I was there, I stayed here. Location was great. Hotel was perfectly fine. We were only there one night. Our room had no view.
Adder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:47 AM   #1026
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
Say what? I thought you were essentially suggesting that Berman ruled against the league on the law, and didn't have a view on the underlying facts, which is why there was no vindication for Brady. But now you're telling me that the legal reasoning was pretextual, and that he was looking for a reason to rule against the league. But presumably not because he thinks Brady didn't do it. So then why?
This is just plain stupid. The league's disciplinary and appeals process is a joke. You think the fact that he wants to overturn the decision based on that process means he wants to vindicate Brady? What are you smoking?

Quote:
In my world, a federal judge uses scarequotes to indicate sarcastically that he thinks something is stupid. (Not just federal judges -- other people do it too.) There's no reason for a close reading in your world, because Berman doesn't really believe what he's saying -- he's just results-oriented -- and anything I see in what he says is really just a sublimated indication of my own desire for 'Brady fellatio'.
In your world conjecture magically turns into "a close reading." Fuck outta here.

Quote:
You world is depressing and I'm glad I don't live there.
BURN! However shall I go on?

Quote:
Berman did address the league's argument, and he rejected for reasons that I would bother to relate if I thought that both of us would attach some significance to what he said.
You cherry picked part of the decision on that point. Burger and I were discussing the other sections, dumbass. If you don't want to discuss the other sections, then kick rocks.

TM
ThurgreedMarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:49 AM   #1027
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
Keep talking -- you're making TM's posts look more reasonable.
Hank is right. Your world may be filled with the intricacies of employment law and close readings of decisions only you can perform because of your vast and always on point expertise, but you have proven time and time again that you don't know shit about any sport you're discussing.

TM
Old 09-09-2015, 10:52 AM   #1028
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
A propos of nothing, do you or Donald Trump have the patent on the response technique of barely addressing the question but following it with an ad hominem attack?
Uh...wrong. I respond with substance AND insults. If start an argument with, "Well, I have some experience in employment law, so here's why my opinion means something a little more," you deserve to be insulted. It's like the jackass at the cocktail party who jumps in and says, "Well, I'm a lawyer and here's what I think of the marriage equality decision." Yeah. You're a dick.

TM

Last edited by ThurgreedMarshall; 09-09-2015 at 11:38 AM..
Old 09-09-2015, 10:53 AM   #1029
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Re: Looking for answers to questions that bothered him so (advice sought re Paris).

Quote:

Re things to do, anything that is Not Obvious? For example, the Musee d'Orsay is obvious to me; something like Shakespeare & Co. is less obvious to me.

*Yup, a friend.

**Yes, I have chick friends. Although my wife doesn't know this one. But asking for advice on behalf of said friend on a sorta anonymous lawyer chat board isn't cheating, right?

The good news is, a lot of the very pricey hotel rooms in Paris suck,* so if she gets a cheapo one that sucks, it may still be no worse than what she'd get on a champagne and caviar budget.

Paris is full of little hotels, many of them cobbled together collections of rooms down little side streets. I've found my priceline batting average is about 50% hidden gems and 50% wretched and strange little dives. That's about the same batting average I have with top Parisian hotels on someone else's dime. So I'd consider using Priceline for a cheapo hotel.**

I am sure she will want some excessively rich snobby french food, but in my humble opinion you can eat very well in Paris on North African street food in some of the Arab neighborhoods. I love French-influenced food from former French colonies that combines French fats with tropical spices, so looking for Vietnamese, Cambodian, West or North African, or Caribbean food may qualify as less obvious.*** Avoid Indian food in Paris, it is generally not up to the standards from the other side of the Channel. I'll have to see if I can pull up some of the good ethnic restaurants I've been, but I'm not sure I've really kept track and its not a place I go that much.

* Yes, there are some perfectly good hotels in Paris. But even the 5 star hotels don't bowl me over. It is not a city known for its service.
** I understand that this is a chick friend you haven't told your wife about. If you want to get a room in the same place, of course, you'll have to go direct, since Priceline has a certain spin of the wheel quality. I understand this makes it harder to accidentally discover yourself right there with her, so if that's the plan, disregard the suggestion.
*** But even the ethnic places insist on putting lots of meat in everything, often pork or lard. We once had to ask an Indian restaurant if they had vegetarian options. And I've been in Parisian Thai and Chinese places that didn't have anything with bean curd.

Last edited by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy; 09-09-2015 at 10:57 AM..
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 11:00 AM   #1030
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Hank is right. Your world may be filled with the intricacies of employment law and close readings of decisions only you can perform because of your vast and always on point expertise, but you have proven time and time again that you don't know shit about any sport you're discussing.

TM
Henceforth, I think all sports post ought to include a footnote specifically identifying how the poster has performed in our annual March Madness event.* Because I don't care how much anyone knows if they can't put the ball in the net.

*^GGG, 2 time winner.
Old 09-09-2015, 11:04 AM   #1031
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
Or maybe a league lawyer convinced them that trying such a brazen end run around the CBA (oh, we can't punish you like we agreed, so we'll punish you for conduct detrimental) would get bounced out of course even faster than this case.
Maybe. That's certainly plausible.

Quote:
The problem here is not that the NFL didn't come up with punishment for this - they did, and it's $5512/incident for players. It's that they felt that the predetermined punishment they viewed as insufficient so came up with other grounds for imposing more punishment. It's like some guy getting arrested for doing 75 in a 55 but the judge decides because it was a Ferrari, and it's a hedge fund douche so he should be sent to jail for 30 days instead of fined $250 as provided in the law.
Well, that's surely the argument that won. But then what's the point of the conduct detrimental language if not to catch activity that hasn't occurred and that the league can't (or wouldn't think would be probable enough to occur to) lay out? If Brady switched out the balls for balls that were twice as accurate because of some new technology, he only gets a $5,512 fine? If a player lines his forearms with steel and smashes another player's femur on a legal tackle, $5,512 fine? What's the point of the provision?

Maybe the answer is the language is so amorphous that by definition its very use violates DP's requirement of notice. I can buy that even if one would think that the League should be able to protect itself from shit it hasn't come across.

TM

Last edited by ThurgreedMarshall; 09-09-2015 at 11:40 AM..
Old 09-09-2015, 11:05 AM   #1032
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretty Little Flower View Post
I'm not following the congo generally but this caught my eye. O.K., I wrote it down. Not sucking your own dick. What next? I don't want to be carrying around this piece of paper describing your non-auto-fellatio indefinitely.
Drop it off in the Congo.

TM
Old 09-09-2015, 11:12 AM   #1033
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Re: Ketchup

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Fred Muggs View Post
The difference is that Hank dies happy; which is better than everyone else (especially your wife) who dies.
https://youtu.be/UgxXPhb9zjI?t=3m41s

TM
Old 09-09-2015, 11:22 AM   #1034
Sidd Finch
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:

*Yup, a friend.

I'd recommend staying in the area around Montparnasse. It's fun, there are cheaper hotels, and unlike being in the Latin Quarter or other more popular tourist areas it is not overwhelmed by Americans or by people in their 20s (since she's your "friend," I'm assuming she's a bit older than that). I've stayed in a couple of hotels on Rue Delambre which were reasonably priced..

She should go to the recently reopened Picasso Museum. The Musee de Quai Branly (art from African, Native American, etc. traditions) is also beautiful. The Montparnasse Cemetery is worth a visit but Pere Lachaise is even more so.

The outdoor markets can be a lot fun. Some are selling food, others artwork, others all kind of random stuff. There is a fun one on Blvd. Edgar Quinet, which is right in the area I'm recommending.

I could go on and on and on. We go to Paris nearly every year (though it's been two years now and I am itching to go back). Feel free to PM me if you want to ask for details based on what your "friend" actually likes to do.
Old 09-09-2015, 11:28 AM   #1035
Replaced_Texan
Random Syndicate (admin)

Quote:

*Yup, a friend.

I'm a big fan of TripAdvisor for finding a place to stay pretty much anywhere. It's sort of a yelp for travel, but the reviews tend to be more in depth and less pissed off than Yelp.
"In the olden days before the internet, you'd take this sort of person for a ride out into the woods and shoot them, as Darwin intended, before he could spawn."--Will the Vampire People Leave the Lobby? pg 79
Replaced_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote