LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > The Fashionable

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 107
0 members and 107 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Old 09-08-2015, 05:06 PM   #991
Did you just call me Coltrane?

Re: No Faith in the Moral Standards of the Players as a Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post

Well, the half the time you are predicting the wrong play, that is actually unhelpful.
Or half the time you are about as accurate as the other teams. Who are also predicting plays but with less/different information. The other half you have a significant advantage, e.g. Tecmo Bowl.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:17 PM   #992
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Did you just call me Coltrane? View Post
The other half you have a significant advantage, e.g. Tecmo Bowl.
Just give it to Bo.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:17 PM   #993
Replaced_Texan
Random Syndicate (admin)

Re: Ketchup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurgreedMarshall View Post
I completely disagree. If he is unable to perform sexually and does not want her to fuck other guys, given that they made vows to be faithful (presumably in sickness or in health), it is not okay to get some on the side. The fact that she doesn't get permission in advance and has to do it in secret is the exact issue. If she is not satisfied to the extent she has to get it elsewhere and lie and keep it a secret, she is in the wrong. She should get a divorce.

Well, maybe you and I have different ideas of what marriage means. If your wife agrees to be faithful no matter what and you get sick such that you have problems performing, her sneaking around and getting it elsewhere without telling should be fatal. If she can't live with her promise, she should ask for a divorce (which are granted for loss of consortium).

You're right. It's a shitty example. But I don't think you can come up with one that doesn't involve consent from the other person, which destroys the example.

If Hank plows my wife, everybody dies.

TM
I tend to side with Adder on the usefulness of jealousy in general. My husband is surrounded by/works with gorgeous women in yoga clothes during the day and gorgeous women who take off their clothes at night. And women, for whatever reason, tend to hit on the DJ all the fucking time. But I trust him, and bless him, he says I'm beautiful. So I send him off to all these other women not particularly worried that anything is going to happen.

That said, betraying trust is a big fucking deal in my book. If things aren't working out in one aspect of our relationship and someone needs to fuck around, that person damned well better talk about it with the other one first. We have a lot of friends in various stages of open relationships, and we've seen first hand the headaches they can cause. One of the very first conversations we ever had about our relationship status was "can you do open relationship" and both of us were firmly on the "no" side. I don't see that changing, but maybe we'd be ok with it if there were some other issue going on. But we wouldn't be ok with going behind each other's back. At. All. Doesn't matter how discreet or courteous or otherwise conscious of how we're not trying to hurt the other person. Without talking about it, without full buy in from the other partner, it's not ok.

This is one of the better discussions (including the comment section) I've seen on the subject: http://www.theawl.com/2013/07/ask-po...eat-on-my-wife
"In the olden days before the internet, you'd take this sort of person for a ride out into the woods and shoot them, as Darwin intended, before he could spawn."--Will the Vampire People Leave the Lobby? pg 79
Replaced_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 05:19 PM   #994
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)

Quote:
The decision expressly says: "In view of the Court's determinations regarding the inadequacy of notice and discovery afforded to Brady, the Court does not reach Brady's other claims, which include ... Brady argues that 'Goodell purports to sustain the suspension on factual conclusions that Brady participated in ball tampering -- but those factual conclusions ... appear nowhere in the Wells Report and were not the basis for the discipline imposed by Vincent." I'm sure that Brady's lawyers included this argument to shoot for vindication, since it gave Berman a chance to address the evidence about what Brady did, but Berman declined the invitation. So there was no vindication for him.
That claim isn't aimed at the underlying facts (or "facts") - it's aimed at Goodell's final discipline, which is based on reinterpretation of "facts" and the addition of those not in the Wells report, in that specific case Goodell's finding that Brady participated, when the Wells report found only general awareness. Whatever the flaws of the Wells report, Brady did not challenge the factual findings because basically there's no legal basis under the CBA for him to do so.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:21 PM   #995
Did you just call me Coltrane?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmmm, Burger (C.J.) View Post
Just give it to Bo.
Or call the unstoppable (even if the defense called it) Cap Boso play.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:22 PM   #996
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
As someone who now occasionally practices employment law, I didn't think the distinction I was making was technical.
I hope you talk like this in real life so everyone can instantly experience what a douche you sound like.

Quote:
I read Berman to be saying that while the arbitration could have been fair, it wasn't, for specific reasons relating to the way the NFL handled things.
The arbitration could have been fair if Goodell hadn't appointed himself hearing officer in "any appeal." Are you saying that if he had given Brady notice that he could be suspended for cheating, granted Brady access to the investigator and the notes, that he could have then appointed himself hearing officer and shut it down after patiently listening to all of Brady's evidence?

Quote:
I do think that if you read the decision, it's hard to escape thinking that Berman did not buy any of what the NFL was selling, including the proposition that the league was addressing a real problem. For example, the putting of "independent" in scarequotes.
I honestly think you're looking so hard to find something that reads well for Brady that you think this means something.

Quote:
Relatively speaking, I agree, but with these arbitrations there should be some pretense that the employer and employee actually agreed to what is going on, and the lack of notice goes to the problem that Goodell was just making it up as he went.
Goodell was definitely making it up as he went along. But to stand before a judge and say, "I had NO idea that cheating of this type would be punished," is nonsense. You can argue that the number of games is without precedent (and Kraft (and I'm sure Brady) was ready to accept a shorter suspension) and Berman wouldn't have been wrong to reduce the suspension. But to say that you weren't on notice that you would be punished for participating in a cheating scheme, but the coaches and GM were, is just plain absurd.

TM
ThurgreedMarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 05:24 PM   #997
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
I just said it helped them or they wouldn't have done it, and you think I said it didn't help them. Why don't you find someone who is actually spouting the bullshit you hear and argue with him instead?
Because you also said, "But it doesn't sound like it helped much," which is some bullshit you cannot support no matter how many articles you quote.

TM
Old 09-08-2015, 05:25 PM   #998
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
Well, the half the time you are predicting the wrong play, that is actually unhelpful.
Ha ha ha ha! This is the best thing you've ever written. You are mainly correct!

TM
Old 09-08-2015, 05:25 PM   #999
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
I'd rather stay married.
That is because you spent 15 years unable to get sex. You'd be crazy to leave under any circumstance. Most normal men would feel they are hardly in a marriage if their wife was going around fucking men.

I mean do you know what a cornudo is?
Old 09-08-2015, 05:27 PM   #1000
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
if she does and it's a one (or minimal) time thing akin to giving in to temptation, I do not want to know about it, which I've told her.
you are so weird. how does that conversation come up?
Old 09-08-2015, 05:31 PM   #1001
Hank Chinaski

Quote:

Translation: I don't understand football defense. hint- it is about having a more accurate tendency. Like on 3rd and 10 you expect a pass, but you still are aware it might be a run.

Now with the film you can expect an out route has been called. That doesn't mean you don't also be mindful of a run.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:33 PM   #1002
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Most normal men would feel they are hardly in a marriage if their wife was going around fucking men.
Most normal men might want to spend some time pondering how frequently wives cheat.

Also, there's a lot of room between mistake and/or rare extenuating circumstances and "going around fucking men."
Adder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 05:34 PM   #1003
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replaced_Texan View Post
I tend to side with Adder on the usefulness of jealousy in general. My husband is surrounded by/works with gorgeous women in yoga clothes during the day and gorgeous women who take off their clothes at night. And women, for whatever reason, tend to hit on the DJ all the fucking time. But I trust him, and bless him, he says I'm beautiful. So I send him off to all these other women not particularly worried that anything is going to happen.

That said, betraying trust is a big fucking deal in my book. If things aren't working out in one aspect of our relationship and someone needs to fuck around, that person damned well better talk about it with the other one first. We have a lot of friends in various stages of open relationships, and we've seen first hand the headaches they can cause. One of the very first conversations we ever had about our relationship status was "can you do open relationship" and both of us were firmly on the "no" side. I don't see that changing, but maybe we'd be ok with it if there were some other issue going on. But we wouldn't be ok with going behind each other's back. At. All. Doesn't matter how discreet or courteous or otherwise conscious of how we're not trying to hurt the other person. Without talking about it, without full buy in from the other partner, it's not ok.

This is one of the better discussions (including the comment section) I've seen on the subject: http://www.theawl.com/2013/07/ask-po...eat-on-my-wife
sounds to me like you disagree with Adder. I trust my wife 100%, I'm sure thurgreed trusts his. No one was saying anything to the contrary.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:40 PM   #1005
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurgreedMarshall View Post
I
Goodell was definitely making it up as he went along. But to stand before a judge and say, "I had NO idea that cheating of this type would be punished," is nonsense. You can argue that the number of games is without precedent (and Kraft (and I'm sure Brady) was ready to accept a shorter suspension) and Berman wouldn't have been wrong to reduce the suspension. But to say that you weren't on notice that you would be punished for participating in a cheating scheme, but the coaches and GM were, is just plain absurd.

TM
That wasn't his argument. His argument was that he had been notified that the fine for such cheating was $5512 or something.