LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 38
3 members and 35 guests
Adder, Hank Chinaski, ThurgreedMarshall
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Old Today, 12:47 AM   #2866
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Re: We are all Slave now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Ok then what does it mean he got picked for that?
The Emperor had a lot of Stormtroopers on the Death Star that Luke and Leia ha to fight through before they got to Vader.
Old Today, 10:03 AM   #2867
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurgreedMarshall View Post
I think the question is ridiculous. If anyone is selected to the highest court because he's a safe vote to keep the person doing the nominating out of criminal trouble, our republic is in deep trouble no matter how the rest of the justices opine.

TM
Our Republic has been in trouble for a long time. That Kavanaugh is being selected in part for the reason you cite (which he is) isn't putting us in more trouble as much as merely confirming the trouble we've been in... and which we deny.
Old Today, 10:39 AM   #2868
Replaced_Texan
Random Syndicate (admin)

Quote:
From what I've read, he got picked mainly because Trump liked him. I'm sure the Presidential power / suspicion of the limits on that power stuff helped make his case, but I've heard it just came down to personality. Which tell us all we should run hard and fast from this guy.
"In the olden days before the internet, you'd take this sort of person for a ride out into the woods and shoot them, as Darwin intended, before he could spawn."--Will the Vampire People Leave the Lobby? pg 79
Replaced_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:05 AM   #2869
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
Which is why my original question included the proviso that Trump is nuts so itís possible. Yes the question should be ridiculous, but it isnít because it is possible itís 4-4 right now see in re Pelican Brief.
I don't know what Gorsuch, Thomas, Roberts and Alito will say on the extent that the President needs to comply with an Executive Branch investigation into his conduct, but I don't know that I want to find out either.

In other words, yeah, there could be four other votes for a broader view of executive power to quash investigations than I'd like. Note that it's a popular argument among the conservative pundit-sphere.
Adder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:07 AM   #2870
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
Which is why my original question included the proviso that Trump is nuts so it’s possible. Yes the question should be ridiculous, but it isn’t because it is possible it’s 4-4 right now see in re Pelican Brief.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
Our Republic has been in trouble for a long time. That Kavanaugh is being selected in part for the reason you cite (which he is) isn't putting us in more trouble as much as merely confirming the trouble we've been in... and which we deny.
I really don't think I understand either of your attitudes.

Yes, our republic has moved from two somewhat reasonable parties to one which is completely unreasonable and one which seems powerless and unwilling to fight the erosion of democratic principles, effective government, integrity, and just plain old decency. But think about what you're saying. Trump is under investigation for colluding with an enemy of our country and for using the most powerful office in the world for personal profit (among other things, I'm sure). He has done everything he can to shut down that investigation and just chose a Supreme Court Justice because that person believes that the President is above the law.

The fact that Congress is even considering (for purely political reasons) this asshole for the highest court is evidence that we are in a place that not one of us could have imagined even ten years ago. Whether or not he is the deciding vote in whether or not the fucking President can be fucking indicted while in office (I mean, holy shit, people! How am I even writing this sentence?) is completely beside the point.

The Republican Party has completely destroyed any faith one could have in the government doing the actual right thing at all. They are destroying this country. A guy was nominated for Supreme Court because he doesn't believe the guy who nominated him, who is currently under investigation for serious, serious shit, can be held responsible for criminal acts, the Republicans are desperately trying to push him through before they get voted out and have hidden as much about him as they can, and you guys are shrugging. Jesus Christ.

TM

Last edited by ThurgreedMarshall; Today at 11:09 AM..
ThurgreedMarshall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:21 AM   #2871
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
The Emperor had a lot of Stormtroopers on the Death Star that Luke and Leia ha to fight through before they got to Vader.
Wait a minute. this sounds like you were cheering for the rebels to win?