LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 231
0 members and 231 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 09-06-2019, 04:37 PM   #3196
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Re: Doesn’t Matter Who Wins the K Race; We’re All the Same

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
Trump getting elected is the symptom. The underlying disease that led to that symptom is the thing that matters.

I thought Heer made that pretty clear.

If you think getting Trump out is the fix that cures all that or even most of what ails the country, I've a brid-- er, no... I've Greenland to sell you.
If you think anything at all can cure all or even most of what ails the country, well, all I can say is then you live in a magical world.

But not voting for Trump could mean not electing Trump. And that would be a thing.
Old 09-06-2019, 04:51 PM   #3197
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurgreedMarshall View Post
Yeah, it takes time to build a really great Scotch and bourbon list. It's not just the investment, a lot of the really good stuff isn't just available. You have to qualify, be the right kind of place, know the right people, etc. But we'll get there.
A restaurant around the corner from me (Parkers) cut a deal with a local liquor store that is known for its whisky (always ranked nationally in "Whisky" magazine). The restaurant co-hosts periodic "wine dinners" and "scotch dinners" with the liquor store when visitors from the distilleries and wineries come through. I don't know if they make much on the dinners, which are pretty reasonably priced, but it gets them on each distilleries list and they tend to have the rarities from any distillery that does a dinner for a year or so after. It's now the place I stop by to sample something every now and then.
Old 09-06-2019, 04:57 PM   #3198
Pretty Little Flower

Quote:
Yeah, it takes time to build a really great Scotch and bourbon list. It's not just the investment, a lot of the really good stuff isn't just available. You have to qualify, be the right kind of place, know the right people, etc. But we'll get there.
You know me, and I fucking love Scotch. I'm a bourbon fan, too. So, feel free to drop my name.

I am not sorry.
Old 09-06-2019, 05:04 PM   #3199
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
A restaurant around the corner from me (Parkers) cut a deal with a local liquor store that is known for its whisky (always ranked nationally in "Whisky" magazine). The restaurant co-hosts periodic "wine dinners" and "scotch dinners" with the liquor store when visitors from the distilleries and wineries come through. I don't know if they make much on the dinners, which are pretty reasonably priced, but it gets them on each distilleries list and they tend to have the rarities from any distillery that does a dinner for a year or so after. It's now the place I stop by to sample something every now and then.
I'll look into this. We actually have some lockers where we can feature some elite Scotches and those distilleries will throw parties there, which should get us where we need to be. But there's a lot going on right now, so it will take a bit of time. And the upcoming fall and holiday seasons for us, at our location, are going to be fucking insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretty Little Flower View Post
You know me, and I fucking love Scotch. I'm a bourbon fan, too. So, feel free to drop my name.
On the floor? Oh, wait. You mean, to actual people?

TM
Old 09-06-2019, 05:31 PM   #3200
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
I have.

Hillary wasn’t going to do any of those things except perhaps in regard to healthcare.

If I’m going to pay higher taxes, I want to see real efficient and effective change. I’m not voting for a corporate lackey who’ll just redistribute at the margins and dither as the country is hollowed out. I can get that, with a tax break, by voting Republican.
I think my reaction is much like GGG's, but let me try to put it differently. You have identified some fairly profound and systemic problems. I asked you for possible solutions, and you listed things that, generally, the Democratic Party might do and the GOP will not. If you really believe in your diagnosis of the problems and solutions, it's a little weird to say "but Hillary" or "fuck it, give me a tax break."
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 09-06-2019, 05:32 PM   #3201
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretty Little Flower View Post
Pretty sure Penske would be glad to help with the boxed wine.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 09-06-2019, 05:34 PM   #3202
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
On the floor? Oh, wait. You mean, to actual people?
". . . no, not F - L - O - U - R. It's Flower like the plant, F - L - O - W - E - R."
Old 09-06-2019, 06:10 PM   #3203
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
It's been 20 years. It's enough already with this business.

TM
Yes, time for you to start relaxing.

The menu looks amazing. Within a week I'll have to make the onion soup/Detroit pizza choice.
Old 09-06-2019, 06:12 PM   #3204
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
No one here is a Sanders fan and I try not to pay attention to him, so maybe I'm missing something, but I really don't see how he does better than he did last time. He got to be the lefty alternative to the establishment Dem candidate last time, by default, and there were always going to be Dems in favor of that. This time there are other choices, and he's four years older.
I know people that fucking love him, and went for Jill or stayed home. I hear that shit coming this time I. Will. Hit. them.

If I can just hit 10,000 people I think I can promise Michigan.
Old 09-06-2019, 06:17 PM   #3205
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
I think my reaction is much like GGG's, but let me try to put it differently. You have identified some fairly profound and systemic problems. I asked you for possible solutions, and you listed things that, generally, the Democratic Party might do and the GOP will not. If you really believe in your diagnosis of the problems and solutions, it's a little weird to say "but Hillary" or "fuck it, give me a tax break."
The analysis is simple.

I don’t wish to get the worst of both worlds: No significant change and higher taxes.

If I’m going to pay more, I want to know I’m getting something in return. With someone like Warren, I suspect we’d get bankruptcy reform and millennial loan relief (both probably) which I see creating a nice multiplier for the Main St economy. With Hillary, and perhaps Biden, it’s just increased taxes and no real attempt at significant change, because that change would harm their institutional and corporate benefactors.

I want a return on my investment. If I must pay more, I want policies that allow the little guy to climb the ladder. Subsistence safety nets provided to him via programs are just a way of placating him. No multiplier is created and he remains another of the hundred or so million debt serfs propping up the rentier economy.

I see no cash or societal value in an investment in a corporate Democrat.

Correction: The market does tend to do better under corporate Ds. But this a bit selfish, no? Because people who are floundering right now in the Main St economy aren’t invested.

Last edited by sebastian_dangerfield; 09-06-2019 at 06:22 PM..
Old 09-06-2019, 06:52 PM   #3206
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
". . . no, not F - L - O - U - R. It's Flower like the plant, F - L - O - W - E - R."
Last time I was in Minneapolis I jumped in a cab and said, "take me to where PLF usually eats." Guy pulled in to Deja Vu.

Last edited by Hank Chinaski; 09-06-2019 at 07:41 PM..
Old 09-07-2019, 02:19 PM   #3207
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
Third party voter in a nutshell. Zero understanding that you get the change you want by working in coalition within a party that entertains your ideas and values, not by opting out and allowing the one that does not to take power.
Old 09-07-2019, 04:28 PM   #3208
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
I know people that fucking love him, and went for Jill or stayed home. I hear that shit coming this time I. Will. Hit. them.

If I can just hit 10,000 people I think I can promise Michigan.
If you know a way to hit people and get them to vote for a Democrat, please let me know. That sounds both fun and useful.
Old 09-07-2019, 05:19 PM   #3209
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
Third party voter in a nutshell. Zero understanding that you get the change you want by working in coalition within a party that entertains your ideas and values, not by opting out and allowing the one that does not to take power.
Man, you’ve limitless naïveté.

That approach gets you slow played, pacified. You think corporate Dems want real change? They’re just playing the progressives while actually working against any meaningful change. Just like the old guard GOP used to placate the evangelicals with promises of overturning Roe while doing nothing to actually achieve that result (as it was political suicide) and appointing moderate judges who upheld it (Kennedy, Souter, O’Connor).

Real change only comes in the teeth of a catastrophe. If you want to see real radical change like the New Deal era policies, your best strategy would be to vote for Trump. He’s the most likely to preside over a terrible crisis.
Old 09-07-2019, 08:35 PM   #3210
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
Man, you’ve limitless naïveté.

That approach gets you slow played, pacified. You think corporate Dems want real change? They’re just playing the progressives while actually working against any meaningful change. Just like the old guard GOP used to placate the evangelicals with promises of overturning Roe while doing nothing to actually achieve that result (as it was political suicide) and appointing moderate judges who upheld it (Kennedy, Souter, O’Connor).

Real change only comes in the teeth of a catastrophe. If you want to see real radical change like the New Deal era policies, your best strategy would be to vote for Trump. He’s the most likely to preside over a terrible crisis.
The naïveté is yours. It allows you to believe that if you only vote for people you like, you’ll eventually win. It’s a view point that, strangely, ignores what you lose when what you don’t want wins.

Yeah, in your case, it’s because you don’t actually want what you say you want and instead use it as an excuse to instead vote for tax cuts for yourself. You’re not really covering your narcissism but keep trying.
Closed Thread