LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 379
0 members and 379 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 06:50 PM   #91
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Re: We are all Slave now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
We're supposed to be grateful that he left "San Francisco General" in the name.
can you like/not-like the name?
Old 04-03-2018, 07:07 PM   #92
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
can you like/not-like the name?
It's the only hospital in town, so you have to be OK with the fact that they share all of your medical information.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 04-04-2018, 12:16 AM   #93
Replaced_Texan
Random Syndicate (admin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital? Seriously?
My sister used to live across the street (back when it was just San Francisco General Hospital). One of her bikes lost its life to a driver who was trying to get himself there after being shot.
"In the olden days before the internet, you'd take this sort of person for a ride out into the woods and shoot them, as Darwin intended, before he could spawn."--Will the Vampire People Leave the Lobby? pg 79
Old 04-04-2018, 07:27 AM   #94
sebastian_dangerfield

Two authoritarian parties... https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...efused/556934/
Old 04-04-2018, 08:46 AM   #95
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
Is there any self-described "libertarian" who doesn't write with a nasally whine?
Old 04-04-2018, 09:44 AM   #96
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
Is there any self-described "libertarian" who doesn't write with a nasally whine?
I believe it's a consequence of knowing your ideology is flawed, and that the human condition is such that men will always seek to inflict their personal preferences regarding how they'd like people to behave upon other people. You get a little bitchy.

At its core, libertarian thinking comes down to "leave people alone to do as they will." But then, some people will engage in slavery, sex trafficking, murder, etc., so you can't really follow that rule. So that leads you to putting limits on what's acceptable and what's not. And once you do that, you can't really call yourself a pure libertarian anymore. You've now become someone picking and choosing what other men should and shouldn't be allowed to do.

Libertarians like to think of themselves as enlightened and liberated from the controlling mentalities of conservatism and liberalism. But if they think hard for thirty seconds, they realize they're just another fucked up ideology, an Option C not much unlike A and B.

This is why I have now embraced Anarchism. Say what you will, it's an abstractly defensible ethos.
Old 04-04-2018, 11:00 AM   #97
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
I believe it's a consequence of knowing your ideology is flawed, and that the human condition is such that men will always seek to inflict their personal preferences regarding how they'd like people to behave upon other people. You get a little bitchy.

At its core, libertarian thinking comes down to "leave people alone to do as they will." But then, some people will engage in slavery, sex trafficking, murder, etc., so you can't really follow that rule. So that leads you to putting limits on what's acceptable and what's not. And once you do that, you can't really call yourself a pure libertarian anymore. You've now become someone picking and choosing what other men should and shouldn't be allowed to do.

Libertarians like to think of themselves as enlightened and liberated from the controlling mentalities of conservatism and liberalism. But if they think hard for thirty seconds, they realize they're just another fucked up ideology, an Option C not much unlike A and B.

This is why I have now embraced Anarchism. Say what you will, it's an abstractly defensible ethos.
Usually, libertarianism is just the belief that you should be free to engage in your own forms of bigotry, but not subject to anyone else's.

Good luck with the Anarchism, it is indeed several steps up on the hierarchy of intellectual conceits.
Old 04-04-2018, 11:08 AM   #98
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
Usually, libertarianism is just the belief that you should be free to engage in your own forms of bigotry, but not subject to anyone else's.

Good luck with the Anarchism, it is indeed several steps up on the hierarchy of intellectual conceits.
Well, Dadaism generally squares up for me, but it's a lot of work. And I don't own turtlenecks, so Nihilism was out. Universal Agnosticism was interesting, but ultimately puts one in the Apathy camp. That's so '90s.

If Trump is the new Nixon, Anarchism seems the most likely ethos to re-emerge in the near future.
Old 04-04-2018, 11:12 AM   #99
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEC_Chick View Post
OTOH, people like Laura Ingraham know better, but still choose to ring the cash register instead.
I'm curious why you say so, as I recall her spewing vile homophobic and racist stuff long before Trump became politically relevant.

Last edited by Adder; 04-04-2018 at 11:20 AM..
Old 04-04-2018, 11:18 AM   #100
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
Shotguns are arguably deadlier at close range, but not semiautomatic.
I saw based on extensive video game experience: there are semi-auto shotguns.

But as you say, there are reasons these are not the primary weapons issues to our soldiers, and the more typical type of shotgun has non-human-killing uses.
Old 04-04-2018, 11:34 AM   #101
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
I'm curious why you say so, as I recall her spewing vile homophobic and racist stuff long before Trump became politically relevant.
IIRC, she had someone go to LGBT groups at Dartmouth in the 80s and then published the names of other people attending, outing them.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 04-04-2018, 12:33 PM   #102
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
IIRC, she had someone go to LGBT groups at Dartmouth in the 80s and then published the names of other people attending, outing them.
"The gays":

1. Predate "traditional marriage" by millennia;
2. Have been with us since there's been an "us;"
3. Are found in almost all mammals (i.e., are more "natural" than monogamy);
4. Have sought no societal change except their acceptance;
5. Historically did not tax the safety nets as much as excessively breeding hetero "traditional families;"
6. Often maintained the nicest and safest neighborhoods (frequently rehabbing previously bad neighborhoods); and,
7. Tended to support higher brow arts and cultural institutions.

How is fucking with these people conservative? I think even Buckley had a hard time with this, lazily personifying Vidal as representative of all gays, and otherwise using preposterous Catholic Doctrine to justify their marginalization.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:34 PM   #103
SEC_Chick
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
Fair point. I suppose it would be more accurate to say she is capable of doing better, if she were so inclined. Hannity, OTOH, simply isn't that bright.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:40 PM   #104
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Quote:
If the Democrats were more clever, they might offer the libertarians a better deal on trade, criminal justice, and civil liberties. Instead, they are dreaming up excuses to sue or jail people for their views on climate change, and the United States is for the moment left with two authoritarian populist parties and no political home for classical liberalism at all.
I like the way that Williamson waits until the very end to make it clear that no matter how libertarian he says he is, he is a conservative at heart. A whole litany of Republican offenses against libertarianism, but with one throwaway phrase, a hyperbolic overriding of a single op-ed, he manages to equate the two parties. No matter how bad the Republican Party gets on his issues, he's not willing to cross over.

You and Williamson share a pathological need to find some excuse to never admit that Democrats are better on important things you profess to care about.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:48 PM   #105
LessinSF
Wearing the cranky pants

this is how to deal with a grammar Timmy: