LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 243
0 members and 243 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 11:10 AM   #3691
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Re: Deneuve

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
Why do men want to control women? If we're to judge from history, including just by way of example, the sex slavery trade that still exists today and #metoo, it seems men want to compel women to have sex with them. (Yes, there are other reasons, but sex seems the majority one.) Has it never occurred to these control freaks that this exact effort, with all of its Victorian/Puritan/Fundamentalist underpinnings, is what causes women not to have sex with them?
My cynical and not terribly informed take, being a heathen with no faith, is that it's comes from a pretty straight forward means of establishing control over a mass of people. People, being animals, have an evolutionarily-driven desire to fuck. It may be one of the only truly universal (yes, I see you asexual community, bear with me) human impulses, at least that's not part of the "keep you alive" processes. What better way to convince the maximum number of people that they are bad than to demonize their natural impulses. See, you are a sinner and you need the teaching of my faith.

It's a short step from you're a sinner because of your desire to that other person is an even worse sinner, or worse, is a temptress leading you astray.

So, yeah, a big scheme of control to get butts in seats is my sophisticated theory that also craps on all of your faiths. Because I'm a nice guy.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:17 AM   #3692
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretty Little Flower View Post
whatever the fuck his other great ideas supposedly are? I don't buy it.
He was going to make things better for white working class "victims" of trade and immigration...
Old 01-12-2018, 11:17 AM   #3693
Replaced_Texan
Random Syndicate (admin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
Why doesn't Trump just own his racism? Why does he feel a need to hide it?
I think it goes back to the J Smooth thing about the fight over whether someone is a racist overwhelms the actual racist thing that he or she said/did. For most people, being labeled a racist is one of the worst things one could be tagged with. So they fight the hypo with every ounce of their being, dragging out their black "friends," saying like they always hire latinx because they're hard workers, or mentioning that the Vietnamese (he's Korean, but really he's just from Jersey) guy on the train always laughs at his jokes. And then they start parsing, like they did this morning, saying well, even if I did say horribly offensive and racist thing, it really wasn't racist.

I'd love someone to really drag out that particular argument, because I'm pretty sure that he thinks West Virginia and North Dakota are shitholes too, and most of the rural towns that voted for him all across the country.
"In the olden days before the internet, you'd take this sort of person for a ride out into the woods and shoot them, as Darwin intended, before he could spawn."--Will the Vampire People Leave the Lobby? pg 79
Old 01-12-2018, 01:46 PM   #3694
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
When you say that you don't think we should allow people from shithole countries (all the countries where black people live) into the U.S, and instead suggest that we should let more people in from Norway (where no black people live), I'm not sure it is accurate to say that you are "hiding" your racism. It's like hiding an elephant behind a dandelion. You can point to the dandelion all you want, but everybody sees the elephant.
Right. My question is, why even try pointing to the dandelion? Why not just own the elephant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replaced_Texan View Post
I think it goes back to the J Smooth thing about the fight over whether someone is a racist overwhelms the actual racist thing that he or she said/did. For most people, being labeled a racist is one of the worst things one could be tagged with. So they fight the hypo with every ounce of their being, dragging out their black "friends," saying like they always hire latinx because they're hard workers, or mentioning that the Vietnamese (he's Korean, but really he's just from Jersey) guy on the train always laughs at his jokes. And then they start parsing, like they did this morning, saying well, even if I did say horribly offensive and racist thing, it really wasn't racist.
I think that's try for most people, but most people don't thrive so much on asserting their own dominance as he does. For Trump, I really don't think that being labeled a racist is one of the worst things he could be tagged with, far from it. There are things (germs, losing, etc.) that viscerally bother him. I don't think being called a racist is one of them. And he delights in disregarding elite opinion on some many other topics.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar

Last edited by Tyrone Slothrop; 01-12-2018 at 02:03 PM..
Old 01-12-2018, 02:11 PM   #3695
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
Right. My question is, why even try pointing to the dandelion? Why not just own the elephant?

I think that's try for most people, but most people don't thrive so much on asserting their own dominance as he does. For Trump, I really don't think that being labeled a racist is one of the worst things he could be tagged with, far from it. There are things (germs, losing, etc.) that viscerally bother him. I don't think being called a racist is one of them. And he delights in disregarding elite opinion on some many other topics.
Just an observation, you are posting more and more typos. Is everything okay? We are worried.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:22 PM   #3696
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Just an observation, you are posting more and more typos. Is everything okay? We are worried.
I've been drinking less. Perhaps that's the problem.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 01-12-2018, 02:28 PM   #3697
SEC_Chick
I am beyond a rank!

Re: Mother, mother, mother - there's too many of you crying.

What kills me about Trump is the damage he is doing to a core conservative message. Some of the countries may be s***holes. But the implication that the people there are anything other than victims of corrupt regimes (and in some cases those corrupt regimes are aided by the US at the expense of their people) and are thus s***hole people runs counter to the principle of the equality of human dignity, and is also counter to the principle of the limitlessness of human potential. You can make a conservative case for merit based immigration, but the whole point of it is that you then look at the individuals for who they are, not where they come from.

I might have been amused by the fact that the MAGA cult members spent yesterday defending the comment, when they were supposed to run the fake news route, but the debasement of core conservative principles makes me sad.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:31 PM   #3698
Did you just call me Coltrane?

Quote:
I've been drinking less. Perhaps that's the problem.
I'm only drinking on Friday/Saturday nights for the entire month of January and it's the worst decision ever made. EVER. Even worse than that one time I agreed to meet Thurgreed for coffee.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:57 PM   #3699
Pretty Little Flower

Quote:
Because elephants are fat and he is self conscious about his body after all the golf photos?

I am not sorry.
Old 01-12-2018, 04:26 PM   #3700
Pretty Little Flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Did you just call me Coltrane? View Post
I'm only drinking on Friday/Saturday nights for the entire month of January and it's the worst decision ever made. EVER. Even worse than that one time I agreed to meet Thurgreed for coffee.
Dissent. You can drink your ass off in February and your January abstinence will be a hazy memory. But you can NEVER undo that coffee date.

I am not sorry.
Old 01-12-2018, 04:35 PM   #3701
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEC_Chick View Post
What kills me about Trump is the damage he is doing to a core conservative message. Some of the countries may be s***holes. But the implication that the people there are anything other than victims of corrupt regimes (and in some cases those corrupt regimes are aided by the US at the expense of their people) and are thus s***hole people runs counter to the principle of the equality of human dignity, and is also counter to the principle of the limitlessness of human potential. You can make a conservative case for merit based immigration, but the whole point of it is that you then look at the individuals for who they are, not where they come from.

I might have been amused by the fact that the MAGA cult members spent yesterday defending the comment, when they were supposed to run the fake news route, but the debasement of core conservative principles makes me sad.
I think commitment to the equality of human dignity and the limitlessness of human potential is excellent, and more power to people who believe in those things, but they're going to need to find a new brand for it, because "conservative" is now being used by a lot of people who don't share those commitments and are pretty committed to other things instead.
Old 01-12-2018, 04:52 PM   #3702
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
Dissent. You can drink your ass off in February and your January abstinence will be a hazy memory. But you can NEVER undo that coffee date.
I only know Thurgreed from basketball. He wants to take EVERY SHOT, literally! I can't imagine have espresso with him, or being in a bar.
Old 01-12-2018, 04:53 PM   #3703
SEC_Chick
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
I think commitment to the equality of human dignity and the limitlessness of human potential is excellent, and more power to people who believe in those things, but they're going to need to find a new brand for it, because "conservative" is now being used by a lot of people who don't share those commitments and are pretty committed to other things instead.
I know.

Conservatism was always the subset of the Republican party with which I most identified. When Trump came along the #NeverTrumpers were generally the ideological conservatives, and we all stopped identifying as Republican. Now the label of conservatism is soiled as well, generally by people who don't even understand the difference. There are now some references to affiliation with "traditional ideological conservatism" to distinguish it from Trumpism, but the label issue hasn't been resolved. I hate that Trump has now painted conservatives with the exact same brush of identity politics I have always abhorred on the left.
Old 01-12-2018, 05:17 PM   #3704
Did you just call me Coltrane?

Quote:
He called me fat.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:08 PM   #3705
Pretty Little Flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Did you just call me Coltrane? View Post
He called me fat.
That will haunt you well after you have forgotten that you even embarked upon your ill-advised January partial-teatotalling experiment.

I am not sorry.
Closed Thread