LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 65
0 members and 65 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Old 10-20-2017, 10:41 AM   #2476
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Re: Chris Hedges

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
Deflation.
No, you're not. Perhaps in a colloquial sense, but not as used in monetary economics. Not even in any of the quirky, out of the mainstream schools that I'm aware of.
Adder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 10:53 AM   #2477
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Re: Chris Hedges

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
But you still haven't addressed the tax issue.
Which tax issue? One of Amazon's early advantages was not charging sales tax when it didn't literally have to. I'm pretty sure that's largely gone away (it has here in Minnesota, where it's now required to charge sales tax) as its physical footprint has expanded to pretty much every state. And as states have adopted sales and use taxes intended to apply to it, I think it's mostly acquiesced rather than tried to challenge them (again, that might just be the expanding physical presence).

Is there some other tax issue you're thinking of?

Quote:
Amazon removes massive amounts of jobs
Well, it also employs a lot of people and, as we've discussed ad-naseum we're not seeing huge spikes in joblessness (last measured prime age employment to population ratio is less than half a percentage point below the pre-recession peak EDIT: Correction, point and a half. Read the chart wrong. Point being, there's slack but it's not it's not "massive").

Quote:
taxable events by gobbling up market share
You used to buy toilet paper at Target. Taxable event. You now buy toilet paper from Amazon. Taxable event. What about it taking retail market share reduces taxable events?

Quote:
I don't know what the solution would be, as this cannot be tackled by merely raising taxes on the affluent, or anyone else.
It's amazing that you think of everything except all of the various tax cuts of the last two decades as reducing tax revenue.

Quote:
I think at a minimum, Wal Mart should be hit with a tax in the exact amount of transfer costs provided to its employees because the company refuses to pay anything close to a living wage.
Or just raise the minimum wage.

Last edited by Adder; 10-20-2017 at 11:00 AM.
Adder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 11:11 AM   #2478
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Re: Mother, mother, mother - there's too many of you crying.

"Shake your head at rap music all you like: When’s the last time you heard a popular country song about finishing up your master’s in engineering at MIT?"

National Review (!)
Old 10-20-2017, 08:18 PM   #2479
SEC_Chick
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
"Shake your head at rap music all you like: When’s the last time you heard a popular country song about finishing up your master’s in engineering at MIT?"

National Review (!)
Kevin Williamson has long been one of my favorite Twitter follows. He’s not an insignificant part of why the National Review is my favorite conservative publication.
SEC_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:24 PM   #2480
Icky Thump

I don't understand

Why the R's don't just suggest killing or enslaving the middle class. It will be better for the middle class, believe me.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/20/u...T.nav=top-news
Old Yesterday, 10:06 PM   #2481
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEC_Chick View Post
Kevin Williamson has long been one of my favorite Twitter follows. He’s not an insignificant part of why the National Review is my favorite conservative publication.
Did you understand the (apparently gratuitous) dig at Elizabeth Breunig? I didn't have any idea who she was, or why he took that shot at her.
Old Today, 10:25 AM   #2482
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEC_Chick View Post
He may or may not have said something interesting there; I wonder, by which I mean, I wonder.

It appears he has some interesting points buried within the equivocation. Most of them appear to be derived from the European neo-Marxist cultural critics of the 70s and 80s. But I do like the question as to whether Bill Bennett can tap dance, though I'd rather see him Samba.

Last edited by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy; Today at 10:31 AM.
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy is offline   Reply With Quote