LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 211
1 members and 210 guests
Replaced_Texan
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 02:15 PM   #1591
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Re: Doesn’t Matter Who Wins the K Race; We’re All the Same

So much this.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 05-01-2019, 02:18 PM   #1592
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
I'm still not sure he did anything wrong. Mueller's letter is unclear as he has not fleshed out what he means by confusion.

I think Mueller's letter is intentionally neutral. Confused and misled are two very different things. I'd like to see Mueller's summary. That should resolve things.
Do you really believe any of this, or is it just your contrarian pose here? If you were talking to a bunch of conservatives and they told you how awesome Barr is, wouldn't you want to say, yeah, didn't he kinda shit his credibility by misrepresenting what Mueller said?
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 05-01-2019, 03:11 PM   #1593
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
Yup. Warren is the one setting the agenda and driving party policy. Let's just vote for her.
Old 05-01-2019, 04:02 PM   #1594
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Kamala Harris just taught a Master Class in how to question a witness in the Senate. The other Dems were pretty good as well. I can't wait to see debates.
Old 05-01-2019, 04:17 PM   #1595
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
Yup. Warren is the one setting the agenda and driving party policy. Let's just vote for her.
Setting the agenda and driving policy is a great thing for a Senator to do, but it's not the most important thing for a President.
Old 05-01-2019, 04:47 PM   #1596
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Setting the agenda and driving policy is a great thing for a Senator to do, but it's not the most important thing for a President.
Still, it's great seeing candidates run on their strengths rather than attacking others.

I've said from the beginning not to underestimate Warren. I have a number of disagreements with almost every plan she comes up with, as well as places I agree, but I'm really glad for the focus on substance.
Old 05-01-2019, 05:01 PM   #1597
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
Still, it's great seeing candidates run on their strengths rather than attacking others.

I've said from the beginning not to underestimate Warren. I have a number of disagreements with almost every plan she comes up with, as well as places I agree, but I'm really glad for the focus on substance.
I love what she's doing, even when I don't agree. If another candidate turn out to run better, her work sets the agenda nonetheless, and that is valuable.
Old 05-01-2019, 05:12 PM   #1598
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
I love what she's doing, even when I don't agree. If another candidate turn out to run better, her work sets the agenda nonetheless, and that is valuable.
We're likely just vigorously agreeing, but I think it does more than set the agenda. It says we're going to focus on substance and policy, and on the real world and the problems it presents. I can't think of anyone more focused on reality right now.
Old 05-01-2019, 06:03 PM   #1599
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
We're likely just vigorously agreeing, but I think it does more than set the agenda. It says we're going to focus on substance and policy, and on the real world and the problems it presents. I can't think of anyone more focused on reality right now.
Hillary was very focused on the real world and the problems it presents, and she was unable to sell her substance and policy in a way that motivated her supporters to turn out or the undecided to vote for her. Warren's focus on substance and policy is awesome for governing, but you don't get to govern unless you are good at persuading people to support you.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:32 PM   #1600
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Do you really believe any of this, or is it just your contrarian pose here? If you were talking to a bunch of conservatives and they told you how awesome Barr is, wouldn't you want to say, yeah, didn't he kinda shit his credibility by misrepresenting what Mueller said?
BTW, here is the reality the rest of us aren't ignoring:

Quote:
Mr. Barr ... hid Mr. Mueller’s complaints, which were delivered to him in writing more than a month ago, even when Congress asked in a previous hearing about complaints by members of the special counsel's team. And the four-page letter that Mr. Barr issued in March and supposedly described the Mueller report omitted the two key factors driving the special counsel’s decision (which were hard to miss, as they were on the first two pages of the report’s volume about obstruction): First, that he could not indict a sitting president, so it would be unfair to accuse Mr. Trump of crimes even if he were guilty as sin; and second, Mr. Mueller could and would clear a sitting president, but he did not believe the facts cleared the president.
Neal Katyal in the NYT
Old 05-01-2019, 07:47 PM   #1601
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:

Neal Katyal in the NYT
Your new sig line doesn’t fit you, instead it simply apes the theme I tried to set through the W years. Your conceit is you are above us- own it, even in all its absurdity.

Last edited by Hank Chinaski; 05-01-2019 at 08:50 PM..
Old 05-01-2019, 08:53 PM   #1602
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Who is ignoring this? See below.

Quote:
Mr. Barr ... hid Mr. Mueller’s complaints, which were delivered to him in writing more than a month ago, even when Congress asked in a previous hearing about complaints by members of the special counsel's team.
Yup. He did that.

Quote:
And the four-page letter that Mr. Barr issued in March and supposedly described the Mueller report omitted the two key factors driving the special counsel’s decision (which were hard to miss, as they were on the first two pages of the report’s volume about obstruction): First, that he could not indict a sitting president, so it would be unfair to accuse Mr. Trump of crimes even if he were guilty as sin; and second, Mr. Mueller could and would clear a sitting president, but he did not believe the facts cleared the president.
First, we knew already that Mueller would not indict a sitting President. Second, Barr's letter said exactly what this reporter has written. Barr said Mueller could clear a sitting President, but could not do so here. The only difference was Mueller said he could exonerate Trump, rather than clear him. Perhaps this reporter should consult a Thesaurus?

Sorry, but this one-two punch is old news. The only thing it highlights is the low bar to working as a reporter these days.

Last edited by sebastian_dangerfield; 05-01-2019 at 09:03 PM..
Old 05-01-2019, 08:59 PM   #1603
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:

We agree on Warren. (Which disturbs me a bit, as I fear the excesses may now have truly rotted my brain.) She's forgotten more about bankruptcy and consumer lending than half of Congress will ever know. I disagree with her on several things, but one must respect Warren. She has a grasp of finance and banking most of the rest of the people in the Democratic Candidate Clown Car couldn't hope to even approach.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:05 PM   #1604
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
I cornered some conservatives in DC about Barr being a half hack last week. They know it.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:45 AM   #1605
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
I don't think I could disagree more strongly. It's exactly what a President should be doing.

I'll grant, however, that it is not the necessarily the most important thing for a presidential candidate to do. At the moment, though, it is a way for her to get earned media she badly needs, it is a lane that works for her and she's actually really good at making policy personal when she gets a chance to talk about it. I think she can use policy as a means to connect with people, which is what matters most.

Last edited by Adder; 05-02-2019 at 10:53 AM..
Closed Thread