LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > The Fashionable

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 409
0 members and 409 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Old 04-26-2016, 05:39 PM   #1726
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)

Re: Ouch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
You think there are few concussions in wrestling?
Fake concussions, sure.
Old 04-26-2016, 06:24 PM   #1727
Sidd Finch
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
I can't figure out who in their right mind is going to let their kids play football anymore anyways given what we know about concussion injury now. Maybe the WWE doesn't look so bad.
Whoever would have thought that the UFC looks safe now, compared to a major sport.
Old 04-26-2016, 08:42 PM   #1728
Sidd@60
No Rank For You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidd Finch View Post
Whoever would have thought that the UFC looks safe now, compared to a major sport.
this was my wisest post to this date, I know now that Hank would have kicked my ass if we did a UFC fight, but I would have been knocked out quickly. If i lined up across from him in football for a game full of plays the repetitive beatings would have been too much. Better the quick UFC loss.
Sidd@60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 09:18 PM   #1729
Borat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidd@60 View Post
this was my wisest post to this date, I know now that Hank would have kicked my ass if we did a UFC fight, but I would have been knocked out quickly. If i lined up across from him in football for a game full of plays the repetitive beatings would have been too much. Better the quick UFC loss.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 09:28 PM   #1730
Ty@50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
I for one enjoy this new sock, it is original. Can you remind me why anyone ever thought a Borat sock meant anything? Even in the future it makes no sense.
Old 04-27-2016, 07:40 AM   #1731
Icky Thump

Re: No Faith in the Moral Standards of the Players as a Group

Sorry, lingering effects of the concussion.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:55 AM   #1733
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

QuestLove on Prince

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...0160425?page=3

Good read.

TM
ThurgreedMarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 03:22 PM   #1734
Not Bob

Am I black or white, am I straight or gay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmdiva View Post
I loved both Prince and Bowie, and listened to both lots in HS. Prince's death has hit me harder, I think mostly because he was younger. Also, although Bowie was actively recording during my HS years, his most ground-breaking work was recorded in the 1970s. 1999 and Purple Rain were right smack in the middle of HS for me. While the "edgy" theater kids were listening to a lot of (old, pre-MTV) Bowie on their own time, Prince was the soundtrack for school dances, cruising around listening to the radio, etc., and was therefore more of a collective experience.

tm
Bingo, tm (and hi!) - that is exactly my take. The Bowie new releases I heard in my early to mid teens were from his avant garde Berlin/kicking heroin phase ("we know Major Tom's a junkie") and the suit-wearing crooner of "Let's Dance." Some really good songs, but not quite as important as the Ziggy/Aladdin stuff from a decade earlier.

In contrast, when the Punk Rock Girl played "Controversy" for me for the first time, and we cruised around Podunkville in her dad's RX-7 with "Sexuality" blaring from the tape deck, I felt like that British dude in the 1920s who caught the first glimpse of King Tut's tomb.

And GGG, Prince may sound like pop to you, but that's only because "Controversy," "1999," and "Purple Rain" had a radical impact on 1980s pop music. I can assure you that while there were some very good pop songs in 1979, they were very different from most pop in say 1988. (Yes, let's not forget Michael Jackson, but still.)
Not Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 03:39 PM   #1735
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Re: Am I black or white, am I straight or gay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Bob View Post

In contrast, when the Punk Rock Girl played "Controversy" for me for the first time, and we cruised around Podunkville in her dad's RX-7 with "Sexuality"
If only you had known to hear it as "Count your pussy." Then, you might have been so crazed you'd have been emboldened to close the deal?

Last edited by Hank Chinaski; 04-28-2016 at 03:41 PM..
Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 07:28 PM   #1737
Not Bob's Id

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
If only you had known to hear it as "Count your pussy." Then, you might have been so crazed you'd have been emboldened to close the deal?
Tell me about it. I really could have used your help in 1981, Hank. That boy just didn't understand much of anything.
Not Bob's Id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 11:01 AM   #1738
Sidd Finch
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
Bingo, tm (and hi!) - that is exactly my take. The Bowie new releases I heard in my early to mid teens were from his avant garde Berlin/kicking heroin phase ("we know Major Tom's a junkie") and the suit-wearing crooner of "Let's Dance." Some really good songs, but not quite as important as the Ziggy/Aladdin stuff from a decade earlier.

In contrast, when the Punk Rock Girl played "Controversy" for me for the first time, and we cruised around Podunkville in her dad's RX-7 with "Sexuality" blaring from the tape deck, I felt like that British dude in the 1920s who caught the first glimpse of King Tut's tomb.

And GGG, Prince may sound like pop to you, but that's only because "Controversy," "1999," and "Purple Rain" had a radical impact on 1980s pop music. I can assure you that while there were some very good pop songs in 1979, they were very different from most pop in say 1988. (Yes, let's not forget Michael Jackson, but still.)

So now the standard for "influence" is "it gave Not Bob a hard-on."

I think this is a perfectly valid standard -- as good as any other -- but would be more impressed by any music that had that effect in recent years.
Old 05-01-2016, 02:32 PM   #1739
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

here kitty kitty kitty

FYI to RT and all eagle cam watchers- they give the "gross shit can happen" warning for a reason. Otherwise do not look at Pittsburgh eagle cam. YWIA
Old 05-02-2016, 08:55 AM   #1740
taxwonk
Wild Rumpus Facilitator

Quote:

This rhubarb over who is the more important dead musician of our lifetime (read adolescence) packs all the passion and pathos of the "who is the greatest Beatle" wars of the 60s and 70s.