LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > Regional Forums > Texas

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 421
0 members and 421 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Old 05-17-2003, 09:29 AM   #31
evenodds
prodigal poster

New Texas Job Listing on Jobs Board

There is a Texas jobs board on this site. Here is a new posting:

http://www.lawtalkers.com/forums/sho...0354#post10354
evenodds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 02:47 PM   #32
TexLex

For anyone who's been following this story: Man Who Used Stun Gun on Children Sent to Prison

I love how the jurors all wanted to try the stun gun out on each other before sentencing.

-TL
Old 05-20-2003, 03:08 PM   #33
TexLex

Someone actually tried to submit a settlement offer (from my client) as evidence of (my client's) liability this morning. WTF? I am still in shock. On the plus side, the judge looked at her like she had monkeys flying out of her butt when she tried to explain her way past my objection.

-T(just had to vent and no one else is here)L :smack:
Old 05-20-2003, 03:13 PM   #34
boobjob
No Rank For You!

Quote:
Originally posted by TexLex
Someone actually tried to submit a settlement offer (from my client) as evidence of (my client's) liability this morning. WTF? I am still in shock. On the plus side, the judge looked at her like she had monkeys flying out of her butt when she tried to explain her way past my objection.

-T(just had to vent and no one else is here)L :smack:
Did this happen in front of a jury? If so, did you move for a mistrial?
boobjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 03:53 PM   #35
TexLex

No - little (very little) bench trial. And she didn't get the letter in front of the judge before I pitched a fit, so he didn't actually see it.

My client thinks I am some sort of a legal genius, though (I've never had a small business client not love me yelling out "objection!" - they are very easily impressed in this regard).

I have a jury trial in a few weeks against a smart but nutso Pro Se (no kidding) Plaintiff and am preparing for all contingencies. I'm sure it will be amusing, if nothing else - I half expect the Plaintiff to ask emself questions and then turn around and answer them.

-T(Can I take a nap now?)L
Old 05-23-2003, 04:21 PM   #36
TexLex

Hidalgo County

Is anyone or does anyone know an attorney in Hidalgo county, TX with a state court practice? If so, please PM me - I have questions about a court.

TIA,

-TL

p.s. Have a great holiday weekend (assuming you all get to leave the office)!
Old 05-27-2003, 06:15 PM   #37
evenodds
prodigal poster

Austin

From the Onion:

Old 05-28-2003, 01:45 AM   #38
Bart_CL3

Quote:
Please tell us how she tried to explain. Please!
Old 05-28-2003, 02:32 PM   #39
TexLex

Not very convincingly. She basically said it should be admissible and kept a straight face while saying so.

So no one knows anything about Hidalgo County?

-TL
Old 05-28-2003, 06:34 PM   #40
Shape Shifter
World Ruler

Texas Justice

Gotta love it.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/front/1928616
Old 05-28-2003, 11:13 PM   #41
Bart_CL3

Texas Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Shape Shifter
Gotta love it.

Just so you know, Bartie does not equal Bart_CL3.
Old 05-29-2003, 10:08 PM   #42
TexLex

Whoooohoooo!!!

All my bills are printed, stuffed, and stamped - and it's not even the last of the month!

T(had to tell someone since no one is here but me.)L
Old 05-29-2003, 10:10 PM   #43
TexLex

Texas Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Shape Shifter
Gotta love it.
Oh good lord - how embarrassing.

-TL
Old 05-30-2003, 05:01 PM   #44
busyguy7447

Quote:
For anyone who's been following this story: Man Who Used Stun Gun on Children Sent to Prison

I love how the jurors all wanted to try the stun gun out on each other before sentencing.

-TL
I live in Angleton, and believe me, it's like a whole other nation. My wife and I both work in Houston and we moved there because the housing market is really excellent compared to Houston. There sure are a lot of hicks there though. I think they use stun guns on 'em in the hospital when they're newborns or something.
Old 06-02-2003, 10:57 AM   #45
evenodds
prodigal poster

Metroplex DAs Focus on Corporate Crime

Interesting article from the Dallas Business Journal:

White-collar crackdown
More and more local DAs take on corporate crime

William Hoffman
Staff Writer

GREATER METROPLEX -- As federal prosecutors shift their focus and resources to the new frontiers of homeland security, local prosecutors are increasingly picking up corporate fraud and white-collar crime cases the feds leave behind.

Collin County criminal district attorney John Roach, in office since Jan. 1, has added a criminal section to his office's special crimes division, partly in response to the feds' new priorities and partly due to rapid county growth.

Since 1999 Dallas County has experienced an uninterrupted rise in the number of corporate and white-collar crime cases handled by its specialized crime division, according to Brian Flood, the division's chief in the Dallas County District Attorney's office.

And the Denton County District Attorney's office now hosts three certified fraud investigators -- often called on by the Secret Service and other locally based federal law enforcement agencies -- and one of just 180 certified computer forensic analysts in the world, according to first assistant criminal district attorney Lee Ann Breading.

"I think the local district attorneys offices and (federal) agency offices and state attorneys general will do more of the white-collar crime and fraud cases that used to come out of the U.S. Attorneys' offices," said former assistant U.S. Attorney John Teakell, now an attorney at Dallas-based Milner & Finn.

Teakell said the shift of white-collar crime and corporate fraud prosecutions from federal U.S. Attorney's offices to county district attorneys might improve a convicted individual's chances of probation from state courts compared with federal courts, where sentencing guidelines and mandatory minimums limit judges' discretion.

Full text: http://www.bizjournals.com/industrie...3.html?f=et153