LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > Miscellaneous > Vacations

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 279
0 members and 279 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Old 10-28-2003, 08:18 PM   #46
notcasesensitive
Flaired.

While you are at it.

Quote:
Originally posted by Watchtower
I also have some vacation coming up. I am a bit of a history buff, something my family is willing to put up with and sometimes even enjoy. I was thinking of a "civil rights tour" of the south.

Any other ideas? Anyplace I should include in the journey?

Thanks!
I've heard good things about the MLK memorials in Atlanta. That might be on your list already... I haven't spent much time in the southeast, and I'm afraid Dallas doesn't have much to offer, so maybe some people from the south can chime in...
notcasesensitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 08:42 PM   #47
evenodds
prodigal poster

While you are at it.

Quote:
Originally posted by notcasesensitive
I've heard good things about the MLK memorials in Atlanta. That might be on your list already... I haven't spent much time in the southeast, and I'm afraid Dallas doesn't have much to offer, so maybe some people from the south can chime in...
MLK is an absolute must. It's incredibly moving. Plus you should check out Ebenezer Baptist. There was a PBS program on this summer about a group doing a march through all these civil rights places. I cannot remember the name and the OM is no help, but you might want to check that out for locations as well.
Old 10-29-2003, 08:00 AM   #48
Penske_Account
WacKtose Intolerant

got vacations

Quote:
And people other than Penske's socks are also welcome to post. The more the merrier, and etc.
I think you heart my socks.

Quote:
People do still take vacations, don't they? If your slavedriver boss does not allow vacations, feel free to discuss the hypothetical vacation that you might take once you quit that hellhole.

Carry on.
I'd go to Texas for lunch.

Penske_Account is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 08:03 AM   #49
Penske_Account
WacKtose Intolerant

got vacations

Quote:
Originally posted by ltl/fb
Where's a good (but not way expensive) beach place for Nov/Dec? Ocean w/waves required. I like the sound.
I have a week's rental of a beach house on the Oregon shore. I can use it anytime between now and next August. I can sublet it to you if the price is right. You can probably get Olliver Wendall Ramone to meet you and provide cabana boy services. If that's an added enticement. NTTAWWT.

Penske_Account is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 10:34 AM   #50
Austintatious
Moving on up

got vacations

Quote:
Originally posted by ltl/fb
Where's a good (but not way expensive) beach place for Nov/Dec? Ocean w/waves required. I like the sound.
Go to Playa del Carmen and stay at the Blue Parrot: http://www.blueparrot.com/

You can get a room right on the beach for $75 a night.
Austintatious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 11:34 AM   #51
Replaced_Texan
Random Syndicate (admin)

got vacations

Quote:
Originally posted by Austintatious

I like this small resort, half-way between Playa del Carmen and Tulum called Akumal. Three half-moon bays, water so clear you can see the dirt under your toenails, a coral reef and a lagoon. And a fantasitc beach-bar.
"In the olden days before the internet, you'd take this sort of person for a ride out into the woods and shoot them, as Darwin intended, before he could spawn."--Will the Vampire People Leave the Lobby? pg 79
Replaced_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 12:08 PM   #52
Did you just call me Coltrane?

got vacations

Quote:
Originally posted by Austintatious

$75 for a "Palapa". What exactly is that and how "rustic" are they?
Old 10-29-2003, 01:48 PM   #53
ltl/fb

got vacations

Quote:
Originally posted by Penske_Account
I have a week's rental of a beach house on the Oregon shore. I can use it anytime between now and next August. I can sublet it to you if the price is right. You can probably get Olliver Wendall Ramone to meet you and provide cabana boy services. If that's an added enticement. NTTAWWT.
Oregon shore? I think the sun will be too blinding for me in Nov/Dec there. Too bad, because I would have been getting some money back from you after I overpaid for the sublet by agreeing to have lunch with you. Oh well.
ltl/fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 04:06 PM   #54
notcasesensitive
Flaired.

got vacations

Quote:
Originally posted by Replaced_Texan
I like this small resort, half-way between Playa del Carmen and Tulum called Akumal. Three half-moon bays, water so clear you can see the dirt under your toenails, a coral reef and a lagoon. And a fantasitc beach-bar.
just don't go to el dorado (in the strip of resorts south of playa del carmen) unless you are prepared for the nudist vacation group to be sharing the place with you. I went with some friends pre-nudist vacation destination selection. it was kind of rundown (my friends had been before and had selected it as the destination). then came the nudists.*

*to avoid confusion (SD) I have nothing against nudists; in fact I think they are the gayest! other than the odd reverse natural selection that causes all the people who shouldn't really be disrobing in public to become nudists. weird that.**

**if this saying hasn't been claimed, I may take it as my own.
Old 10-29-2003, 04:11 PM   #55
Replaced_Texan
Random Syndicate (admin)

got vacations

Quote:
Originally posted by Did you just call me Coltrane?
$75 for a "Palapa". What exactly is that and how "rustic" are they?
Depends. A palapa is one of those thatched roof huts. They can vary from a little more than a tent, to really, really nice.
"In the olden days before the internet, you'd take this sort of person for a ride out into the woods and shoot them, as Darwin intended, before he could spawn."--Will the Vampire People Leave the Lobby? pg 79
Old 10-29-2003, 04:20 PM   #56
TexLex

got vacations

Quote:
If your slavedriver boss does not allow vacations, feel free to discuss the hypothetical vacation that you might take once you quit that hellhole.
I am my own slavedriver boss. OK - more like lazy slug boss, but anyway... We had a long-planned vacation to Alaska in Sept., but it got nixed by more important things. Maybe next year. Until then, I will have to settle for lunch in Texas (which isn't nearly as exciting as it sounds). - TL
Old 10-29-2003, 04:24 PM   #57
Replaced_Texan
Random Syndicate (admin)

got vacations

Quote:
Originally posted by TexLex
Until then, I will have to settle for lunch in Texas (which isn't nearly as exciting as it sounds). - TL
Me too. In fact, I may do lunch in Texas tomorrow, just to see what it's like. I'll report back afterwards.
Old 10-30-2003, 09:54 AM   #58
MetesAndBounds

Geneva/Paris/London - hotel recommendations?

The family is taking its first-ever trip to Europe in November over the holidays, and after reading guidebooks we remain clueless about what to expect. Sure we want to experience the culture in each city, but there is pressure to find an American-style hotel where we can retreat to when we have determined the French are too French and the Brits are too British. (The Mrs. isn't keen on sharing bathrooms, the Jr. would prefer cable TV, and all I really need is cold Diet Coke.)

So, the goal would be an American-style hotel in a great location central to the things an American tourist family would want to do on its first visit. Geneva is less important (only one night) but Paris and London will require several night stays each, so we'd like to be as comfortable as possible without totally blowing the budget.

Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-30-2003, 10:50 AM   #59
notcasesensitive
Flaired.

Quote:
Originally posted by MetesAndBounds
The family is taking its first-ever trip to Europe in November over the holidays, and after reading guidebooks we remain clueless about what to expect. Sure we want to experience the culture in each city, but there is pressure to find an American-style hotel where we can retreat to when we have determined the French are too French and the Brits are too British. (The Mrs. isn't keen on sharing bathrooms, the Jr. would prefer cable TV, and all I really need is cold Diet Coke.)

So, the goal would be an American-style hotel in a great location central to the things an American tourist family would want to do on its first visit. Geneva is less important (only one night) but Paris and London will require several night stays each, so we'd like to be as comfortable as possible without totally blowing the budget.

Excellent question, M&B. I don't have any suggestions, but I'm sure others will... I merged your new thread into this main thread (my first official mod act) so that everyone who looks in Vacations will see it.

As an aside, if anyone has vacation plans, questions or suggestions that seem too outable to them, feel free to PM me and I will post your thoughts anonymously.

Carry on.
Old 10-30-2003, 10:59 AM   #60
evenodds
prodigal poster

Quote:
Originally posted by MetesAndBounds

I highly recommend Rick Steve's guidebooks. We used them for Paris and London and found great hotels. In Paris, we stayed in a small hotel in the Marais. The key is en suite. Your family will be much happier with a bathroom in your room.

In London, we stayed in a couple of B&Bs, which is a lovely way to see London and get a feel for the people.

My brother just used the same books for a trip to Spain and again did great for hotels.