LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > Miscellaneous > Technology

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 136
1 members and 135 guests
Hank Chinaski
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Old 05-07-2004, 05:20 PM   #91
Alex_de_Large
halfsharkalligatorhalfmod

v600

I just got a Motorola v600 from Cingular. You can find more detains from phonescoop.com here. It cost me $150, after rebates, from an indy dealer with whom I have done business in the past. I've only had my hands on it for a few hours, so I can't say much, but my initial impression is: WOW! It's solid and beautiful, and has the best screen of any handset that I have ever seen. BT implimentation (with my moto headset) is terrific, too. I'll write a more thorough review after I've had it for a while.

Here's a pic:

Old 05-10-2004, 09:04 AM   #92
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)

v600

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex_de_Large
I just got a Motorola v600 from Cingular. You can find more detains from phonescoop.com here. It cost me $150, after rebates, from an indy dealer with whom I have done business in the past. I've only had my hands on it for a few hours, so I can't say much, but my initial impression is: WOW! It's solid and beautiful, and has the best screen of any handset that I have ever seen. BT implimentation (with my moto headset) is terrific, too. I'll write a more thorough review after I've had it for a while.
Until they get it to work properly with iSync, it's a non-starter for me, nice as it otherwise is.
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 08:17 AM   #93
credit this

T-Mobile

Has anyone tried cell service from T-Moblie (née Voicestream, née Omnipoint)? I'm considering trying them in the Boston area, where they are not one of the big competitors but claim to have a comprehensive network. I'd be interested to hear comments about service availability experience (anywhere) and customer service.

Thanks!
Old 05-11-2004, 08:31 AM   #94
leagleaze
I didn't do it.

T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally posted by credit this
Has anyone tried cell service from T-Moblie (née Voicestream, née Omnipoint)? I'm considering trying them in the Boston area, where they are not one of the big competitors but claim to have a comprehensive network. I'd be interested to hear comments about service availability experience (anywhere) and customer service.

Thanks!
Yes, we got service with them about a month ago. The experience has been quite good, both in terms of quality of the network and the customer service.

This is in PA by the way. We are using Nokia 3650s, which have great sound quality and way too many buttons.
leagleaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 09:16 AM   #95
baltassoc
Caustically Optimistic

T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally posted by credit this
Has anyone tried cell service from T-Moblie (née Voicestream, née Omnipoint)?
I have T-Mobile and have been very pleased with it. Good price points, good coverage (except in southern virginia, where for a while there was NO coverage [dead phone] and now is still hit or miss -- but who goes to southern virginia?). In the Baltimore-Washington area, I've had Sprint, AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile, and have found T-Mobile the most reliable (but this is partially due to a change in time - everybody is better than five years ago - as well as a change in phone - Nokias always seem to get better reception).

Also, T-Mobile is the only one of the four that hasn't had a billing error. Sprint kept sending me dunning letters for my failure to pay my seriously past due account balance of $0.00.
baltassoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 12:50 PM   #96
pony_trekker
Livin' a Lie!

ATT Wireless

OK, for 6 months I have been getting a bill from ATT Wireless for $00.00. I ordered a phone and then canceled it. When I called CS after I got the 1st bill, after waiting on hold for 45 minutes, they could not bring any account information up with the number on the bill.

How should I handle this?

1. Send a check for 00.00?
2. Send a check for 00.01 and then ask for a refund?
3. Send back a penny in each bill?
pony_trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 01:25 PM   #97
baltassoc
Caustically Optimistic

ATT Wireless

Quote:
Originally posted by pony_trekker
OK, for 6 months I have been getting a bill from ATT Wireless for $00.00. I ordered a phone and then canceled it. When I called CS after I got the 1st bill, after waiting on hold for 45 minutes, they could not bring any account information up with the number on the bill.

I'd go with (4) - send them a letter on firm letterhead demanding that they remedy the problem immediately and threatening them with a suit for defamation of credit if any mention appears on your credit report.

Better, yet, check your credit report, and if there is anything on it, skip directly to filing suit.
baltassoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 01:27 PM   #98
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)

ATT Wireless

Quote:
Originally posted by pony_trekker

Sprint did this to me. I just kept ignoring them. They stopped after about 6 mos.
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 09:16 AM   #99
Alex_de_Large

v600

Quote:
Originally posted by Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)
Until they get it to work properly with iSync, it's a non-starter for me, nice as it otherwise is.
That's coming. In the mean time, bt file transfers work just fine.
Old 05-18-2004, 03:52 PM   #100
Alex_de_Large

v600

After about a week with the v600, I am really happy. RF is EXCELLENT, the best of any GSM handset that I have ever used. Batter life has been so-so, but then I use BT all the time, so that causes much of the drain. Outlook synchronization has been pretty much flawless (constrained, of course, by the shortcomings of moto's handset software) using BT or a cable (bought for $0.50 on ebay, BTW). Plus, it's a badass-looking phone, IMHO, the most solidly-built handset I've used.

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex_de_Large

Here's a pic:

Old 10-17-2007, 06:33 PM   #101
NotFromHere
No title

apple iphone

Huh, this made the local news, but has not spread.

Apple is being sued by the Center for Environmental Health based on a recent report by environmental group Greenpeace which found dangerous chemicals in iPhones.

The report found that the earphone wiring pieces found in Apple’s new mobile device contained high levels of “phthalates,” which are, “a family of compounds made from alcohols and phthalic anhydride. They are oily, colorless, odorless liquids that do not evaporate readily,” according to the Phthalate Information Center.
The levels of phthalates found in the iPhone wiring pieces were found to be higher than that allowed in children’s toys in both California and the European Union.

Here.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:59 AM   #102
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)

apple iphone

Quote:
Originally posted by NotFromHere
Huh, this made the local news, but has not spread.

Apple is being sued by the Center for Environmental Health based on a recent report by environmental group Greenpeace which found dangerous chemicals in iPhones.

The report found that the earphone wiring pieces found in Apple’s new mobile device contained high levels of “phthalates,” which are, “a family of compounds made from alcohols and phthalic anhydride. They are oily, colorless, odorless liquids that do not evaporate readily,” according to the Phthalate Information Center.
The levels of phthalates found in the iPhone wiring pieces were found to be higher than that allowed in children’s toys in both California and the European Union.

Here.
Maybe there's sanity:
  • there is no documented evidence of verifiably hazardous side effects resulting from exposure to phthalates
Old 10-19-2007, 11:44 AM   #103

A window into the weird world of Prop 65.

It essentially rewards watchdog groups for pointing out non-compliance. I suspect that is all that is going on here. Watch for Prop 65 stickers on iPhone packaging in the future.

I am surprised that Apple wouldn't already have tons of Prop 65 warning on these things.
1436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 05:11 PM   #104
Anne Elk
Apathy rocks!

apple iphone

Quote:
Originally posted by Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)
Maybe there's sanity:
  • there is no documented evidence of verifiably hazardous side effects resulting from exposure to phthalates
But there are side effects -
Quote:
Another class of chemicals that showed up in high levels in the Holland children is known as phthalates. These are plasticizers, the softening agents found in many plastic bottles, kitchenware, toys, medical devices, personal care products and cosmetics. In lab animals, phthalates have been associated with reproductive defects, obesity and early puberty. But like PBDEs, little is known about what they do to humans and specifically children.
CNN article

That said, any downsides to the iPhone? I currently have AT&T/Cingular coverage and even though my plan hasn't changed in the 10+ years I've been with them, I have had problems with dropped calls whenever I had a non-Nokia phone.

Last edited by Anne Elk; 10-22-2007 at 05:20 PM..
Anne Elk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 01:08 PM   #105
PresentTense Pirate Penske

ATT/Tethering/iPhones

WTF!?!? http://www.fiercecio.com/techwatch/s...ing/2010-04-30

I call bullshit!