LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > The Big Board

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 188
0 members and 188 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Old 07-24-2013, 03:59 PM   #2836
sebastian_dangerfield

Re: It was the wrong thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
You forgot a key part of the argument, so I fixed this sentence. Do you still agree with the rest?
I'm an ass man. You aren't buying that. Nature either gifted it, or it didn't.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:46 PM   #2837
taxwonk
Wild Rumpus Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
Perhaps your home is not higher quality and larger, but I'm fairly certain the average home is.
You are obviously not a homeowner.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:57 PM   #2838
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxwonk View Post
I'm a condo owner. My building was built in 1985. It is certainly larger and better quality than condo buildings built before then. Both because of improvements in building codes and because it was built as a luxury building and has been maintained that way.

But that's not the point. We're comparing the housing stock in existence in 1980 to that built since 1980. In what ways do you think my statement is untrue?

I don't think there is any doubt that houses have gotten bigger, on average. And, lo!, lookie here. Census data showing that the mean and median size of new single family homes has gone up over time, both up about 50% between 1973 and 2010.

Now quality is a tricky thing. On the one hand, there might be less brick and stone and other stuff that feels sturdy and heavy. And of course there's the annoyance the new stuff doesn't seem to last as long.

But those new homes have more features (things like more bathrooms per bedroom, and, of course, air conditioning which didn't used to be universal), improved safety and code standards, especially when it comes to plumbing and electric, bigger garages, gas or electric heat instead of fuel oil or coal (going way back), and all kinds of stuff.

Seriously, do you people never visit the neighborhoods built in the 40s, 50s and 60s?

ETA: I'll grant you that modern subdivisions can be soulless and lacking in other ways, but the houses are bigger and better quality than their equivalents from earlier periods.

Last edited by Adder; 07-24-2013 at 05:00 PM..
Adder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:03 PM   #2839
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
I'm a condo owner. My building was built in 1985. It is certainly larger and better quality than condo buildings built before then. Both because of improvements in building codes and because it was built as a luxury building and has been maintained that way.

But that's not the point. We're comparing the housing stock in existence in 1980 to that built since 1980. In what ways do you think my statement is untrue?

I don't think there is any doubt that houses have gotten bigger, on average. And, lo!, lookie here. Census data showing that the mean and median size of new single family homes has gone up over time, both up about 50% between 1973 and 2010.

Now quality is a tricky thing. On the one hand, there might be less brick and stone and other stuff that feels sturdy and heavy. And of course there's the annoyance the new stuff doesn't seem to last as long.

But those new homes have more features (things like more bathrooms per bedroom, and, of course, air conditioning which didn't used to be universal), improved safety and code standards, especially when it comes to plumbing and electric, bigger garages, gas or electric heat instead of fuel oil or coal (going way back), and all kinds of stuff.

Seriously, do you people never visit the neighborhoods built in the 40s, 50s and 60s?

ETA: I'll grant you that modern subdivisions can be soulless and lacking in other ways, but the houses are bigger and better quality than their equivalents from earlier periods.
I'll bet you enjoy eating at the Olive Garden.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:35 PM   #2840
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:

Sounds delightful.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:36 PM   #2841
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
I'll bet you enjoy eating at the Olive Garden.
I do not, but I'll consider the possibility that the Olive Garden is better than the typical red-sauce, 1950s "Italian" cuisine that would have been available before it showed up.

You seem to be confusing average and high end.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:38 PM   #2842
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
I was thinking exactly that.

But I'll see you and raise you:

Old 07-24-2013, 05:49 PM   #2843
Atticus Grinch
Hello, Dum-Dum.

Quote:
This confirms for me that there are several areas in which it is dangerously stupid to have a national policy or program. Like maybe we really needed a national law of personhood because the South couldn't manage to do the decent thing for Dred Scott, but pretty much everything else? The subtle ways in which your context is different from mine renders your congressman wrong on everything in my life and my congressman wrong on everything in yours.
Atticus Grinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:53 PM   #2844
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Condo ipsa loquitur.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:09 PM   #2845
Replaced_Texan
Random Syndicate (admin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticus Grinch View Post
bwaHAHAHAHAHAHA

ETA I do take your point as to the rest.
I've had cause in the last two days to look at the real estate market in the Peninsula and I think I can afford to live in East Palo Alto. Maybe.
"In the olden days before the internet, you'd take this sort of person for a ride out into the woods and shoot them, as Darwin intended, before he could spawn."--Will the Vampire People Leave the Lobby? pg 79
Replaced_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:09 PM   #2846
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
I do not, but I'll consider the possibility that the Olive Garden is better than the typical red-sauce, 1950s "Italian" cuisine that would have been available before it showed up.

You seem to be confusing average and high end.
Sure it's dressed up American fast food going down. But when you wash off the remnants of it coming out of the other end later, using the bidet in your condo, the experience is all Europe.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:10 PM   #2847
Did you just call me Coltrane?

Quote:
Yeah, they might be bigger, but they're not better.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:28 PM   #2848
taxwonk
Wild Rumpus Facilitator

Quote:

Quality isn't one big thing. It's the only thing. We've had to replace almost everything that can be replaced without a building permit on a house that is less than ten years old.

Today's subdivision is full of boxes made of prefab panels and the cheapest materials available. My parents lived in one house for almost 30 years and the only time they had to replace anything was one water heater.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:30 PM   #2849
taxwonk
Wild Rumpus Facilitator

Quote:
Condo ipsa loquitur.
Si. On a stick.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:34 PM   #2850
Flinty_McFlint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replaced_Texan View Post
I've had cause in the last two days to look at the real estate market in the Peninsula and I think I can afford to live in East Palo Alto. Maybe.
Please come!