LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > The Fashionable

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 393
0 members and 393 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Old 05-15-2015, 11:04 AM   #106
Sidd Finch
I am beyond a rank!

Re: No Faith in the Moral Standards of the Players as a Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by bold_n_brazen View Post
If this is all true, why didn't Brady cooperate with the investigation? Turn over his cell phone and email records when asked?

To me, that's the gravest misconduct here. The league asks you to cooperate with an investigation? You cooperate. You don't? You get suspended if they find stuff that walks like a duck and talks like a duck.
Total coincidence. Didn't want to support an OBVIOUS witchhunt. Too busy fucking his wife. Pick your favorite lame-ass excuse.
Old 05-15-2015, 11:08 AM   #107
Pretty Little Flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Did you just call me Coltrane? View Post
Whatever it is feel free to feed it all of the pigeons and geese it desires.
It appears to be kind of small for a hobo, although those little cigars they smoke apparently can stunt your growth.

I am not sorry.
Pretty Little Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 11:15 AM   #108
Replaced_Texan
Random Syndicate (admin)

Quote:
Our goalie in HS was 6'5". If you got near him and the ball during a corner kicked you were getting punched in the face. Even during practice.
Graham was a goalie and ended up on the All New England team. He says his hair was to mid back and dyed blue at the time, so he'd wear it in massive pony tails on both sides of his head and then yell like a banshee at anyone who came near his goal. Not too many players wanted to get close.

The All New England team went to England to play some friendlies. The Brits were not as intimidated.
"In the olden days before the internet, you'd take this sort of person for a ride out into the woods and shoot them, as Darwin intended, before he could spawn."--Will the Vampire People Leave the Lobby? pg 79
Replaced_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 11:20 AM   #109
Did you just call me Coltrane?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replaced_Texan View Post
Graham was a goalie and ended up on the All New England team. He says his hair was to mid back and dyed blue at the time, so he'd wear it in massive pony tails and then yell like a banshee at anyone who came near his goal. Not too many players wanted to get close.
I thought when you have more than one pony tail they turn into pig tails?
Old 05-15-2015, 11:22 AM   #110
Did you just call me Coltrane?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretty Little Flower View Post
It appears to be kind of small for a hobo, although those little cigars they smoke apparently can stunt your growth.
Goddamn uppity hobos think they're all fancy with their squab and foie gras dinners. Oh yeah, so why are all of your possessions hanging in a bandana attached to a stick?
Old 05-15-2015, 11:33 AM   #111
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidd Finch View Post
I bet your daughter hates them. I was a goalie (I sucked), my brother was a goalie (amazingly good, a European coach tried to recruit him for their 18-19 year old farm team, even though he was under 6 feet tall), goalies all hate corners. Too fucking stressful, too little you can really control.
No argument there. I like when she anticipates and punches a good ball out of the box (sts), though.

TM
ThurgreedMarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 11:36 AM   #112
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
He says his hair was to mid back and dyed blue at the time, so he'd wear it in massive pony tails on both sides of his head and then yell like a banshee at anyone who came near his goal. Not too many players wanted to get close.
This doesn't sound the least bit intimidating.

TM
Old 05-15-2015, 11:44 AM   #113
Replaced_Texan
Random Syndicate (admin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurgreedMarshall View Post
This doesn't sound the least bit intimidating.

TM
I wasn't there. He has a reunion coming up this summer. I'll see if I can get testimony regarding his keeping practice.
"In the olden days before the internet, you'd take this sort of person for a ride out into the woods and shoot them, as Darwin intended, before he could spawn."--Will the Vampire People Leave the Lobby? pg 79
Replaced_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 11:44 AM   #114
Pretty Little Flower

Quote:
Graham was a goalie and ended up on the All New England team. He says his hair was to mid back and dyed blue at the time, so he'd wear it in massive pony tails on both sides of his head and then yell like a banshee at anyone who came near his goal. Not too many players wanted to get close.

The All New England team went to England to play some friendlies. The Brits were not as intimidated.
I played in goal when our regular goalie was injured, and our back up keeper was unavailable, and every other person I knew who played in net or had at least once played in net, or at a minimum had never explicitly said that they would never play in net, was unavailable. I kind of liked it. I honestly don't recall having extreme negative feelings about corner kicks.

I am not sorry.
Old 05-15-2015, 11:47 AM   #115
Pretty Little Flower

Quote:
Goddamn uppity hobos think they're all fancy with their squab and foie gras dinners. Oh yeah, so why are all of your possessions hanging in a bandana attached to a stick?
The hobo on the left at about 1:29 could probably fit into a pelican suit. But definitely not the dude on the right:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODGA7ssL-6g

I am not sorry.
Old 05-15-2015, 11:55 AM   #116
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretty Little Flower View Post
I played in goal when our regular goalie was injured, and our back up keeper was unavailable, and every other person I knew who played in net or had at least once played in net, or at a minimum had never explicitly said that they would never play in net, was unavailable. I kind of liked it. I honestly don't recall having extreme negative feelings about corner kicks.
I'm swarthy, so when they tried me at goal it didn't work out As soon as they kicked the corner, I'd flop on the ground, like my people do, and then they'd score
Old 05-15-2015, 12:04 PM   #117
Pretty Little Flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
I'm swarthy, so when they tried me at goal it didn't work out As soon as they kicked the corner, I'd flop on the ground, like my people do, and then they'd score
It's not a bad strategy. These days, you can't even sneeze in the general direction of a keeper without getting called.

I am not sorry.
Old 05-15-2015, 12:13 PM   #118
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurgreedMarshall View Post
I think you're drunk.

Here are the two theories:

Yours:
  • Indianapolis, out of nowhere, accuses the Patriots of deflating balls before the game.
  • The ref who measures the balls uses the gauge that measures the Patriots' balls at the lowest possible psi under the regulation.
  • The Patriots attendant takes the balls after they have been approved with him into the bathroom before bringing them to the field.
  • Indianapolis intercepts a ball, lets the air out, and then brings it to the ref to complain hoping that the NFL penalizes Indianapolis based on one ball being underinflated out of a dozen.
  • The refs check the balls at halftime. Every single ball the Patriots are using (except, possibly one, depending on which ref's measurements you go by) are underinflated by at least 1 psi (which you think is insignificant for whatever reason and makes me think you've never held a football).
  • The NFL conducts an investigation and Brady refuses to cooperate.
  • The NFL uncovers texts from Patriots equipment attendants (including the one in charge of the game balls) where they refer to the guy being accused of deflating balls as, "The Deflator" but that's just a nickname because he's fat.
  • The texts say things like, "Brady is pissed off with the pressure of the balls" and "If you deflate the balls, you will get free sneakers." These are just text messages and should carry no significance in the investigation.

Everyone else in the world outside of the Patriot circle-jerk:
  • Brady likes soft balls.
  • Brady tells his guys he wants his balls to be softer than regulation.
  • Guys make sure balls are softer than regulation.
  • Other teams know Brady's balls are soft. Indianapolis accuses them of it and then confirms it when they intercept a pass.
  • Refs confirm all of the Patriots balls are soft.
  • Patriots and Brady lie their asses off.

You think the first scenario is more likely than the second, going so far as to say the second is a conspiracy theory, while, out of the other side of your mouth, hinting that Indianapolis accused the Patriots of deflating balls and then actually deflated one of their balls.

I don't think so.

In any case, I think it's ridiculous that Goodell is going to decide this after setting the punishment. What the fuck is he going to say? "Yeah. You're right. I was a bit harsh and the evidence I* based my decision on is a little murky, so I'll knock the punishment down to 2 games and one draft pick."

The NFL is a joke under Goodell. He needs to go.

TM

*Meaning my flunky, who I instructed to do exactly as he did.
I disagree with the way you have characterized "my" theory (hi Flower!), but whatever. Burger has my proxy on the question of how many balls were how underinflated when -- that seems absolutely crucial. If, as you say, many balls were significantly under 12.5 psi, then what I was suggesting doesn't fit. If only one ball was significantly under 12.5 psi (and it was the ball the Colts intercepted) then things look rather different.

You have already made up your mind that the Patriots were cheating. I came into this conversation agnostic, but talking about it with you is pushing me the other way, and I'd rather remain agnostic. As I said at the outset, I'm not particularly inclined to defend Brady or the team, but I think the rush to judgment on everyone's part has been ridiculous. This morning I read this ESPN article about the Patriots' challenge to the league, and it makes me suspect there's something to the Patriots' case. Kraft is not an outsider within the league, and days ago he was saying they would accept whatever the league handed down.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Tyrone Slothrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 12:17 PM   #119
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Dan Shaughnessy of the Boston Globe has my proxy

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/20...?event=event25

TM

Last edited by ThurgreedMarshall; 05-15-2015 at 12:27 PM..
Old 05-15-2015, 12:24 PM   #120
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by bold_n_brazen View Post
Yes, seriously.

This isn't his employer. This is the NFL. And I believe being helpful during an investigation is part of the players standards of conduct. And if it's not, it should be.
The standards of conduct is negotiated between the league, which is a commercial enterprise and not a government authority, and the union. If Brady had a duty to turn over all of his text messages and didn't comply, then they can and should suspend him for that. But they didn't. If -- if -- he cooperated with the investigation in other ways, and drew the line at handing over those kinds of personal materials to an organization that notoriously leaks like a sieve and has blatantly mishandled other investigations, then that sounds pretty reasonable to me. YMMV.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Tyrone Slothrop is offline   Reply With Quote