LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 163
0 members and 163 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 12:39 PM   #4831
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Re: Mother, mother, mother - there's too many of you crying.

Fantastic:

Quote:
The wife of Matthew Heimbach, who leads the neo-Nazi Traditionalist Worker Party, told police that during a domestic altercation, her husband kicked a wall, grabbed her face, and threw her violently on a bed, according to a police report obtained by TPM. The incident occurred in the presence of the couple’s two young sons.

As TPM reported, Heimbach, 26, was arrested early Tuesday morning and charged with one felony count of domestic battery in the presence of a child under 16, and one misdemeanor count of battery.

The arrest followed a bizarre sequence of events stemming from an extramarital affair Heimbach was conducting, according to the police report.

The white nationalist leader is married to the step-daughter of Matt Parrott, the Traditionalist Worker Party’s chief spokesman. Per the police report, Heimbach attacked both Parrott and his own wife, Brooke Heimbach, after the pair confronted Matthew Heimbach about an affair he was carrying out with Matt Parrott’s wife, Jessica.

The group all live in the same trailer park compound in rural Paoli, Indiana, where the Traditionalist Worker Party is based. In statements to the police, all four listed their professions as “white nationalists.”
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 03-14-2018, 02:45 PM   #4832
LessinSF
Wearing the cranky pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Or maybe Trump realizes Melania is leaving him soon and he is starting the audition process for the next wife?
<-- Running a pool on what day the dick pics are released.
Old 03-14-2018, 03:23 PM   #4833
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
You left out the part about the group all being stewards for United.
Old 03-14-2018, 05:07 PM   #4834
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

The NYT reports that Sessions may be about to screw McCabe out of his pension. If you wanted to piss off law enforcement, it's hard to think of a better way.*

* Hmm. Maybe pressuring a cop to have a beer with the black professor he mistakenly arrested?
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 03-14-2018, 06:31 PM   #4835
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Re: Another One Bites the Dust

One of the great things about the nail-biter in PA-18 is that the Republicans probably would have pulled it out if they'd resisted the urge to start blaming their candidate for losing before he lost.

It's like the Battle of Karansebes all over again.
Old 03-14-2018, 06:50 PM   #4836
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
One of the great things about the nail-biter in PA-18 is that the Republicans probably would have pulled it out if they'd resisted the urge to start blaming their candidate for losing before he lost.

It's like the Battle of Karansebes all over again.
I'm amazed at the Republican spin today about the election. Who are they trying to fool?
Old 03-14-2018, 07:16 PM   #4837
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
I'm amazed at the Republican spin today about the election. Who are they trying to fool?
All of their base is below-average.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:17 PM   #4838
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
All of their base is below-average.
Intellectual honesty is important in an echo chamber- the T man won the district by a shit ton, so maybe the base turned? What were the 3rd party votes in that district? Is that where sebby lives?
Old 03-15-2018, 08:27 AM   #4839
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Intellectual honesty is important in an echo chamber- the T man won the district by a shit ton, so maybe the base turned? What were the 3rd party votes in that district? Is that where sebby lives?
That's Pittsburgh.

I'd say the Trump base that is focused on economic issues is constantly turning. They're seeking a magic ticket, and when they don't see it materializing, they pull the other lever. (How else does one vote for Obama, then Trump?)

They believe the President and Congress control the economy. When they don't "get them jobs back," they attribute it primarily to policy decisions.

And the Trump base is too small to lose any sub-group and remain effective at the ballot box.

Trump will always have his base in hopeless places like Missouri, or the bowels of Ohio. Those dead enders are true believers, thick with the Jesus, high on revisionist history of lost white 'Mericana.

But Pennsylvania is not ideological. It's got no real personality, no real ethos. It's sole resources have been fossil fuels and cynical pragmatism. They aren't about improving, just surviving.

Democrats and Republicans in PA have traditionally been in the Party of Me. They're interested solely in power, because in a state with next to zero economic growth, filled with geriatrics, govt money is often the only money. (Because it's Commonwealth, PA is actually dozens of mini states at the county level, run mostly by a mix of incompetents and opportunists.) PA will flip blue in a huge way in the midterms. But then, when the Democrats don't deliver any more than Trump did (as they'll be gridlocked), don't be surprised if PA flips red again in 2020.

These back-and-forths are the death rattle of low information voters, and Pennsylvania is filled with them. I think they'll keep voting against the incumbent party that hasn't given them what they want for few more cycles before the realization of the act's futility permeates their skulls.

Last edited by sebastian_dangerfield; 03-15-2018 at 08:33 AM..
Old 03-15-2018, 09:23 AM   #4840
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Re: There are half-wits, and then there are no-wits

Quote:
No, the base didn't turn, but the non-base support for Trump peeled away.

Sebby isn't Trump's base. But he is part of the Trump coalition. Maybe it's a small distinction, but it's an important one.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:35 AM   #4841
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
No, the base didn't turn, but the non-base support for Trump peeled away.

Sebby isn't Trump's base. But he is part of the Trump coalition. Maybe it's a small distinction, but it's an important one.
How?

ETA: It’s my fault the parties ran candidates so bad I felt the need to order off the menu? It’s my fault the Democrats ran a candidate so bad she lost to a guy who didn’t even want to win? I should have seen a Trump win coming despite endless polls predicting Hillary? If I’m inadvertently part of his coalition, it’s because all the people who were supposed to keep Trump from happening: (a) failed to do so; (b) allowed a weak but powerful candidate to run; and, (c) got behind a media narrative that Hillary was inevitable, which those experts should have known was more hope than fact.

I was thrust into a coalition I don’t like. I’ll accept that I’m there. But the people who caused it need to own up to it. I should be a allowed to vote a third party candidate without consequence.

Last edited by sebastian_dangerfield; 03-15-2018 at 09:51 AM..
Old 03-15-2018, 10:08 AM   #4842
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
I should be a allowed to vote a third party candidate without consequence.
Every vote has a consequence you idiot. That's the point.
Old 03-15-2018, 10:49 AM   #4843
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Every vote has a consequence you idiot. That's the point.
Yes, in the sense that everything has a consequence (butterfly effect). But I should not be compelled to vote any particular way because the power structure that’s supposed to keep policy and candidates within a certain range (or outside certain spheres of deviancy, to use a journalist’s descriptive) completely fuck up their job.

There are quiet but powerful failsafes in place to placate or defuse populists. Both parties and the corporate and bureaucratic power structures have totally failed in implementing them.
Old 03-15-2018, 11:07 AM   #4844
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:

TM
Old 03-15-2018, 11:08 AM   #4845
Pretty Little Flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
Yes, in the sense that everything has a consequence (butterfly effect). But I should not be compelled to vote any particular way because the power structure that’s supposed to keep policy and candidates within a certain range (or outside certain spheres of deviancy, to use a journalist’s descriptive) completely fuck up their job.

There are quiet but powerful failsafes in place to placate or defuse populists. Both parties and the corporate and bureaucratic power structures have totally failed in implementing them.
Translation: I'm sorry. I'm really, really sorry.

I am not sorry.
Closed Thread