LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > The Fashionable

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 414
0 members and 414 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-16-2015, 07:47 PM   #11
taxwonk
Wild Rumpus Facilitator

Re: No Faith in the Moral Standards of the Players as a Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurgreedMarshall View Post
Way more into soccer. Watch with my daughter, who is a goalie, all the time. I like it much more, but I still can't fucking stand the flopping. If you catch me on facebook, I'm the exact same way about basketball and that's a sport I know and love. Used to love Griffin and Paul, but now I can't stand them because of the flopping. And don't get me started on Harden.

But I don't understand why one can't discuss a rule that I don't understand. As far as I can tell, the only responses I got were of the "it prevents players from camping out on one end of the field," variety. When I asked why that's a concern since the other team could either take an advantage of one fewer player against them on defense or leave a player back to guard against cherry-picking, all I heard was silence. I've since researched it a bit and spoken to people who actually understand the game and apparently, the rule is supposed to protect the beauty of the perfectly-timed pass. Makes sense, I guess. I still think if you removed the rule, there would be more (or maybe different, to be fair) strategy. If it turned into one team dumping the ball into the other team's end--similar to hockey--that would ruin it.

TM
The offside rule in soccer is pretty much the same thing as in hockey. When your daughter was younger, if your experience was at all similar to mine, was that someone would get the ball and one of two things would happen: em would blast the ball down toward the other teams goal or every body on the field but the goalies would form this rugby sort of scrum where all the kids kicked each other in the ankle until someone got the ball loose. Then that kid would blast the ball down to the goal. The offside rule keeps the players from hanging around the goal, waiting for a chance to cherry-pick a loose ball.