LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > Regional Forums > Texas

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 391
0 members and 391 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Old 04-17-2003, 05:51 PM   #16
evenodds
prodigal poster

...pay cuts for many, if not most, of you are on the table

Cross-post from NY Board:

...pay cuts for many, if not most, of you are on the table

Subject: Salary Cuts (aka yet another reason to hate texas)

Disclosure: This quote is from a Greedy Texas Associate on the other board, so may have nothing to do with NY, but hopefully it will give us some much need salary chatter and indignation on this board.

Quote:
quote:A few things of consequence are on the horizon, and you will all no doubt be hearing more about this soon. There is serious talk among firm managements about rolling back associate salaries. Yes, management at firms with cutthroat competition for clients do communicate when it is in their self-interests to do so.

An across the board reduction in associate compensation is in active discussion. This will allow partners/shareholders/directors to maintain current incomes (necessary to meet current obligations), while addressing the concerns of many clients that the fee adjustments of the last four or five years are just not viable in today's market. Perception is reality here, and client comfort is key.
-- see http://www.infirmation.com/bboard/c...l?msg_id=002AJH for full text.

thoughts?
evenodds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 02:17 PM   #17
TexLex

How not to spend your weekend(Spree: Man falls off cruise ship in Gulf.)

-T(Brrr.)L
Old 04-18-2003, 06:17 PM   #18
Radman

Jenkens -- Austin

Quote:
Originally posted by evenodds
What is with all the former lawyers from Jenkens reconstituting at DuBois Bryant Campbell & Schwartz?

I heard from an Austin GA that there are now 12 Jenkens lawyers in all different disciplines, mostly labor and employment.

Anyone have any info on how long before Jenkens implodes completely?
Get your facts straight. Three labor lawyers left Jenkens Austin earlier this month to start their own firm; no former Jenkens labor lawyers at the Dubois firm. I think about 7 attys at the Dubois from came from Jenkens over the past three years. An estate planning atty recently moved from Graves Dougherty to the Dubois firm (she had been with Jenkens before Graves). My understanding is that most left Jenkens (majority were real estate) because they needed to lower their rates to compete in Austin (also why the labor section left). Jenkens Austin should be in good shape.
Old 04-18-2003, 06:25 PM   #19
evenodds
prodigal poster

Jenkens -- Austin

Quote:
Originally posted by Radman
Get your facts straight. Three labor lawyers left Jenkens Austin earlier this month to start their own firm; no former Jenkens labor lawyers at the Dubois firm. I think about 7 attys at the Dubois from came from Jenkens over the past three years. An estate planning atty recently moved from Graves Dougherty to the Dubois firm (she had been with Jenkens before Graves). My understanding is that most left Jenkens (majority were real estate) because they needed to lower their rates to compete in Austin (also why the labor section left). Jenkens Austin should be in good shape.
Thanks for the information, Radman.

I was passing along scuttlebutt from an Austin GA. Glad to hear Jenkens is going strong.

Even(hope the same for all our Texas firms)Odds
evenodds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 06:32 PM   #20
ltl/fb

Offer Recissions?

Has anyone heard anything about firms rescinding offers? I heard a rumor that a summer from last year who had declined my firm's offer was asking whether there was room for her because the other firm she summered at, whose offer she accepted, rescinded her offer.

Of course, it may be that her grades fell sharply or something like that, but curious. I don't recall what the other firm was, but I believe it was not a small firm, as she was to go into a pretty specialized practice area.
ltl/fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 08:05 PM   #21
SEC_Chick
I am beyond a rank!

Offer Recissions?

Quote:
Originally posted by ltl/fb
Has anyone heard anything about firms rescinding offers? I heard a rumor that a summer from last year who had declined my firm's offer was asking whether there was room for her because the other firm she summered at, whose offer she accepted, rescinded her offer.

Of course, it may be that her grades fell sharply or something like that, but curious. I don't recall what the other firm was, but I believe it was not a small firm, as she was to go into a pretty specialized practice area.
While I haven't heard specifically about recissions, it wouldn't surprise me. My friend told me about how his firm took in a refugee who had summered at his firm, but split with and ultimately accepted an offer with V&E. Upon moving to Houston after the bar, buying a house and relocating em's family, VE told the summer that em there was no place for em in the Houston office and that em could move to the Dallas office (my understanding that this was without any additional relocation assistance provided by the firm) or to get the hell out. The SA contacted the other firm em clerked with who took the SA back.
SEC_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 09:24 PM   #22
Regional Anon

Offer Recissions?

Quote:
Originally posted by SEC_Chick
While I haven't heard specifically about recissions, it wouldn't surprise me. My friend told me about how his firm took in a refugee who had summered at his firm, but split with and ultimately accepted an offer with V&E. Upon moving to Houston after the bar, buying a house and relocating em's family, VE told the summer that em there was no place for em in the Houston office and that em could move to the Dallas office (my understanding that this was without any additional relocation assistance provided by the firm) or to get the hell out. The SA contacted the other firm em clerked with who took the SA back.
It was a truly crappy situation. But your understanding was not correct -- he was offered significant relocation assistance. Nonetheless, the situation wasn't handled well at all in most respects.

Anon for obvious reasons.
Old 04-28-2003, 04:54 PM   #23
gretidog

Patent prosecution in Texas?

Anyone hiring patent prosecutors in Texas? In-house or law firm. I am an M.E. Thanks.

I'm going to move this to the main thread, maybe you will get some more responses there. Leagleaze
Old 04-29-2003, 07:36 PM   #24
greedy

Jenkens -- Austin

Quote:
Originally posted by Radman
Since you seem to be in the know--what is happening in Jenkens IP. It seems that a bunch have left out of the Dallas office and rumors are that Chicago is going soon as well. Any info?
Old 05-01-2003, 08:35 AM   #25
Paratech

Post Texas Salaries & Billing: Steady as She Goes

Straight from law.com today 5/1/2003

Texas Salaries & Billing: Steady as She Goes
State's salaries, billing rates reflect modest increases

Lisa M. Whitley
Texas Lawyer
05-01-2003

For the second year in a row, salaries at Texas firms increased by very little on average, according to Texas Lawyer's annual Salary & Billing Survey.

Forty-six firms responded to this year's survey. Survey averages revealed salary increases ranging from 2.6 percent for paralegals with one to three years' experience to 6.7 percent for personnel managers.

Associates fared about the same. Survey averages ranged from a 1.7 percent increase in seventh-year associate salaries to a 4.8 percent increase for fourth-year associates.

Edited to remove the bulk of the (copyrighted) article. Please post an excerpt and then a link for future articles. Thanks, TL
Old 05-08-2003, 05:46 PM   #26
SEC_Chick
I am beyond a rank!

Tucker Max: the lawsuit

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/...-beauty07.html

According to the article, he's working at a bar in Austin. Anyone know where?

A friend of mine went to law school with him, so I am pretty sure he exists, but part of me won't believe it unless I see him.
SEC_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 06:28 PM   #27
evenodds
prodigal poster

Tucker Max: the lawsuit

Quote:
Originally posted by SEC_Chick
http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/...-beauty07.html

According to the article, he's working at a bar in Austin. Anyone know where?

A friend of mine went to law school with him, so I am pretty sure he exists, but part of me won't believe it unless I see him.
I have some bar hopping friends in Austin, so I may send them on a hunt to find him . . .
Old 05-12-2003, 05:24 PM   #28
evenodds
prodigal poster

Lege Update: the Boycott

Moved to Texas Politics thread. TL
Old 05-14-2003, 05:22 PM   #29
TexLex

Long Commute

So I see Boobjob finally made it over. It's about time.

-TL
Old 05-16-2003, 11:17 AM   #30
boobjob
No Rank For You!

Return

Too nosy not to at least peek over the wall.
boobjob is offline   Reply With Quote