LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > Miscellaneous > Mom & Dad, Esq.

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 133
0 members and 133 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Old 12-11-2006, 01:29 PM   #3616
robustpuppy

tree skirt

Not entirely a parenting issue, but I need a nice tree skirt and hope for inspiration beyond the usual suspects (Pottery Barn, Lands' end.) Any ideas? I'd like to buy it online because I HATE SHOPPING.
robustpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 01:49 PM   #3617
tmdiva
Quality not quantity

tree skirt

Quote:
Originally posted by robustpuppy
Not entirely a parenting issue, but I need a nice tree skirt and hope for inspiration beyond the usual suspects (Pottery Barn, Lands' end.) Any ideas? I'd like to buy it online because I HATE SHOPPING.
I like the Hable ones from Garnet Hill. There are also a couple of nice ones at Crate & Barrel.

tm
tmdiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 01:52 PM   #3618
Sparklehorse

tree skirt

Quote:
This "exclusive" Folkloric one at Garnet Hill is pretty:

They have three others on the web site.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:48 PM   #3619
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)

tree skirt

Quote:
A piece of green felt from G Street Fabrics, and some heavy shears?
Old 12-11-2006, 02:51 PM   #3620
robustpuppy

tree skirt

Quote:
Originally posted by Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)
A piece of green felt from G Street Fabrics, and some heavy shears?
I'm not Martha Freakin' Stewart.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:59 PM   #3621
Replaced_Texan
Random Syndicate (admin)

tree skirt

Quote:
I am a big fan of Pier 1 christmas stuff. It's usually really colorful, and it's not too expensive. YMMV, and I go to the stores. Dunno if the online experience is different or not.
"In the olden days before the internet, you'd take this sort of person for a ride out into the woods and shoot them, as Darwin intended, before he could spawn."--Will the Vampire People Leave the Lobby? pg 79
Replaced_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 03:05 PM   #3622
robustpuppy

tree skirt

Quote:
Originally posted by Replaced_Texan
I am a big fan of Pier 1 christmas stuff. It's usually really colorful, and it's not too expensive. YMMV, and I go to the stores. Dunno if the online experience is different or not.
Pier 1 stinks online (no selection), but it may be worth visiting a store, which I think I can stomach because they are usually not in malls, and it may result in immediate gratification. Good suggestion.

I agree, they do have pretty stuff, I just hope they still have nice things left this "late" in the season.

Last edited by robustpuppy; 12-11-2006 at 03:13 PM..
Old 12-11-2006, 03:21 PM   #3623
patentparanyc

Snow Suits

Quote:
Originally posted by Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)
Why not get some technical gear from Patagonia (hi PPNYC!)

We just bought the Baby PPNYC [he's really a toddler I'm in denial] a coat, snow pants and mittens from Patagonia. I loooove their stuff. It lasts you can hand it down to the next kid, it keeps them toasty.

http://www.patagonia.com/web/us/prod...KETS#sku.65890

His last snowsuit was from Hana Andersson. I cannot say enough about their stuff either. It was truly cute. navy and orange.

Last edited by patentparanyc; 12-11-2006 at 03:29 PM..
patentparanyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 03:29 PM   #3624
Replaced_Texan
Random Syndicate (admin)

tree skirt

Quote:
Pier 1 stinks online (no selection), but it may be worth visiting a store, which I think I can stomach because they are usually not in malls, and it may result in immediate gratification. Good suggestion.

I agree, they do have pretty stuff, I just hope they still have nice things left this "late" in the season.
I got there last Monday and they seemed to already have a lot on sale. I'm trying to decide now if I want to go back and find one of the feather wreaths. I think they're pretty.
"In the olden days before the internet, you'd take this sort of person for a ride out into the woods and shoot them, as Darwin intended, before he could spawn."--Will the Vampire People Leave the Lobby? pg 79
Replaced_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 09:21 AM   #3625
SEC_Chick
I am beyond a rank!

Snow Suits

Quote:
Originally posted by Sparklehorse
Thanks. Yesterday the little brother was wearing Hanna Andersson outfit my mother bought a few years ago for the older brother. We were all commenting about how well-made it was and it looked great on the baby too.

I heart Hanna Andersson. It is my absolute favorite brand of clothing for the Chicklet. Unfortunately there aren't any stores here (though they did email me asking in which mall they should put one locally), and their shipping is expensive. You can call the outlets and they'll ship things at a good price and charge less for shipping. Their zippers are the best pajamas ever and last forever and because of the folding cuffs can be worn twice as long as anything else. I recently picked up some zippers from the outlet for $10 (normally $36). Also, their big sale is coming up right before Christmas, the 21st I have heard). You can also keep old catalogs and punch in item codes for things that are last year's, and are not sold out, just not showing up online and they'll usually be at a substantial discount (I just ordered a short sleeve playdress set for next summer).

All I need is a Naartjie store around here and I'd be set.
SEC_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 12:57 PM   #3626
patentparanyc

Snow Suits

Quote:
Originally posted by SEC_Chick
I heart Hanna Andersson. It is my absolute favorite brand of clothing for the Chicklet. Unfortunately there aren't any stores here (though they did email me asking in which mall they should put one locally), and their shipping is expensive. You can call the outlets and they'll ship things at a good price and charge less for shipping. Their zippers are the best pajamas ever and last forever and because of the folding cuffs can be worn twice as long as anything else. I recently picked up some zippers from the outlet for $10 (normally $36). Also, their big sale is coming up right before Christmas, the 21st I have heard). You can also keep old catalogs and punch in item codes for things that are last year's, and are not sold out, just not showing up online and they'll usually be at a substantial discount (I just ordered a short sleeve playdress set for next summer).

All of the Hana Stuff we've bought over the years a) retained color --faded very little b) retained shape and is just so well made. To me, that is value added that you can pass it down some of the lesser stuff seems like it will fall apart on contact.....

Their onsies zippers are so soft...and the babies look so good in them.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:25 PM   #3627
tmdiva
Quality not quantity

Snow Suits

Quote:
Originally posted by SEC_Chick

Thor will be wearing fuzzy sleepers until he can figure out how to stay under the covers, but then he'll switch to the long johns like his big brother. Hanna long johns are the best. They wear like iron.

Even here in the land of Hanna, it's sometimes hard to get out to the store or the outlet when they're having one of their big sales, and frankly the selection for boys is fairly thin. But I recently found a new fleece jacket on eBay and paid half of list, and Thor looks absolutely delicious in it. I would definitely check that out.

tm
tmdiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 04:34 PM   #3628
Sparklehorse

Snow Suits

Quote:
Originally posted by tmdiva
But I recently found a new fleece jacket on eBay and paid half of list, and Thor looks absolutely delicious in it. I would definitely check that out.

tm
To get back to the snow suits, in the end, I bought a nwt Columbia 2-piece set on eBay for slightly less than $60 with free priority shipping. Thanks for the advice as Columbia was not a brand I would have thought of on my own for a kid's snow suit.

Last edited by Sparklehorse; 12-12-2006 at 04:53 PM..
Sparklehorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 04:35 PM   #3629
Sparklehorse

Snow Suits

Quote:
Originally posted by Sparklehorse

Acccidental quote instead of editing above.

Last edited by Sparklehorse; 12-12-2006 at 04:37 PM..
Sparklehorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 09:55 AM   #3630
pony_trekker
Livin' a Lie!

Need feedback on this.

My kid who is a solid 12YO player on a mediocre travel hockey team has had a recent rash of anger management issues in practice despite a history of self control.

He has a history of attention issues, but for the most part has played cleanly since he started three years ago. Never winds up in the box, never takes retaliatory penalties.

Last week at practice he took a two handed slash at another player for cutting him in line. He was taken off the ice by the coach, as I didn't see it. There was no injury as he hit shoulder pads, but I warned him that if he did it again, I would take him off the team. The kid he slashed is a little goofy but NOT an aggressive or mean-spirited kid. In my opinion there is no room in youth hockey for behavior like this.

Last night there was a little bit of "going at it" with another player who is a very aggressive instigator. This time, my kid's two-handed slash hit the other kid square on the forearm. My reaction was to ask the coach to stop practice (he didn't see it) and I pulled my kid off the ice and we left practice.

My intent is to follow up on my threat and have him continue to skate on his own if he wants but not to have him play on this team any more. It would be a blow to him and the team but I think it's necessary. I haven't talked to the coach yet.

Folks, I truly respect the opinions on this board. Please tell me what you would do.

Thanks.
pony_trekker is offline   Reply With Quote