LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > Miscellaneous > Mom & Dad, Esq.

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 156
0 members and 156 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Old 06-05-2007, 10:33 PM   #3781
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)

Proud moments in parenting.

Quote:
Originally posted by ltl/fb
My friends and sister and I used to tie each other up with scarves, to see if we could tie someone up so securely she couldn't get free, and look how I turned out! It will all be OK. Hiding is an undervalued talent.
Translation: Ollie's kids will like the noir one day, too.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:13 AM   #3782
Gattigap
Southern charmer

Father's Day in Anaheim

So I spent Father's Day with the Gaplets at Disneyland. Because -- let's admit it, guys -- we can moan and bitch about wanting to watch the games all day, or searing some meat on the grill, but what we really want to do is spend some time in Anaheim. Am I right, or am I right?

By the way, Disneyland says "hi."

So while I was sitting in a flat boat listening to It's a Small World, I contemplated how much Disney (and theme parks generally) are about time management. Really, they're almost entirely about time management, as attested by the existence of the sprawling cottage industry dedicated to maximizing your fun/minimizing your dollars and headaches at these things.

I was reminded of this scientific discipline when I saw Disney's new Finding Nemo Submarine ride, located, somewhat improbably, in Tomorrowland.

For the last month or two, the greater Southern California area as been saturated with a media blitz worthy of a major motion picture, all dedicated to this friggin' ride. It "launched" earlier this month.

Anticipating the deluge, I was wary of getting anywhere near it. Instead, I encouraged the boys instead to focus on Buzz Lightyear or Autopia or PleaseGodAnythingButThat. Fortunately, they were content with those options, and we didn't have to have an argument about Nemo. But I could see from afar the attention it's getting.

I remember press reports suggesting that the ride is designed to process about 3000 passengers per hour. That's a Herculean number, to be sure, but it only makes more daunting the line that assembled to ride it. At the end, the sign suggested that the wait time was 150 minutes.

No, really. 150 minutes.

The ride itself lasts 12 minutes. I honestly couldn't think of a justifiable reason for a 2.5 hour wait in the sun for a 12 minute payoff, at least not one that legitimately could be found within the confines of a children's amusement park. So we moved on.

Gattigap
Old 06-19-2007, 12:28 PM   #3783
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)

Duff beer for me, duff beer for you . . .

Quote:
Originally posted by Gattigap

So while I was sitting in a flat boat listening to It's a Small World, I contemplated how much Disney (and theme parks generally) are about time management. Really, they're almost entirely about time management, as attested by the existence of the sprawling cottage industry dedicated to maximizing your fun/minimizing your dollars and headaches at these things.

. . .

The ride itself lasts 12 minutes. I honestly couldn't think of a justifiable reason for a 2.5 hour wait in the sun for a 12 minute payoff, at least not one that legitimately could be found within the confines of a children's amusement park. So we moved on.

Gattigap
Doesn't this suggest that while about time management, it's about maximizing the amount of time you can wait without revolting?
Old 06-22-2007, 09:38 AM   #3784
pony_trekker
Livin' a Lie!

Father's Day in Anaheim

Quote:
Originally posted by Gattigap
I honestly couldn't think of a justifiable reason for a 2.5 hour wait in the sun for a 12 minute payoff, at least not one that legitimately could be found within the confines of a children's amusement park. So we moved on.

Gattigap
aHHHH, as a youth a typical Friday night involved a 4 hour wait for a 12 SECOND payoff . . .
pony_trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 11:02 AM   #3785
Alex_de_Large
halfsharkalligatorhalfmod

Double stroller update

So after going back and forth, we bought a Phil & Teds Sport (the successor to the e3), and I tried it for the first time this weekend (albeit with only 1 kid, because No. 2 isn't scheduled to make an appearance until August). It's light, agile, and my kid was comfortable, which si all you can ask for.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:12 PM   #3786
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)

Double stroller update

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex_de_Large
So after going back and forth, we bought a Phil & Teds Sport (the successor to the e3), and I tried it for the first time this weekend (albeit with only 1 kid, because No. 2 isn't scheduled to make an appearance until August). It's light, agile, and my kid was comfortable, which si all you can ask for.
Did you get an iPhone yet?
Old 07-12-2007, 07:24 PM   #3787
tmdiva
Quality not quantity

I Am a Cliche

We ended up getting a Honda Odyssey EX-L with DVD. It's huge, with more bells and whistles than we've ever had before (leather seats, zoned climate controls, in-dash CD changer, DVD system, 15! cup holders, heated seats, etc. etc.).

tm
tmdiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 08:17 PM   #3788
ltl/fb

I Am a Cliche

Quote:
Originally posted by tmdiva
We ended up getting a Honda Odyssey EX-L with DVD. It's huge, with more bells and whistles than we've ever had before (leather seats, zoned climate controls, in-dash CD changer, DVD system, 15! cup holders, heated seats, etc. etc.).

tm
I only have 8 cup holders in my sedan. Damn. I feel inadequate.
ltl/fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 09:54 PM   #3789
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)

I Am a Cliche

Quote:
I only have 8 cup holders in my sedan. Damn. I feel inadequate.
But you don't have any kids. So you could pack in 8 big gulps just for you. Or 4 big gulps and four of those tubes of cookies in cupholder size packages.

Mmmm (zero cupholders and proud of it) Burger
Old 07-12-2007, 10:00 PM   #3790
taxwonk
Wild Rumpus Facilitator

I Am a Cliche

Quote:
Originally posted by Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)
What do you drive? A Yugo?
Old 07-12-2007, 10:02 PM   #3791
ltl/fb

I Am a Cliche

Quote:
But you don't have any kids. So you could pack in 8 big gulps just for you. Or 4 big gulps and four of those tubes of cookies in cupholder size packages.

I like your sig line almost as much as if it were one I had written. I don't drink big gulps, but I may have to get one of those Simpsons drinks at the Kwik-E-Mart. I can't remember the name. I may have a sinus infection.
ltl/fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 10:29 PM   #3792
Not Bob

At Citibank we will meet accidentally.

Quote:

She wants the car with the cupholder armrest. Can you blame her?

I have four cupholders in my Geezermobile sedan. I use all of them at once on occasion, primarily when I am stocking up on bottles of Ale-8 and Wink for those long drives to depositions in Beaucoup Egypt and Fur Peace.
Not Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 09:25 AM   #3793
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)

I Am a Cliche

Quote:
I like your sig line almost as much as if it were one I had written. I don't drink big gulps, but I may have to get one of those Simpsons drinks at the Kwik-E-Mart. I can't remember the name. I may have a sinus infection.
A squishee?
Old 07-13-2007, 09:26 AM   #3794
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)

I Am a Cliche

Quote:
Originally posted by taxwonk
What do you drive? A Yugo?
A car made for driving, not imbibing. Appearances to the contrary, I can go without food and water for durations greater than the usual car trip.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:57 AM   #3795
Oliver_Wendell_Ramone

At Citibank we will meet accidentally.

Quote:
Originally posted by Not Bob
She wants the car with the cupholder armrest. Can you blame her?

I have four cupholders in my Geezermobile sedan. I use all of them at once on occasion, primarily when I am stocking up on bottles of Ale-8 and Wink for those long drives to depositions in Beaucoup Egypt and Fur Peace.
Not Bob dropping the Cake references. Hip. Ster.