LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > Miscellaneous > Tailgate Party

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 380
0 members and 380 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Old 04-02-2004, 03:49 PM   #31
notcasesensitive
Flaired.

WPT

Quote:
Originally posted by Aloha Mr. Learned Hand
In somewhat related news, finally got set up at TruePoker and downloaded the software. One question, how do you reload your play money? Starting with 1000 seems kind of low. Do you have to blow through that first?
you might now. used to be that you could win all kinds of play money playing in tournaments there (I think I have around $50k in play money), but they cut the money awards in play money tournaments, so I don't know how you build now other than playing (and winning) a lot of regular games.
notcasesensitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 04:39 PM   #32
Aloha Mr. Learned Hand

WPT

Quote:
Originally posted by notcasesensitive
you might now. used to be that you could win all kinds of play money playing in tournaments there (I think I have around $50k in play money), but they cut the money awards in play money tournaments, so I don't know how you build now other than playing (and winning) a lot of regular games.
Great, if we get the chance to play you'll have to level the chip count, or you could just bludgeon me with your chip lead...

Currently reading Hellmuth's book, by the way.
Aloha Mr. Learned Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 09:16 AM   #33
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)

John Thompson

Is John Thompson the happiest man alive today? He finally can avoid the embarrasment of being responsible for US basketball's sole legitimate loss in Olympic play.

Absofuckinglutely pathetic. The critics have said this team was put together to market the NBA, not to win a gold medal. It's doing neither, by showing what a lousy game NBA basketball has become.
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 09:22 AM   #34
baltassoc
Caustically Optimistic

GOOD Olympics basketball

Yeah, but did anyone else catch the Serbia-Argentina game? Great game, complete with a controversial buzzer-beating off balance toss-up jump shot to win the game. Argentina raced out ahead by I think 20 points at one point, only to have Serbia catch up and be 3 points up with a minute left.

Best last two minutes to a basketball game I've seen in a long time.
Old 08-16-2004, 10:00 AM   #35
notcasesensitive
Flaired.

WPT

Quote:
Originally posted by Aloha Mr. Learned Hand
Great, if we get the chance to play you'll have to level the chip count, or you could just bludgeon me with your chip lead...

Currently reading Hellmuth's book, by the way.
they took all my extra play chips away. not sure how that happened. went on hiatus and when I came back they were gone. any way, if we set up a No Limit table, we'll start everyone with the same amount and when they're gone, they're gone.
notcasesensitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 02:34 PM   #36
NotFromHere
No title

Because I can't help myself

And I really really hate the Sacramento Kings.

Who in the hell gave TNT the right to PLAYOFFS BASKETBALL WHEN THERE IS NO HD FEED? I mean really. What the hell? And what's the deal in Arco? Do they have to play the music the whole damn time? Out of courtesy, don't other areanas turn off the music, like, during the game? And if you're going to do a stupid interview during a game can we just watch the game and not have the screen minimized to look like a 13" TV? What the hell is wrong with people?

Ray Allen schooling Cutino Mobley.
Old 05-02-2005, 03:01 PM   #37
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)

Quote:
Originally posted by NotFromHere
And what's the deal in Arco? Do they have to play the music the whole damn time? Out of courtesy, don't other areanas turn off the music, like, during the game?
Aren't there very specific rules for this? I think the NFL has them, and thought the NBA did. Like, music only for first 6 seconds of possession. Has to be "equal" for both teams (i.e., noise on defense and offense), and so forth. Not that music operators, any less than clock operators, don't bend the rules for the home team.
Old 05-02-2005, 03:09 PM   #38
Oliver_Wendell_Ramone

Quote:
Originally posted by NotFromHere
And I really really hate the Sacramento Kings.

Who in the hell gave TNT the right to PLAYOFFS BASKETBALL WHEN THERE IS NO HD FEED? I mean really. What the hell? And what's the deal in Arco? Do they have to play the music the whole damn time? Out of courtesy, don't other areanas turn off the music, like, during the game? And if you're going to do a stupid interview during a game can we just watch the game and not have the screen minimized to look like a 13" TV? What the hell is wrong with people?
Just about everybody is doing the all music, all the time thing now. It sucks. Definitely not just an Arco thing.

Ray was damn good last night. But the Sonics ain't going beyond the second round. They're lucky the Kings didn't get healthy a couple of weeks earlier.

I hate the Sonics. I even hate Luke, despite his Duck status, mainly because he's a bible-thumping little freak. What is truly amazing is that, even with Pippie Long Fortson and Bo Derek Radmonovich (sp?), this is not the ugliest Sonic team in memory. Hard to top a team with permed-out Sikma, DJ, JJ, and Fred Brown. That was one ugly team.
Old 05-02-2005, 03:19 PM   #39
NotFromHere
No title

Quote:
Originally posted by Oliver_Wendell_Ramone
Just about everybody is doing the all music, all the time thing now. It sucks. Definitely not just an Arco thing.

Ray was damn good last night. But the Sonics ain't going beyond the second round. They're lucky the Kings didn't get healthy a couple of weeks earlier.

I hate the Sonics. I even hate Luke, despite his Duck status, mainly because he's a bible-thumping little freak. What is truly amazing is that, even with Pippie Long Fortson and Bo Derek Radmonovich (sp?), this is not the ugliest Sonic team in memory. Hard to top a team with permed-out Sikma, DJ, JJ, and Fred Brown. That was one ugly team.
Detlef Schrempf was no walk in the park. Olden Polynice either.

That said, it's nice to see Lenny Wilkens back in Seattle - even if only to work for Fox.
I do not pay much attention to Luke Ridnour except for the fact that he is so incredibly predictable. Dribble to the top of the key and pass left. Every. Time.

I don't think I've seen the music thing done quite so obnoxiously or loud as Arco. They guys here (who also hate the Kings) say that it's part of the "Arco is the loudest arena, we love the home team" schtick.

We can beat the Spurs. We've done it. Whether we step it up enough to do it now, is another thing. Don't harsh my buzz dude, last night was one of the best Sonic games I have ever seen. And I've seen a LOT.

eta, at least we are IN the playoffs.

Last edited by NotFromHere; 05-02-2005 at 04:12 PM..
NotFromHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 03:27 PM   #40
NotFromHere
No title

Quote:
Originally posted by Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)
Aren't there very specific rules for this? I think the NFL has them, and thought the NBA did. Like, music only for first 6 seconds of possession. Has to be "equal" for both teams (i.e., noise on defense and offense), and so forth. Not that music operators, any less than clock operators, don't bend the rules for the home team.
I totally thought there were rules for this. That's why I was so surprised to hear the damn music almost the whole game. And through the stereo, not in dolby digital, it was obnoxious. And on top of that, it was the same 5 songs.
Old 05-19-2005, 05:11 PM   #41
NotFromHere
No title

Dear NBA

Dear NBA referees,
Please note, the if Manu Ginobli is not bleeding, then he has not been fouled. Please review the video.

Is this guy the biggest flopper since Vlade?
Old 07-08-2005, 10:15 AM   #42
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)

Olympics

I'm all for dropping baseball and softball from the olympics, particularly baseball. It's not the best players, the format sucks (single elimination?), and it's not a truly international sport yet.

But I shudder to think what it might be replaced by.

golf, rugby, squash, karate, or roller sports?

Egad. Tennis should go; let's not include squash too. (drop ping pong as far as I'm concerned, and badminton as well, unless you're sticking with keeping old clubby sports).

Rugby? And not even the full 15-person game? I realize it's a popular sport, but is it any more so than baseball, except in different countries?

"Roller sports" I can't see this as much better than synchronized swimming. Or derivative of winter olympic sports. Of course, it's fast becoming the X-games anyway, so have at it.

Karate perhaps, merely because of the other martial arts.

But the olympics have become like affirmative action--everybody's got to have a place at the table, and if you don't, it's a sign of disrespect or something.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:21 AM   #43
futbol fan

Olympics

Quote:
Originally posted by Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)
I'm all for dropping baseball and softball from the olympics, particularly baseball. It's not the best players, the format sucks (single elimination?), and it's not a truly international sport yet.

But I shudder to think what it might be replaced by.

golf, rugby, squash, karate, or roller sports?

Egad. Tennis should go; let's not include squash too. (drop ping pong as far as I'm concerned, and badminton as well, unless you're sticking with keeping old clubby sports).

Rugby? And not even the full 15-person game? I realize it's a popular sport, but is it any more so than baseball, except in different countries?

"Roller sports" I can't see this as much better than synchronized swimming. Or derivative of winter olympic sports. Of course, it's fast becoming the X-games anyway, so have at it.

Karate perhaps, merely because of the other martial arts.

But the olympics have become like affirmative action--everybody's got to have a place at the table, and if you don't, it's a sign of disrespect or something.
Serious question - do you watch any significant part of the Olympics? If so, which part(s)? I tend to find virtually the entire production to be unwatchable. My wife, of course, watches the figure skating like the future of Western Civilization depended on it.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:25 AM   #44
Not Bob

Olympics

Quote:
Originally posted by ironweed
Serious question - do you watch any significant part of the Olympics? If so, which part(s)? I tend to find virtually the entire production to be unwatchable. My wife, of course, watches the figure skating like the future of Western Civilization depended on it.
Hockey when I can. Luge, bobsled, etc. type stuff if I come across it while channel surfing. That's about it.
Not Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 11:42 AM   #45
Replaced_Texan
Random Syndicate (admin)

Olympics

Quote:
Originally posted by ironweed
Tivo made the Olympics watchable for me last year. I'd record 8 hours of coverage and actually sit down for maybe an hour and a half of it. Fast forwarding through the commercials, the stupid sports (trampoline? wtf!), the preliminary races, Bob Costas and the montages about how some guy from Nebraska woke up at 2 am every morning to avenge his great uncle twice removed's goat's cancer was a joy.
"In the olden days before the internet, you'd take this sort of person for a ride out into the woods and shoot them, as Darwin intended, before he could spawn."--Will the Vampire People Leave the Lobby? pg 79
Replaced_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote