LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 191
0 members and 191 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 12:20 PM   #4306
Pretty Little Flower

Re: Immigration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
You have known TM for how many years here? He has no problem being challenged. When someone does it, he expects them to back it up. You don't.
You're scared of him, too, aren't you? It's o.k., we all are. Here's a little secret: I don't even like rap. I don't think it even qualifies as music. It's just some dude talking over somebody else's song. Do you know how much of that shit I have had to listen to just so I can pretend to be a fellow hip hop enthusiast. Well I'm done living in fear.

I am not sorry.
Old 02-01-2018, 12:26 PM   #4307
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretty Little Flower View Post
You're scared of him, too, aren't you? It's o.k., we all are. Here's a little secret: I don't even like rap. I don't think it even qualifies as music. It's just some dude talking over somebody else's song. Do you know how much of that shit I have had to listen to just so I can pretend to be a fellow hip hop enthusiast. Well I'm done living in fear.
ARE YOU FUCKING CHALLENGING ME?

TM
Old 02-01-2018, 12:26 PM   #4308
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretty Little Flower View Post
When I am walking on an urban sidewalk and I see a black man coming toward me, I cross to the other side because it might be TM.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 02-01-2018, 12:38 PM   #4309
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
When I am walking on an urban sidewalk and I see a black man coming toward me, I cross to the other side because it might be TM.
You're lucky. Imagine living in Minnesota, where he knows people? I can barely muster the courage to call him out for having gone to a cake eater college.
Old 02-01-2018, 01:10 PM   #4310
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Bully Ball

So, what happens when Trump keeps firing people until he gets to someone willing to fire Mueller? What happens when Trump tries to fire him directly? (I mean aside from Republicans doing nothing besides saying "The President is within his Constitutional rights to fire Mueller"?) Does someone else pick up the investigation? Is it automatically dead? I presume it would be if the reason for firing him would be the act of investigating what the President has deemed a politically-driven witch hunt.

Where are the state attorneys general who Mueller has been sharing information of the investigation with? I haven't heard much about anyone proceeding with investigations such that they could just pick up where he left off with state charges when the time comes. Are they being deferential to the federal charges? Shouldn't those investigations be running parallel?

This article says Mueller could still write a report and covers what could happen after Mueller gets fired: https://www.wired.com/story/heres-wh...fb_onsiteshare

It also says:

Even if there was no successor forthcoming, the case and investigation could and probably would continue on its own as a regular FBI inquiry.

Starting an investigation at the FBI is a formal process, requiring agents to demonstrate evidence of a criminal predicate to move to what’s known as a “full field” investigation, and, similarly, closing an investigation requires a formal decision to “decline” charges. The “Mueller probe” isn’t actually a single case; at this point there are multiple independent investigations underway, including into Paul Manafort and Rick Gates’ former business dealings, into the campaign’s separate dealings with Russian officials, and into possible obstruction of justice around Jim Comey’s firing.

Some of those cases were well underway before Mueller took over—it was, in fact, the early work of investigators that led to the guilty pleas last fall of George Papadopoulos and Michael Flynn—and others have been launched since. All would and could continue without him. Without Mueller, the assigned FBI agents would return to the Washington Field Office and the prosecution would be placed, most likely, under the supervision of either the US attorney in DC or the Eastern District of Virginia, where the court cases are already playing out.

And this bit is especially heartening:

There’s no reason to believe, in fact, that Mueller—who has surrounded himself with some of the most thoughtful minds of the Justice Department, including Michael Dreeban, arguably the country’s top appellate lawyer, whose career has focused on looking down the road at how cases might play out months or even years later—hasn’t been organizing his investigation since day one with the expectation that he’d someday be fired and worked to ensure that this, his final chapter in a lifetime of public service at the Justice Department, won’t be curtailed before it has gotten to what Mueller calls “ground truth.”

Unfortunately it lays out the best way to kill the investigation (replace Sessions who has recused himself because of his involvement and have that person "box" Mueller's investigation in).

TM
Old 02-01-2018, 01:17 PM   #4311
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
... then seeing as how more than seven in ten Jews vote for Democrats, Jews vote D.
i was trying to find Pa numbers but cannot. I do see that a higher percentage of Jews voter for Trump "than any R in the last 30 years, besides Romney."
Old 02-01-2018, 01:20 PM   #4312
Hank Chinaski

Re: Mother, mother, mother - there's too many of you crying.

Quote:
Very cool.
Old 02-01-2018, 01:26 PM   #4313
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Stop worrying. Thurgreed weighs 300 lbs. That's not him walking at you.

Last edited by Hank Chinaski; 02-01-2018 at 01:29 PM..
Old 02-01-2018, 01:32 PM   #4314
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Re: Bully Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurgreedMarshall View Post
So, what happens when Trump keeps firing people until he gets to someone willing to fire Mueller? What happens when Trump tries to fire him directly? (I mean aside from Republicans doing nothing besides saying "The President is within his Constitutional rights to fire Mueller"?) Does someone else pick up the investigation? Is it automatically dead? I presume it would be if the reason for firing him would be the act of investigating what the President has deemed a politically-driven witch hunt.

Where are the state attorneys general who Mueller has been sharing information of the investigation with? I haven't heard much about anyone proceeding with investigations such that they could just pick up where he left off with state charges when the time comes. Are they being deferential to the federal charges? Shouldn't those investigations be running parallel?

This article says Mueller could still write a report and covers what could happen after Mueller gets fired: https://www.wired.com/story/heres-wh...fb_onsiteshare

It also says:

Even if there was no successor forthcoming, the case and investigation could and probably would continue on its own as a regular FBI inquiry.

Starting an investigation at the FBI is a formal process, requiring agents to demonstrate evidence of a criminal predicate to move to what’s known as a “full field” investigation, and, similarly, closing an investigation requires a formal decision to “decline” charges. The “Mueller probe” isn’t actually a single case; at this point there are multiple independent investigations underway, including into Paul Manafort and Rick Gates’ former business dealings, into the campaign’s separate dealings with Russian officials, and into possible obstruction of justice around Jim Comey’s firing.

Some of those cases were well underway before Mueller took over—it was, in fact, the early work of investigators that led to the guilty pleas last fall of George Papadopoulos and Michael Flynn—and others have been launched since. All would and could continue without him. Without Mueller, the assigned FBI agents would return to the Washington Field Office and the prosecution would be placed, most likely, under the supervision of either the US attorney in DC or the Eastern District of Virginia, where the court cases are already playing out.

And this bit is especially heartening:

There’s no reason to believe, in fact, that Mueller—who has surrounded himself with some of the most thoughtful minds of the Justice Department, including Michael Dreeban, arguably the country’s top appellate lawyer, whose career has focused on looking down the road at how cases might play out months or even years later—hasn’t been organizing his investigation since day one with the expectation that he’d someday be fired and worked to ensure that this, his final chapter in a lifetime of public service at the Justice Department, won’t be curtailed before it has gotten to what Mueller calls “ground truth.”

Unfortunately it lays out the best way to kill the investigation (replace Sessions who has recused himself because of his involvement and have that person "box" Mueller's investigation in).

TM
Not an answer to your question, but it seems to me that the best tool that Mueller and his colleagues have to keep the investigation going is to bring charges against people who aren't Trump, as he has already done. Flynn pled guilty, and Manafort has been indicted. How would a new figure at DOJ justify dropping that case?
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 02-01-2018, 01:44 PM   #4315
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
Not an answer to your question, but it seems to me that the best tool that Mueller and his colleagues have to keep the investigation going is to bring charges against people who aren't Trump, as he has already done. Flynn pled guilty, and Manafort has been indicted. How would a new figure at DOJ justify dropping that case?
Yep. The article mentioned that. But wouldn't a Sessions replacement (for example) just push for a quick plea and cut off digging any deeper at that point?

TM
Old 02-01-2018, 01:51 PM   #4316
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Yep. The article mentioned that. But wouldn't a Sessions replacement (for example) just push for a quick plea and cut off digging any deeper at that point?

TM
I'm just making stuff up, but if Stephen Miller, Hope Hicks, Jared Kushner and Donald Trump, Jr. are indicted for perjury, it might be hard to just take a quick plea. And if DOJ did do that, a Democratic Congress could certainly investigate it and decide it all justified impeachment.
Old 02-01-2018, 02:00 PM   #4317
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
You have known TM for how many years here? He has no problem being challenged. When someone does it, he expects them to back it up. You don't.
Fuck I don’t.

You hear what you want to and disregard what you don’t want to.

Twenty nine percent of any group not doing something undoes the argument, “all X do this.”

Try telling a jury, “7 out of 10 people in this group do [insert], so we can reasonably generalize that they do it monolithically.”
Old 02-01-2018, 02:01 PM   #4318
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
I'm just making stuff up, but if Stephen Miller, Hope Hicks, Jared Kushner and Donald Trump, Jr. are indicted for perjury, it might be hard to just take a quick plea. And if DOJ did do that, a Democratic Congress could certainly investigate it and decide it all justified impeachment.
Right. I guess I was limiting my analysis to those already charged because I think Trump is going to try to get rid of Mueller soon.

Democratic House brings impeachment proceedings, Republican Senate (or small majority Dem Senate) votes against or doesn't reach supermajority necessary for conviction. Is it just a political win at that point? A White House so weakened and illegitimate that it's neutered legislatively? I think Trump would be even more dangerous if that were to happen.

TM
Old 02-01-2018, 02:04 PM   #4319
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
This falls somewhere in the top 20% of the dumbest shit you've said (which is still pretty impressive).

Clever trick, by the way. If I disagree with people on a board set up to debate topics, then nobody can challenge anything I believe. Ridiculous.

But here's some advice for you: If you don't like being called on your bullshit, stop pulling shit out of your ass.

TM
Trump Investigation: Not going to nail Trump.

Going to look like Iran/Contra. Meanwhile, he’s going to pack the judiciary.

This asshat’s going to impact our history for decades, and the “resistance” is busy masturbating to the notion of Mueller conducting a perp walk that Ain’t Gonna Happen. Ever.
Old 02-01-2018, 02:06 PM   #4320
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
Fuck I don’t.

You hear what you want to and disregard what you don’t want to.

Twenty nine percent of any group not doing something undoes the argument, “all X do this.”

Try telling a jury, “7 out of 10 people in this group do [insert], so we can reasonably generalize that they do it monolithically.”
No one (but you just now) has said "all Jews vote D" or do anything monolithically. You objected to the idea that Jews generally vote for Ds. In my book, 71% of Jews voting for Ds and 24% for Rs is Jews generally voting for Ds. But if you find a contrarian take on that 3-1 ratio compelling, go nuts.
Closed Thread