LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 436
0 members and 436 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2019, 07:22 AM   #3211
Icky Thump

Re: Doesn’t Matter Who Wins the K Race; We’re All the Same

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurgreedMarshall View Post
Cool. Thanks!

Yeah, it takes time to build a really great Scotch and bourbon list. It's not just the investment, a lot of the really good stuff isn't just available. You have to qualify, be the right kind of place, know the right people, etc. But we'll get there.

Yes. It was a true fucking slog. But the motivation of getting me the fuck out of my current miserable business was enough to get me through.

TM
Really nothing but admiration for the move here. Law is a turrble business.

Last edited by Icky Thump; 09-08-2019 at 07:28 AM..
Old 09-08-2019, 07:27 AM   #3212
Icky Thump

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurgreedMarshall View Post
Wow. You cut me deep, Shrek.

No secret over here (although I haven't told the firm yet). I'm opening a bar called The Elgin with a couple friends.

www.elginnyc.com

TM
Detroit Pizza!!!!
Old 09-08-2019, 09:34 AM   #3213
Icky Thump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
NYC/political question- my wife and I were talking about going to Jean Georges- she really doesn't want to go anywhere near a Trump building or its businesses. I'd not go to a Trump restaurant for a lot of reasons. But JG rents and can hardly be blamed for not moving out now that Trump is fully ugly.

T/Icky/GWIN any rule of thumb about stepping into a building that happens to rent from the man?
Dunno, I only eat at Chick Fil A.
Old 09-08-2019, 03:08 PM   #3214
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Exclamation Re: Doesn’t Matter Who Wins the K Race; We’re All the Same

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
Man, you’ve limitless naïveté.

That approach gets you slow played, pacified. You think corporate Dems want real change? They’re just playing the progressives while actually working against any meaningful change. Just like the old guard GOP used to placate the evangelicals with promises of overturning Roe while doing nothing to actually achieve that result (as it was political suicide) and appointing moderate judges who upheld it (Kennedy, Souter, O’Connor).

Real change only comes in the teeth of a catastrophe. If you want to see real radical change like the New Deal era policies, your best strategy would be to vote for Trump. He’s the most likely to preside over a terrible crisis.
The "corporate Dems" all voted for universal healthcare. There was no crisis, just meaningful change. Republicans all tried to stop it. You agreed with them. Who was slow played and pacified?
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 09-08-2019, 03:13 PM   #3215
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Man, you’ve limitless naïveté.

You think corporate Dems want real change?

Speaking as someone who gets called "establishment", "neoliberal", "globalist", "corporate", and various other things, can I just say "Fuck Ya!" to real change.

You just watch the change we have in our agenda.

Of course, you'll just whine a lot while it happens.
Old 09-08-2019, 05:11 PM   #3216
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
The "corporate Dems" all voted for universal healthcare. There was no crisis, just meaningful change. Republicans all tried to stop it. You agreed with them. Who was slow played and pacified?
Did I disagree with ACA? I’m not so sure. I was not terribly interested in that. And I think I’ve gone on record saying that single payer could divert tons of money out of HC admin and into other sectors with better multipliers.

If I had any objection to ACA, it probably was in regard to insurers remaining a significant part of it. Or I might have feared what it might do to family members who are docs.
Old 09-08-2019, 05:20 PM   #3217
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
Speaking as someone who gets called "establishment", "neoliberal", "globalist", "corporate", and various other things, can I just say "Fuck Ya!" to real change.

You just watch the change we have in our agenda.

Of course, you'll just whine a lot while it happens.
You’ll never do serious bkcy reform that would make it easier for kids to shed debt (incl. student debt). You’ll never do millennial debt forgiveness. Banks and investors will freak about how it would drive rates high and harm old people living on pensions and investments. And Big Education would lose their minds, as higher borrowing costs would force them to freeze tuition.

There’s never going to be a financial transaction tax, either. Same reasons.

These are real policies that would help the kids. Green New Deal? It’s nice, but it’s not seriously possible to implement over timeline where it’ll help the lower 85%. And Corp Ds will settle for carbon credits. Dust off Gore policies.

Corp Ds might do some form UBI. That I agree. That’s good.

ETA: Corp Ds, like Corp Rs, will never get behind policies which undermine “transaction man’s” grip on wealth here: https://www.wsj.com/articles/when-co...cs-11567782178

And I’m not sure I want them to. Corp Ds benefit me. But for the same reason I can’t vote for Trump, who benefits me differently but pretty much equally, I can’t vote for them. And I don’t have to. I know either way, a Corp D or Corp R will always win. But I don’t have to help them. I can take what I get and keep a conscience of sorts.

But Warren? I can vote for her. It’d hurt but be worth it.

Last edited by sebastian_dangerfield; 09-08-2019 at 05:29 PM..
Old 09-08-2019, 09:40 PM   #3218
sebastian_dangerfield

Nadal/Medvedev

Jesus Christ. I’m exhausted.
Old 09-09-2019, 07:47 AM   #3219
sebastian_dangerfield

"Democracy is devouring itself... and it won’t last."

https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...mocracy-228045

“In well-established democracies like the United States, democratic governance will continue its inexorable decline and will eventually fail.”

. . .

What is happening around the world shows that the far-right is on the march. And when it comes to the U.S., the problem might be larger than one man. Liberals have been praying for the end of the Trump presidency, but if Rosenberg is right, democracy will remain under threat no matter who is in power."
Old 09-09-2019, 09:12 AM   #3220
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
You’ll never do serious bkcy reform that would make it easier for kids to shed debt (incl. student debt). You’ll never do millennial debt forgiveness. Banks and investors will freak about how it would drive rates high and harm old people living on pensions and investments. And Big Education would lose their minds, as higher borrowing costs would force them to freeze tuition.

There’s never going to be a financial transaction tax, either. Same reasons.

These are real policies that would help the kids. Green New Deal? It’s nice, but it’s not seriously possible to implement over timeline where it’ll help the lower 85%. And Corp Ds will settle for carbon credits. Dust off Gore policies.

Corp Ds might do some form UBI. That I agree. That’s good.

ETA: Corp Ds, like Corp Rs, will never get behind policies which undermine “transaction man’s” grip on wealth here: https://www.wsj.com/articles/when-co...cs-11567782178

And I’m not sure I want them to. Corp Ds benefit me. But for the same reason I can’t vote for Trump, who benefits me differently but pretty much equally, I can’t vote for them. And I don’t have to. I know either way, a Corp D or Corp R will always win. But I don’t have to help them. I can take what I get and keep a conscience of sorts.

But Warren? I can vote for her. It’d hurt but be worth it.
You whine a lot.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:45 AM   #3221
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
You whine a lot.
I know. I need a TV show where I can bring on left and right, insult both, then tell the audience we're fucked and they should go home and drink.

It'd be like Firing Line. I'd take long pauses like Buckley between Lewis Black-like freakouts.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:22 AM   #3222
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Did I disagree with ACA? I’m not so sure.
You did here, but you like to be a contrarian so who knows what you really thought.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 09-09-2019, 10:44 AM   #3223
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
Yes, time for you to start relaxing.

The menu looks amazing. Within a week I'll have to make the onion soup/Detroit pizza choice.
Why choose? No one said you couldn't have it all.

TM
Old 09-09-2019, 10:45 AM   #3224
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
Last time I was in Minneapolis I jumped in a cab and said, "take me to where PLF usually eats." Guy pulled in to Deja Vu.
They just call it, "The Vu," in MN.

TM
Old 09-09-2019, 12:00 PM   #3225
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
The analysis is simple.

I don’t wish to get the worst of both worlds: No significant change and higher taxes.

If I’m going to pay more, I want to know I’m getting something in return. With someone like Warren, I suspect we’d get bankruptcy reform and millennial loan relief (both probably) which I see creating a nice multiplier for the Main St economy. With Hillary, and perhaps Biden, it’s just increased taxes and no real attempt at significant change, because that change would harm their institutional and corporate benefactors.

I want a return on my investment. If I must pay more, I want policies that allow the little guy to climb the ladder. Subsistence safety nets provided to him via programs are just a way of placating him. No multiplier is created and he remains another of the hundred or so million debt serfs propping up the rentier economy.

I see no cash or societal value in an investment in a corporate Democrat.

Correction: The market does tend to do better under corporate Ds. But this a bit selfish, no? Because people who are floundering right now in the Main St economy aren’t invested.
I always get whiplash watching you transition from diagnosing what's wrong with our politics to explaining the transactional analysis you engage in to decide how to vote. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, since it's almost as if you walk through the latter to illustrate the depths of the former. One almost believes you might actually care about the some of the broader problems you describe, and then you lance that boil with a narrow prick of your own self-interest. Bravo.
Closed Thread