LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 185
0 members and 185 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 12:56 PM   #1471
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Re: Can women participate in that?

Fuck this guy:

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/m...s-women-voting
Old 04-23-2019, 05:59 PM   #1472
Did you just call me Coltrane?

Re: Doesn’t Matter Who Wins the K Race; We’re All the Same

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretty Little Flower View Post
!
Here is the deal - the GOP is dying. Once the boomers die out it's over. What do they stand for anymore? Mostly gun rights, racism and protecting zygotes. Fiscal responsibility? Nope. Free trade? Nope. Traditional christian morality? Nope.

GOP congresspeople know that if some of them stand up to Trump it will result in a complete and irreparable fracture of the party and an acceleration of that eventual death. Hence they keep their mouths shut to try to hang on as long as they can.
Old 04-23-2019, 06:25 PM   #1473
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Did you just call me Coltrane? View Post
Here is the deal - the GOP is dying. Once the boomers die out it's over. What do they stand for anymore? Mostly gun rights, racism and protecting zygotes. Fiscal responsibility? Nope. Free trade? Nope. Traditional christian morality? Nope.

GOP congresspeople know that if some of them stand up to Trump it will result in a complete and irreparable fracture of the party and an acceleration of that eventual death. Hence they keep their mouths shut to try to hang on as long as they can.
You need to cite where you get your intel from: cocktail parties I suspect?
Old 04-23-2019, 06:33 PM   #1474
Did you just call me Coltrane?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
You need to cite where you get your intel from: cocktail parties I suspect?
Donkey Doug from The Good Place.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:16 PM   #1475
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Donkey Doug from The Good Place.
Translation: lemon parties are go!!!
Old 04-24-2019, 07:24 AM   #1476
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:

I have no doubt they're dying, I just hope they don't take too many of us down with them.

They're the party of the robber barrons and of the part of our economy that doesn't work. They may just take down the part that does out of envy and bitterness.

But Shanghai is nice.
Old 04-24-2019, 08:06 AM   #1477
sebastian_dangerfield

Taibbi

From the Sane Desk:

https://www.rollingstone.com/politic...-media-826246/
Old 04-24-2019, 11:05 AM   #1478
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Good article

By a hardcore Republican.

"I wanted to share my experience transitioning from Trump team member to pragmatist about Trump to advocate for his impeachment, because I think many other Republicans are starting a similar transition. Politics is a team sport, and if you actively work within a political party, there is some expectation that you will follow orders and rally behind the leader, even when you disagree. There is a point, though, at which that expectation turns from a mix of loyalty and pragmatism into something more sinister, a blind devotion that serves to enable criminal conduct.

The Mueller report was that tipping point for me, and it should be for Republican and independent voters, and for Republicans in Congress. In the face of a Department of Justice policy that prohibited him from indicting a sitting president, Mueller drafted what any reasonable reader would see as a referral to Congress to commence impeachment hearings.

Depending on how you count, roughly a dozen separate instances of obstruction of justice are contained in the Mueller report. The president dangled pardons in front of witnesses to encourage them to lie to the special counsel, and directly ordered people to lie to throw the special counsel off the scent.

This elaborate pattern of obstruction may have successfully impeded the Mueller investigation from uncovering a conspiracy to commit more serious crimes. At a minimum, there’s enough here to get the impeachment process started. In impeachment proceedings, the House serves as a sort of grand jury and the Senate conducts the trial. There is enough in the Mueller report to commence the Constitution’s version of a grand-jury investigation in the form of impeachment proceedings."

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...3T12%3A22%3A48

TM
Old 04-24-2019, 11:52 AM   #1479
Icky Thump

Damn

Roxy was not her real name. Just made up for the movie. So the Roxy I knew and all of the hijinx that followed was unrelated to the later Tommy Lee flame. So maybe it doesn't hurt when I pee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvgcswTwoB4
Old 04-24-2019, 12:25 PM   #1480
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Re: Damn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icky Thump View Post
Roxy was not her real name. Just made up for the movie. So the Roxy I knew and all of the hijinx that followed was unrelated to the later Tommy Lee flame. So maybe it doesn't hurt when I pee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvgcswTwoB4
Does it hurt or does it burn?

There is a big difference here.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:45 PM   #1481
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
You think those are his only sins?
Horowitz's upcoming IG report is going to make this impeachment mess a bigger quagmire. Not limited to attacks on Steele Report. Broader attacks on FBI and FISA process generally.

Being weaponized already. GOP has advance info from it. (As must Dems, I’d assume.)

Pelosi is trying to stave off a political shitshow Ds can’t win.
Old 04-24-2019, 02:21 PM   #1482
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:

GOP in PA is holding emergency meetings because they’re realizing data showing Trump getting clobbered there is real (holding steady for extended period).

Resonant messages in PA? Health care and jobs.

I think Ds are insecure because Biden is winner, but none of the progressives can win. If Joe fades, Trump can win. They think an impeachment, even one they lose, might damage Trump enough that even a progressive can beat him. Pelosi does not agree. Thinks it will backfire.

GOP’s most feared candidate over longer term: Buttegieg. No shit. He hits all right notes. Coalition builder who is future of Left/moderate D party.

YMMV. All anecdotal, from a trip to DC.

Last edited by sebastian_dangerfield; 04-24-2019 at 02:23 PM..
Old 04-24-2019, 04:40 PM   #1483
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
Horowitz's upcoming IG report is going to make this impeachment mess a bigger quagmire. Not limited to attacks on Steele Report. Broader attacks on FBI and FISA process generally.

Being weaponized already. GOP has advance info from it. (As must Dems, I’d assume.)

Pelosi is trying to stave off a political shitshow Ds can’t win.
It's like you like you try to keep topping the stupid with every next post. Attacks on the FBI may motivate people who are already in Trump's camp, but there are *no* undecided voters who are going to vote against Democrats because FBI agents too zealously tried to protect the country. If Republicans are going to pick an institution to destroy in the name of motivating their base, I wouldn't have thought it would be the FBI, but Trump's ego is a tricky thing.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 04-24-2019, 06:12 PM   #1484
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Re: Taibbi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
You keep pointing to Taibbi on this, so I'm going to explain why I think his argument is lame. Basically, he says that the media overplayed the Mueller investigation. He doesn't really deal with what Mueller did find, so let's not dwell on the criminal convictions of the President's National Security Advisor and campaign manager, and the many times the President tried to obstruct justice. When you try to figure out what Taibbi thinks the media actually got wrong, it's very hard to say, because he makes sweeping claims but doesn't quote anybody for more than a few words. Ah, but you say, he quotes a lot of people in that article! He does, but only for ancillary stuff, not for the stuff he says the media got wrong. And when one bothers to click through, there's no there there. For example, one sentence with a bunch of links says:

Quote:
We were told we’d hit “turning point” after “turning point” leading to the “the beginning of the end,” with Trump certain, soon, to either resign in shame, Nixon-style, or be impeached.
The first "turning point" links to a Vox article (note: not major media by anyone's standards) which contradicts Taibbi.(1)

The second "turning point" links to a piece in The Nation (note: not major media, or a news source) which also contradicts Taibbi.(2)

And then I stopped checking his sources, because life is short. He starts the article by ostentatiously quoting the AP, the NYT and the WaPo as if he is going to deliver the goods on them, but then he hides his sources so that you have to find that his quotes are instead from Vox and The Nation, and they don't even say what he says they said.

Someone certainly needs to apologize for counterfactual, histrionic reporting. Hand Taibbi a mirror. And get Rolling Stone some editors.

(1) Vox: "Which of these, if any, will result in further charges remain unclear. It’s also not known for sure whether Mueller is preparing some sort of lengthy report on President Trump and Russian interference — perhaps to be sent to Congress for potential impeachment — or whether the next step is more indictments.

But Manafort could know a whole lot about any of these avenues of investigation. ... Manafort could be very helpful for whatever Mueller has in mind.

So now we wait for the special counsel’s next move."

(2) The Nation piece ends: "In the wake of Tuesday, Robert Mueller and the New York US Attorney’s office will continue down their methodical, principled path. But the special Counsel can’t solve what is at bottom a political problem for the country. However many of the president’s associates go to jail, Donald Trump will remain in office until the country musters the moral clarity of a pro-Trump juror who, MAGA hat in her car, could still follow the evidence."
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar

Last edited by Tyrone Slothrop; 04-25-2019 at 01:23 AM..
Old 04-24-2019, 08:44 PM   #1485
Hank Chinaski

Update from Facebook: I believe Spanky is now counsel for a cannabis company.