LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 379
0 members and 379 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 10:58 AM   #796
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Bias

So we recently spent some time talking about how segregated this country has become. This is an interesting piece by Verna Myers about curing the biases that develop as a result by purposely removing yourself from your comfort zone (or walking toward those biases).

https://www.ted.com/talks/verna_myer...ly_toward_them

TM
Old 05-11-2018, 10:59 AM   #797
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Re: Mister, I ain’t a boy; no, I’m a man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
"Some Girls" #songsyoucouldneverevereverreleasetoday

It's no Let it Bleed or Exile, but consider:

"Before the Make Me Run"
"Shattered"
"Respectable"
"Miss You"
"Beast of Burden" (I hate this song, but respect it.)

That was a damn fine offering. Possibly #5 after their Big Four.
a Stones album where you can only mention a few songs with a straight face is not a good Stones album.
Old 05-11-2018, 11:08 AM   #798
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Listening to Cheap Trick in 1978 MIGHT be forgivable, as some sorry bad slide one might have been on as a child. But mentioning it 40 years later, and as “the best live album ever?” You’re beginning to sound like a Penske replacement for PPNYC. And almost every other band mentioned was either a short term novelty (devo?) or proof that Cannibis is very very bad ( the Doobie Brothers?) and Give em enough rope was at best the third best record from a band that made 4? And Some Girls? Some Girls? Nwtaf?
AC/DC put out Powerage in '78. One is typically flayed for professing love of that band (largely by the sorts of people who think the New Yorker is high brow). But that record is different from all of their others. It sounds like a Stones' record on steroids (which is why Keith himself has professed love for it).

The lyrics can of course be childish (its AC/DC), but in terms of sleaze rock, and sleaze rock that swings, it is an underrated gem. If "Rock N' Roll Damnation" isn't catchy to you, check your pulse.

And where are the Cars and the Talking Heads in this list?

ETA: This Talking Heads live record (1978-1982) is phenomenal: https://www.amazon.com/Name-This-Ban.../dp/B0002IQML6

ETA2: Now having, uh, gone thru the Spotify list, I, um, see the cars and Talking Heads are represented. Nevertheless, my uninformed exhortation stands. They should be referenced more prominently. (And re: Gerry Rafferty, I still have a copy of City to City on vinyl. Why, I have no idea.)

Last edited by sebastian_dangerfield; 05-11-2018 at 11:22 AM..
Old 05-11-2018, 11:10 AM   #799
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
a Stones album where you can only mention a few songs with a straight face is not a good Stones album.
I mention all of those with a straight face.

That's a damn good record. Huge improvement on It's Only Rock n' Roll, their last real album prior to it.
Old 05-11-2018, 11:20 AM   #800
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Re: Bias

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurgreedMarshall View Post
So we recently spent some time talking about how segregated this country has become. This is an interesting piece by Verna Myers about curing the biases that develop as a result by purposely removing yourself from your comfort zone (or walking toward those biases).

https://www.ted.com/talks/verna_myer...ly_toward_them

TM
I take some pride in never having watched a TED talk. You almost got me to take the plunge.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 05-11-2018, 11:30 AM   #801
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
I mention all of those with a straight face.

That's a damn good record. Huge improvement on It's Only Rock n' Roll, their last real album prior to it.
I'm older. i bought Exile when it came out. Arguing we me about the Stones would be like arguing with Taxwonk about Playboy before it started showing pubic hair.
Old 05-11-2018, 11:35 AM   #802
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
I take some pride in never having watched a TED talk. You almost got me to take the plunge.
You should watch that - Verna is good. I first had a workshop with her close to 20 years ago, it's a little frightening that the message still needs to be pretty close to what it was back then.

I think the walking toward your biases, and the idea of all acknowledging our biases, is a good idea, especially when you look at institutional change. There is a huge bias in law firms toward defending ourselves from the idea we have any biases - and it's probably part of why we are sooooo slow to change. Dead on there.

Last edited by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy; 05-11-2018 at 11:38 AM..
Old 05-11-2018, 11:44 AM   #803
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
I'm older. i bought Exile when it came out. Arguing we me about the Stones would be like arguing with Taxwonk about Playboy before it started showing pubic hair.
Playboy had pubic hair in it?

You are old.
Old 05-11-2018, 11:52 AM   #804
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
You should watch that - Verna is good. I first had a workshop with her close to 20 years ago, it's a little frightening that the message still needs to be pretty close to what it was back then.

I think the walking toward your biases, and the idea of all acknowledging our biases, is a good idea, especially when you look at institutional change. There is a huge bias in law firms toward defending ourselves from the idea we have any biases - and it's probably part of why we are sooooo slow to change. Dead on there.
I'm sure this TED talk is solid, as the subject matter is still very unsettled and a source of huge controversy.

But most TED talks are just a bunch of obvious points repacked to appear novel. "We can cure hunger in Africa with big data and moral resolve!" "Social media isn't evil... But it's not necessarily good, either!" "Mapping the genome is just the beginning!" "I was born without arms. But I can still talk, and speak my truth!"
Old 05-11-2018, 12:03 PM   #805
Pretty Little Flower

Quote:
I'm sure this TED talk is solid, as the subject matter is still very unsettled and a source of huge controversy.

But most TED talks are just a bunch of obvious points repacked to appear novel. "We can cure hunger in Africa with big data and moral resolve!" "Social media isn't evil... But it's not necessarily good, either!" "Mapping the genome is just the beginning!" "I was born without arms. But I can still talk, and speak my truth!"
Mocking the armless. Jesus, this is low. I think The New Yorker is highbrow and I like AC/DC. In fact, for one case, I made the executive decision that, before we went to court, whether it be for trial or just a discovery motion, we would gather in my office and listen to "For Those About to Rock" all the way through at high volume. We never did it, but it remains one of my better ideas as an attorney to date.

I am not sorry.
Old 05-11-2018, 12:47 PM   #806
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretty Little Flower View Post
Mocking the armless. Jesus, this is low. I think The New Yorker is highbrow and I like AC/DC. In fact, for one case, I made the executive decision that, before we went to court, whether it be for trial or just a discovery motion, we would gather in my office and listen to "For Those About to Rock" all the way through at high volume. We never did it, but it remains one of my better ideas as an attorney to date.
This post is more Moth than TED.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 05-11-2018, 12:50 PM   #807
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
We tried that with "Rock Lobster." I can't remember how the case ultimately went, but one guy got a few hand-jobs from a paralegal he later married.

They're divorced now.
Old 05-11-2018, 03:06 PM   #808
Pretty Little Flower

Quote:
This post is more Moth than TED.
You're welcome.

I am not sorry.
Old 05-11-2018, 04:41 PM   #809
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Didn't "For those About to Rock" have a big horn fill section?
Old 05-11-2018, 05:10 PM   #810
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
I take some pride in never having watched a TED talk.
Why?

If you haven't watched Bryan Stevenson's TED talk about injustice, you're fucking up.

https://www.ted.com/talks/bryan_stev...t_an_injustice

TM
Closed Thread