LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 79
0 members and 79 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2022, 12:03 PM   #1636
Adder
I am beyond a rank!
 
Adder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 17,056
Re: Implanting Bill Gates's Micro-chips In Brains For Over 20 Years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
Chauncey Gardiner.
No, it was the last guy who repeated BS he heard on tv that people inexplicably took seriously.

This one just gets in trouble with his mouth.

Quote:
"Chance of audit torture being visited on gig workers and small biz just increased 500%?
You really need to be more selective in your news sources and/or more skeptical of silly right wing talking points.
Adder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 01:12 PM   #1637
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy
Registered User
 
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Government Yard in Trenchtown
Posts: 20,101
Re: Implanting Bill Gates's Micro-chips In Brains For Over 20 Years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
You really need to be more selective in your news sources and/or more skeptical of silly right wing talking points.
Folks do realize that if gig workers are being caught up in an audit, what's likely at stake is whether they should have more of their FICA payments covered and get some other tax benefits from being characterized as an employee rather than a contractor?

The target in gig worker audits isn't the gig workers.
__________________
A wee dram a day!
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 04:17 PM   #1638
Did you just call me Coltrane?
Registered User
 
Did you just call me Coltrane?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Throwing a kettle over a pub
Posts: 14,682
Re: Implanting Bill Gates's Micro-chips In Brains For Over 20 Years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
Dissent.

When I had my first bout with cancer, I was treated with a drug cocktail that included two drugs a client and close friend had been involved in developing, one of which I'd helped him with. His work helped save my life. It gave me new perspective on the good I could do even as a lawyer.

On the second bout, one of my side effects (mouth and throat sores - a colleague with similar problems recently died of them, literally chocked to death when their throat closed) was greatly helped by a product developed by another friend, who we've since helped connect with a contingent fee lawyer for help with a very unexciting but important collection matter (their distributor screwed them - it threatened their ability to continue). I realized my health depended in part on the quality of work of an otherwise lowly collections litigator.

Work can be a very fulfilling part of life if we let it, and keep the money issues from getting in the way.
I agree. Work can be fulfilling.

__________________
No no no, that's not gonna help. That's not gonna help and I'll tell you why: It doesn't unbang your Mom.
Did you just call me Coltrane? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 08:54 PM   #1639
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000
 
Hank Chinaski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Corner Office
Posts: 85,899
Re: Implanting Bill Gates's Micro-chips In Brains For Over 20 Years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Did you just call me Coltrane? View Post
I agree. Work can be fulfilling.

In my entire career the clients who should have won mostly don’t and the ones who maybe shouldn’t mostly do. But yes the $$$$$!
__________________
I will not suffer a fool- but I do seem to read a lot of their posts
Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 10:35 AM   #1640
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy
Registered User
 
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Government Yard in Trenchtown
Posts: 20,101
Re: Implanting Bill Gates's Micro-chips In Brains For Over 20 Years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
In my entire career the clients who should have won mostly don’t and the ones who maybe shouldn’t mostly do. But yes the $$$$$!
Wait, you lose cases?
__________________
A wee dram a day!
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 12:52 PM   #1641
sebastian_dangerfield
Moderator
 
sebastian_dangerfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Monty Capuletti's gazebo
Posts: 25,963
Re: Implanting Bill Gates's Micro-chips In Brains For Over 20 Years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
Dissent.

When I had my first bout with cancer, I was treated with a drug cocktail that included two drugs a client and close friend had been involved in developing, one of which I'd helped him with. His work helped save my life. It gave me new perspective on the good I could do even as a lawyer.

On the second bout, one of my side effects (mouth and throat sores - a colleague with similar problems recently died of them, literally chocked to death when their throat closed) was greatly helped by a product developed by another friend, who we've since helped connect with a contingent fee lawyer for help with a very unexciting but important collection matter (their distributor screwed them - it threatened their ability to continue). I realized my health depended in part on the quality of work of an otherwise lowly collections litigator.

Work can be a very fulfilling part of life if we let it, and keep the money issues from getting in the way.
I agree with this. One can definitely find fulfillment in any profession.

But most people don't, or don't always, so they have to find balance. This makes more sense, IMO, than believing the Protestant Work Ethic (that life is just to toil and through that one will build character, and character is reward enough regardless of whether one makes money) or the Greed Is Good mantra (work sucks, so just crush it as much as you can and try to amass the greatest wealth and prestige... and then retire and become obsessed with golf and talk about it incessantly).

The kids these days seem to grasp that The Ride is the reward. It's all you get, so if you're sacrificing everything to toil which is not fulfilling and not enjoying yourself along the way, you're doing it wrong, and quite illogically.
__________________
All is for the best in the best of all possible worlds.
sebastian_dangerfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 01:01 PM   #1642
sebastian_dangerfield
Moderator
 
sebastian_dangerfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Monty Capuletti's gazebo
Posts: 25,963
Re: Implanting Bill Gates's Micro-chips In Brains For Over 20 Years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
No, it was the last guy who repeated BS he heard on tv that people inexplicably took seriously.

This one just gets in trouble with his mouth.



You really need to be more selective in your news sources and/or more skeptical of silly right wing talking points.
Look up where the audits had been targeted over the past 20 years. EITC was one of the most frequent.

There's a narrative out there that the country is awash in massive super-wealthy cheats - Swiss accounts, hidden crypto, Panama, etc. But this stuff is rounding errors. What'd they get when the Swiss dimed out US citizens with hidden foreign accounts a few years back? Five, ten billion? Not chump change. But also not much more than a day's (if that) worth of interest on our debt.

They're coming for everyone, above $400k and below. Because that's where the most money is located. We could punitively tax the Forbes 400 crowd at 50% for a year and the money wouldn't be terrifically impressive. To make this work, they've gotta make everyone a target. Terrible for small business. Jacks compliance costs. Great for accountants.
__________________
All is for the best in the best of all possible worlds.
sebastian_dangerfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 03:08 PM   #1643
LessinSF
Wearing the cranky pants
 
LessinSF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Pulling your finger
Posts: 7,063
Talking Re: Implanting Bill Gates's Micro-chips In Brains For Over 20 Years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
The kids these days seem to grasp that The Ride is the reward. It's all you get, so if you're sacrificing everything to toil which is not fulfilling and not enjoying yourself along the way, you're doing it wrong, and quite illogically.
I have always been a role model.
__________________
Boogers!
LessinSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 03:48 PM   #1644
Did you just call me Coltrane?
Registered User
 
Did you just call me Coltrane?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Throwing a kettle over a pub
Posts: 14,682
Re: Implanting Bill Gates's Micro-chips In Brains For Over 20 Years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
The kids these days seem to grasp that The Ride is the reward. It's all you get, so if you're sacrificing everything to toil which is not fulfilling and not enjoying yourself along the way, you're doing it wrong, and quite illogically.
Yep. They get it.

In theory, with automation (and not having trillions of $$ in a few hands), we should all be living the lives of the passengers on the Wall-E ship.
__________________
No no no, that's not gonna help. That's not gonna help and I'll tell you why: It doesn't unbang your Mom.
Did you just call me Coltrane? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 05:06 PM   #1645
sebastian_dangerfield
Moderator
 
sebastian_dangerfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Monty Capuletti's gazebo
Posts: 25,963
Re: Implanting Bill Gates's Micro-chips In Brains For Over 20 Years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Did you just call me Coltrane? View Post
Yep. They get it.

In theory, with automation (and not having trillions of $$ in a few hands), we should all be living the lives of the passengers on the Wall-E ship.
Keynes predicted that we'd have 15 hour weeks by now and leisure would be prioritized.

There are many reasons we're not there, and some are good ones. Some people are simply ambitious, love to work, love what they do, and these people tend to benefit themselves and society tremendously.

But there's also a pathology at work - a belief non-productive life is wasted time. That it's somehow better to be doing anything than doing nothing. This turns people into strange little robots. Routine is sanctified. Put on khakis, get in car, drive, park, get coffee, walk upstairs, go into office. As a cheetah would stalk prey everyday on the savanna, because it knows no other way to live, I shall go off to the office to earn my keep every day.

Except you're not earning anything by this ritual. You're going through motions that actually hamper the work for which you are paid. The performative and rote conflate with the productive time. They layers on top of, or marble through, the productive activity. They sap energy. But you're a robot, so you don't see that anymore.

Until someone makes all the robots stay home for a year, unable to get a daily software reinforcement by plugging their asses into chairs in their cubicles just as you'd dock your iPhone into your MacBook.

Oh, wait, that was a rut, a Matrix... I was just sleepwalking through motions I needn't follow.

And why do we so easily turn into robots? I think because we're marinated in a high proof Puritan bullshit story about how rigid discipline, consistency, and sacrificing time is good for humans and makes them successful. Sure, the 10,000 Hour Rule works if you're Tiger Woods or Yo Yo Ma. But those are 10,000 useful hours. The 10,000 hours a cubicle monkey burns putting on Dockers, shaving, and sitting in traffic for an hour every morning are useless hours. The 10,000 hours anyone spends in meetings are useless hours.

There is no dumber statement than "He put in his time." People say that as if achieving success is a simply a matter of trading enough time, putting up with enough politics, being bored to tears regularly. How much innovation is lost every year because people find themselves "putting in their time"? Most of the great ideas one will have will be had while one is young. What kind of perverse society and counterproductive economy would encourage young minds to dutifully follow orders under impossibly dull conditions?

A fucking strange one. One still haunted by the spirit of the self-depriving religious loons who founded this place. Work should be performed in comfortable conditions under which its performed most effectively, not in a hairshirt and half exhausted.

"Thanks for decades of dutiful service, Bob! Here's a Rolex. Hope you picked a nice place to die!"
__________________
All is for the best in the best of all possible worlds.

Last edited by sebastian_dangerfield; 09-22-2022 at 05:18 PM..
sebastian_dangerfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 05:52 PM   #1646
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex
 
Tyrone Slothrop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 32,775
Re: Implanting Bill Gates's Micro-chips In Brains For Over 20 Years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
Keynes predicted that we'd have 15 hour weeks by now and leisure would be prioritized.
FWIW, this unrealized promise is the subject of Brad Delong's new book, Slouching Towards Utopia, an economic history of the post-1870 world. I'm going to read it any day now, just as soon as I can get through Mark Helprin's Winter's Tale.
__________________
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Tyrone Slothrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 11:25 AM   #1647
sebastian_dangerfield
Moderator
 
sebastian_dangerfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Monty Capuletti's gazebo
Posts: 25,963
Re: Implanting Bill Gates's Micro-chips In Brains For Over 20 Years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
FWIW, this unrealized promise is the subject of Brad Delong's new book, Slouching Towards Utopia, an economic history of the post-1870 world. I'm going to read it any day now, just as soon as I can get through Mark Helprin's Winter's Tale.
Thanks for that. From reviews, it looks like a rewrite of history aimed at shitting on accepted narratives. Which of course is catnip to me.

I'll buy it for traditionalist friends for the holidays. I've found recommending The Dawn of Everything and Sex At Dawn to them quite fun. Nothing is more satisfying than causing an older person to doubt things he's just so fucking certain are "bedrock natural rules."
__________________
All is for the best in the best of all possible worlds.
sebastian_dangerfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 02:15 PM   #1648
LessinSF
Wearing the cranky pants
 
LessinSF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Pulling your finger
Posts: 7,063
Re: Implanting Bill Gates's Micro-chips In Brains For Over 20 Years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
Thanks for that. From reviews, it looks like a rewrite of history aimed at shitting on accepted narratives. Which of course is catnip to me.

I'll buy it for traditionalist friends for the holidays. I've found recommending The Dawn of Everything and Sex At Dawn to them quite fun. Nothing is more satisfying than causing an older person to doubt things he's just so fucking certain are "bedrock natural rules."
Give "San Fransicko" to your progressive friends - https://books.google.com/books/publi...nV-G08w&w=1280
__________________
Boogers!
LessinSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 02:51 PM   #1649
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex
 
Tyrone Slothrop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 32,775
Re: Implanting Bill Gates's Micro-chips In Brains For Over 20 Years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessinSF View Post
Give "San Fransicko" to your progressive friends - https://books.google.com/books/publi...nV-G08w&w=1280
Here's a book review of San Fransicko by Scott Alexander, which possibly could be like the most LessinSFest-adjacent book review ever.
__________________
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Tyrone Slothrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 11:02 PM   #1650
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000
 
Hank Chinaski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Corner Office
Posts: 85,899
Re: Implanting Bill Gates's Micro-chips In Brains For Over 20 Years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
Here's a book review of San Fransicko by Scott Alexander, which possibly could be like the most LessinSFest-adjacent book review ever.
For context, for those who have never met Ty, he is a lovely thoughtful man, BUT on the issue of SF being over run by homeless leaving feces I will note that Ty seems to favor restaurants with a strong odor reminiscent of a sewage treatment plant.
__________________
I will not suffer a fool- but I do seem to read a lot of their posts
Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.0.1

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:23 PM.