LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 135
1 members and 134 guests
sebastian_dangerfield
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 02:26 PM   #976
Not Bob

Re: Whew

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
Because I haven’t seen convincing evidence of a quid pro quo. It’s no crime or conspiracy to borrow from Russians.
Just off the top of my head:

1. Russian ambassador meets with campaign officials (including Sessions, iirc) in Cleveland during the GOP convention. GOP platform is mysteriously changed to soften U.S. support for the* Ukraine. No one seems to know how or why this language suddenly appeared out of the blue. A mere co-inky-dink. The ambassador wanted to visit the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and dropped by to say hello to everyone at the convention just to be polite.

2. On his way out the door, Barry the O kicks a bunch of Russkies out and closes some counsulate buildings. The CCCP responds by announcing that they will respond in kind. After metings meetings meetings (undisclosed and lied about) between everyone from Boy Prince to the coffee boy to Sessions), and Putin states that he will not retaliate. President-elect Trump praises Vlad’s restraint. And after 1/21/17, the administration either lifts the sanctions or refuses to enforce them. Just another co-inky-dink.

Need more?

*Bite me, Ty.
Old 05-24-2018, 02:58 PM   #977
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Bob View Post
*Bite me, Ty.
That can be arranged for my usual fee.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 05-24-2018, 03:06 PM   #978
Did you just call me Coltrane?

Re: We are all Slave now.

Having dealt with about half of the top 10 biggest law firms (litigation departments) in this country, I will never figure out why big companies choose to pay them $800+/hour. It just doesn't make any sense. I mean, more power to those firms who can convince their clients to pay that (seriously), but I'm just not seeing the value. I'm reading a complaint right now that looks like it was drafted by a 2nd year law student (or Rudy Guiliani). It's embarrassing. How does this even get filed? And I rarely see a small shop guy intimidated by BIGLAW litigators (unless it's someone famous like Dan Webb or PLF).
Old 05-24-2018, 03:18 PM   #979
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Did you just call me Coltrane? View Post
Having dealt with about half of the top 10 biggest law firms (litigation departments) in this country, I will never figure out why big companies choose to pay them $800+/hour. It just doesn't make any sense. I mean, more power to those firms who can convince their clients to pay that (seriously), but I'm just not seeing the value. I'm reading a complaint right now that looks like it was drafted by a 2nd year law student (or Rudy Guiliani). It's embarrassing. How does this even get filed? And I rarely see a small shop guy intimidated by BIGLAW litigators (unless it's someone famous like Dan Webb or PLF).
No in-house lawyer ever lost their job for hiring litigators from one of those firms. That's all it is. If one of those firms fucks things up, it's on the firm. If a firm no one has heard of fucks things up, it's on the in-house lawyer who hired them.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar

Last edited by Tyrone Slothrop; 05-24-2018 at 04:02 PM.. Reason: What Not Bob said.
Old 05-24-2018, 03:22 PM   #980
Not Bob

Quote:
I have a friend from law school who used to hire outside counsel for his company. He said that it’s CYA (especially on big cases) - when Acme Industrials gets tagged for $100 million, you as the suit that decided to hire Cravath don’t have to worry about being shit-canned.

Last edited by Not Bob; 05-24-2018 at 03:23 PM.. Reason: Or what Ty said.
Old 05-24-2018, 03:28 PM   #981
LessinSF
Wearing the cranky pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
Lunch from Señor Sisig when you're back? Slave can come too. And anyone else who wants in.
Sure, but I work in Concord. Are you proposing a weekend?

LessinSt.Paul
Old 05-24-2018, 03:43 PM   #982
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessinSF View Post
Sure, but I work in Concord. Are you proposing a weekend?

LessinSt.Paul
I spend my weekends watching youth soccer. Maybe someday when you WFH?
Old 05-24-2018, 07:54 PM   #983
Pretty Little Flower

Quote:
I've really become less terrifying as I have gotten older. By that I mean that I hired a Social Media Coordinator to help me transition my image from brash and fiery enfant terrible to seasoned and wise elder. Technically, the Social Media Coordinator was hired by my Brand Manager, who came up with the whole concept in the first place, but it's all coming out of the same pocket, so whatevs.

I am not sorry.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:22 AM   #984
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Do prosecutors usually cut easy deals with the highest-quality scalps so they can shop downmarket? I. Don't. Think. So.
Mueller doesn't know whether Flynn is the biggest scalp he'll get.

And if Flynn doesn't deliver, what's the loss? Mueller would otherwise make the marquis scalp of this investigation a two year rather than one year prison term for a 3 star general for failing to register as a foreign agent?
Old 05-25-2018, 10:33 AM   #985
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Bush, Clinton, Trump -- all basically the same in terms of their corrupt dealings with foreign autocrats.

If you believe this, you're an idiot. But we all know you don't. If you were posting on a Trump board, you'd be telling them why he's f*cked.
Look at the chessboard.

Trump cannot be taken out of office except through political means. We all agree on that. You think the GOP will turn on him. I don't think so.

He's got two more years. I don't think he's running for a second term. He can game this out for the duration, declare victory, and walk off.

When you talk to average people about Trump, it's always the same exact story: "I hate him, but I like what he's doing with the economy." Granted, it's not all his doing. It's Obama's and Bernanke's economy much more than it's Trump's. But he's getting the credit nevertheless.

In flyoverland, Trump is quite popular.

You'd start a goddamn civil war if you threw Trump out of office. No party is going to risk that. And he won't go like Nixon. He'll go down shredding the social and political fabric of the nation.

So no, I wouldn't go on a Trump board and tell people he's fucked. I'd tell them he's a bigoted moron, and that they're suckers to support him because he's transferring $$$ to Hillary's voters on their backs.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:15 AM   #986
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Nor do you, but you were confidently making predictions yesterday.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:21 AM   #987
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Look at the chessboard.

Trump cannot be taken out of office except through political means. We all agree on that. You think the GOP will turn on him. I don't think so.

He's got two more years. I don't think he's running for a second term. He can game this out for the duration, declare victory, and walk off.

When you talk to average people about Trump, it's always the same exact story: "I hate him, but I like what he's doing with the economy." Granted, it's not all his doing. It's Obama's and Bernanke's economy much more than it's Trump's. But he's getting the credit nevertheless.

In flyoverland, Trump is quite popular.

You'd start a goddamn civil war if you threw Trump out of office. No party is going to risk that. And he won't go like Nixon. He'll go down shredding the social and political fabric of the nation.

So no, I wouldn't go on a Trump board and tell people he's fucked. I'd tell them he's a bigoted moron, and that they're suckers to support him because he's transferring $$$ to Hillary's voters on their backs.
Trump will not be impeached unless and until Republicans decide he is hurting them. That hasn't happened yet, but you have to recall that Republicans stuck by Nixon for a long time. Then they turned on him, like they did with Bush II towards the end.

I think Trump is running for a second term because (a) it's the country's biggest popularity contest, how could he pass?, and (b) he doesn't want to be a lame duck.

Your point about the economy is a good one. This expansion has been going for a long time. Will Trump look good in a recession? Another one is coming, sooner or later. So far he hasn't had to deal with bad news, except of his own making. (Puerto Rico doesn't count, because Republicans don't care about it.)
Old 05-25-2018, 11:43 AM   #988
Did you just call me Coltrane?

Quote:
No in-house lawyer ever lost their job for hiring litigators from one of those firms. That's all it is. If one of those firms fucks things up, it's on the firm. If a firm no one has heard of fucks things up, it's on the in-house lawyer who hired them.
Stop making sense.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:45 AM   #989
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:

And if Flynn doesn't deliver, what's the loss? Mueller would otherwise make the marquis scalp of this investigation a two year rather than one year prison term for a 3 star general for failing to register as a foreign agent?
You said you've done criminal work, right? What kind of prosecutor offers a plea deal to a cooperating witness without a strong proffer that he thinks can be the basis for further prosecutions?
Old 05-25-2018, 12:02 PM   #990
Pretty Little Flower

Quote:
Stop making sense.
Look at the chessboard.

I am not sorry.
Closed Thread