LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 62
0 members and 62 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 08:55 AM.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2018, 07:26 PM   #3376
LessinSF
Wearing the cranky pants
 
LessinSF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Pulling your finger
Posts: 6,644
Re: Red Red Whine

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
That is an exactly appropriate use of that song. Perhaps the only one.

I love the ironic use, btw. Similarly, I think every wedding should try to work in a tune like "Working Class Hero," "Positively 4th Street," or "Diamond's and Rust" (the Baez, not Judas Priest, arrangement).

Slide WCH between upbeat dance tunes, or make the band learn it. Maybe make it the song for the bride and her father's dance, or the couple's first dance. Could you imagine an R&B wedding band doing that, early - before everyone's drunk? "You think you're clever and classless and free... But you're still fucking peasants as far as I can see!" Have them sing it deadpan, perhaps even upbeat, like it's any other tune. Dance to it like it's totally proper for the event. And never comment on it. Never acknowledge the impropriety of the choice to anyone afterward.
A college friend and his wife played Social Distortion's "Ball & Chain" for their first dance. Unsurprisingly, the marriage did not last.
__________________
Boogers!
LessinSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 07:31 PM   #3377
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex
 
Tyrone Slothrop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 30,349
Re: We are all Slave now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
Yes. It’s also galvanizing the otherwise apathetic Trump base.

I still see blue gains. But this is getting the angry GOP voters exercised.

But it isn’t done yet. Heidkamp just said no. (She’s probably losing this fall, so that not hard for her, but it’s something.)
If I were McConnell, I would find a way to pull Kavanaugh, blame it on the Democrats, and leave confirmation of the next nominee until the lame duck session. That would motivate R's.
__________________
“Faced with the choice between changing one’s mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof”
- John Kenneth Galbraith
Tyrone Slothrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 08:42 PM   #3378
sebastian_dangerfield
Moderator
 
sebastian_dangerfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Monty Capuletti's gazebo
Posts: 23,128
Re: We are all Slave now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
If I were McConnell, I would find a way to pull Kavanaugh, blame it on the Democrats, and leave confirmation of the next nominee until the lame duck session. That would motivate R's.
I tend to agree. This anger is peaking too early. The Right voters may be taking a victory lap while everybody else heads to the polls.

If these rallies in DC with celebrities getting arrested persist, however, the Right could remain enthused. It’s Fox News’ viewer clickbait. And if Schumer doubles down on his strategy gaffe and talks impeachment of Kavanaugh before the election, he could make things much worse.

I think the Democrats should put Biden out there on the trail, 24/7. Lunchbox Joe would crush Trump in a general. He won’t run in 2020, but the hope that he might, and his mere presence, with Obama where possible, could bring out more blue votes next month. And a very thin increase in blue voter turnout is all that’s needed to ensure House control, I think.
__________________
All is for the best in the best of all possible worlds.
sebastian_dangerfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 10:19 AM   #3379
sebastian_dangerfield
Moderator
 
sebastian_dangerfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Monty Capuletti's gazebo
Posts: 23,128
Re: Red Red Whine

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessinSF View Post
A college friend and his wife played Social Distortion's "Ball & Chain" for their first dance. Unsurprisingly, the marriage did not last.
I think a thirty three minute live “Mountain Jam” as the first bride and groom dance song would also be ideal Andy Kaufman performance art. Then follow up with “Black Steel in the Hour of Chaos.” “Hey everybody! Get up and dance!”

Beethoven’s 7th has to also be in there somewhere.
__________________
All is for the best in the best of all possible worlds.
sebastian_dangerfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 12:32 PM   #3380
Adder
I am beyond a rank!
 
Adder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 16,086
Re: We are all Slave now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
Yes. It’s also galvanizing the otherwise apathetic Trump base.

I still see blue gains. But this is getting the angry GOP voters exercised.

But it isn’t done yet. Heidkamp just said no. (She’s probably losing this fall, so that not hard for her, but it’s something.)
Okay, but that was about climate change.
Adder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 12:36 PM   #3381
Adder
I am beyond a rank!
 
Adder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 16,086
Re: We are all Slave now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
I tend to agree. This anger is peaking too early. The Right voters may be taking a victory lap while everybody else heads to the polls.
From an electoral perspective, I don't see why McConnell and company wouldn't want to keep the nomination open. Whether that's further delay Kavanaugh or get another nominee, it's something to motivate the base.

Which tells me (1) they are concerned that there's more to become public about Kavanaugh if he's still the nominee, or (2) he doesn't think Kavanaugh will be confirmed.

Murkowski just voted no on cloture, which means one other R and Manchin (who voted yes on cloture) would sink it.


Quote:
I think the Democrats should put Biden out there on the trail, 24/7. Lunchbox Joe would crush Trump in a general. He won’t run in 2020, but the hope that he might, and his mere presence, with Obama where possible, could bring out more blue votes next month. And a very thin increase in blue voter turnout is all that’s needed to ensure House control, I think.
The myth of Single Digit Joe's electoral appeal is one of the more baffling ones.
Adder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 05:52 PM   #3382
SEC_Chick
I am beyond a rank!
 
SEC_Chick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: A pool of my own vomit
Posts: 709
Re: We are all Slave now.

SEC_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 06:21 PM   #3383
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex
 
Tyrone Slothrop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 30,349
Re: We are all Slave now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEC_Chick View Post
Boy howdy, if Reid hadn't changed things it never would have occurred to McConnell. A great reminder that whatever it is, it's always a Democrat's fault.
__________________
“Faced with the choice between changing one’s mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof”
- John Kenneth Galbraith
Tyrone Slothrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 06:25 PM   #3384
Adder
I am beyond a rank!
 
Adder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 16,086
Re: We are all Slave now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
Boy howdy, if Reid hadn't changed things it never would have occurred to McConnell. A great reminder that whatever it is, it's always a Democrat's fault.
A variant is, "if the Dems hadn't fillibustered Gorsuch, they could do so now, when it would really count."

As though McConnell would have respected this one either.
Adder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 06:57 PM   #3385
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex
 
Tyrone Slothrop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 30,349
Re: We are all Slave now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
A variant is, "if the Dems hadn't fillibustered Gorsuch, they could do so now, when it would really count."

As though McConnell would have respected this one either.
Republicans were always going to be able to put a conservative on the Court for this seat. Once Kavanaugh was shown to be a liar with an injudicious temperament and a history of treating women poorly, they had a choice about whether to find another conservative, or to stay the course with him. For many of them, I think the fact that Kavanaugh is a liar was a plus, because it showed that he wasn't going to let archaic notions of personal integrity get in the way of changing the law to make it more conservative, a la David Souter. For others, they didn't really care about him, but took his side when things got polarized because his sense of grievance at being attacked by the left is at the end of the day the essence of conservatism. For still others, they surely had reservations but did not want to stick their necks out on an issue so important to McConnell, Trump, and the people who vote in Republican primaries.
__________________
“Faced with the choice between changing one’s mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof”
- John Kenneth Galbraith
Tyrone Slothrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 07:51 PM   #3386
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000
 
Hank Chinaski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Corner Office
Posts: 84,109
Re: We are all Slave now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
Boy howdy, if Reid hadn't changed things it never would have occurred to McConnell. A great reminder that whatever it is, it's always a Democrat's fault.
Bullshit- his action was a step towards this. Might have built on something R and hateful from before, but the whole "tomorrow doesn't matter" attitude in the senate is fucked and did not start today. No offense.
__________________
Tan and fit!!!
Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 07:53 PM   #3387
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000
 
Hank Chinaski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Corner Office
Posts: 84,109
Re: We are all Slave now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
Republicans were always going to be able to put a conservative on the Court for this seat. Once Kavanaugh was shown to be a liar with an injudicious temperament and a history of treating women poorly, they had a choice about whether to find another conservative, or to stay the course with him. For many of them, I think the fact that Kavanaugh is a liar was a plus, because it showed that he wasn't going to let archaic notions of personal integrity get in the way of changing the law to make it more conservative, a la David Souter. For others, they didn't really care about him, but took his side when things got polarized because his sense of grievance at being attacked by the left is at the end of the day the essence of conservatism. For still others, they surely had reservations but did not want to stick their necks out on an issue so important to McConnell, Trump, and the people who vote in Republican primaries.
no offense but I'll rely on sebby's take from his cocktail parties about how Rs think instead of your take from berkeley.
__________________
Tan and fit!!!
Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 01:06 AM   #3388
Replaced_Texan
Random Syndicate (admin)
 
Replaced_Texan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Romantically enfranchised
Posts: 13,823
Re: Red Red Whine

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
I think a thirty three minute live “Mountain Jam” as the first bride and groom dance song would also be ideal Andy Kaufman performance art. Then follow up with “Black Steel in the Hour of Chaos.” “Hey everybody! Get up and dance!”

Beethoven’s 7th has to also be in there somewhere.
My husband vetoed NIN’s “Closer.”
__________________
"In the olden days before the internet, you'd take this sort of person for a ride out into the woods and shoot them, as Darwin intended, before he could spawn."--Will the Vampire People Leave the Lobby? pg 79
Replaced_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 03:55 PM   #3389
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy
Registered User
 
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Government Yard in Trenchtown
Posts: 18,895
Re: We are all Slave now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
Boy howdy, if Reid hadn't changed things it never would have occurred to McConnell. A great reminder that whatever it is, it's always a Democrat's fault.
One of the heartwarming bits of nostalgia I really enjoyed this round was seeing a priest complaining about Ted Kennedy.
__________________
A wee dram a day!
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 03:59 PM   #3390
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy
Registered User
 
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Government Yard in Trenchtown
Posts: 18,895
Re: We are all Slave now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Bullshit- his action was a step towards this. Might have built on something R and hateful from before, but the whole "tomorrow doesn't matter" attitude in the senate is fucked and did not start today. No offense.
Can you identify the last major act the Rs played straight up, using normal order?
__________________
A wee dram a day!
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.0.1

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:19 PM.