LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 169
0 members and 169 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2021, 01:30 PM   #4486
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Re: Objectively intelligent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Floyd protesters were mostly masked?
This is what I saw:

Old 03-10-2021, 01:31 PM   #4487
Pretty Little Flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
I stayed away from them, as did my family in places like Portland, because I thought it was clear there was more risk there than staying at home. I also stayed away from beaches.

I understand the experience in Boston was that the police got it worst from those events because... they mostly didn't wear masks and tended to operate in cars and indoors as well as outdoors. And those guards they sent from prisons? May not have been a good idea, especially for the cops. My wife had the lovely experience while waiting in the car for me of having one of those unmarked militaryesque people come up to the car and cough at her.

But the idea that an outdoor event of masked people is going to compare to indoor events with many unmasked people... seems to ignore a lot of science.
Well, yeah. Outdoors is safer than indoors. Masked is safer than unmasked. Hard to argue with that. I frequently bike outside with a few others. The risk is not zero but seems relatively low. I have not been to a spin class (or the gym at all) in a year.

I am not sorry.
Old 03-10-2021, 01:35 PM   #4488
Pretty Little Flower

Quote:
This is what I saw:

Here’s the picture accompanying the Wikipedia article on the protests in the Twin Cities:

I am not sorry.
Old 03-10-2021, 02:20 PM   #4489
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretty Little Flower View Post
Well, yeah. Outdoors is safer than indoors. Masked is safer than unmasked. Hard to argue with that. I frequently bike outside with a few others. The risk is not zero but seems relatively low. I have not been to a spin class (or the gym at all) in a year.
My Nextdoor had a big fight over unmasked runners (I am one). On any given run in my neighborhood I do not come within 10 feet of anyone else. Our governor is, of course, pretty aggressive but has never suggested masks outside if you can distance.
Old 03-10-2021, 02:22 PM   #4490
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
This is what I saw:

I just found a bunch of photos from Detroit where maybe half were masked. I have to admit I saw others where most were masked, but I am willing to bet you guys cherry picked too? And of course the Wiki article will use an "all masked" photo.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...st/3184695001/

Last edited by Hank Chinaski; 03-10-2021 at 02:27 PM..
Old 03-10-2021, 02:58 PM   #4491
Pretty Little Flower

Quote:
I just found a bunch of photos from Detroit where maybe half were masked. I have to admit I saw others where most were masked, but I am willing to bet you guys cherry picked too? And of course the Wiki article will use an "all masked" photo.

I literally Googled “George Floyd protests Minneapolis” and took the first image that came up. Based on photos I saw at the time and the reports of friends and colleagues who attended the protests, the peaceful daytime protesters were almost all mask-wearing, but not socially distanced at all. As the protests veered into anarchy in the late evenings and nighttime, mask wearing predictably dropped.

Most of my outdoor activity is biking or cross country skiing in the woods, by myself or with a few others. I am mostly (but not always) more than six feet away from everyone else, and nobody wears masks. I can’t do it. I’ve tried and as soon as I get my heart rate up even a little, I feel like I am suffocating. So I suppose I am taking some chances, but none of the limited group of people I bike or ski with has gotten COVID, and I actually feel more at risk fully-masked in the grocery store.

I am not sorry.
Old 03-10-2021, 03:15 PM   #4492
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
My Nextdoor had a big fight over unmasked runners (I am one). On any given run in my neighborhood I do not come within 10 feet of anyone else. Our governor is, of course, pretty aggressive but has never suggested masks outside if you can distance.
Great, running around the neighborhood huffing and panting.

When I go walking, I am regularly forced off the trails in the woods behind our house by unmasked assholes running or biking. Since I'm at high risk, I just try to stay as far away from these entitled morons as I can, but it can be quite uncomfortable because most of them don't view it as their problem to get out of the way and just keep right down the middle of the trail while I try to find a way into the underbrush to get away from them. I hope whenever you spot someone, you keep your distance and realize you're the one who needs to take responsibility for imposing.
Old 03-10-2021, 03:17 PM   #4493
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:

I chose that one because it popped up when I googled BLM protests Boston and has my building in the background, so it is, literally, what I would see on a regular basis.

I'm sure they weren't perfect, but the people I know who went were all pretty careful types, not the kind of people who would run around without a mask on.
Old 03-10-2021, 03:28 PM   #4494
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
I literally Googled “George Floyd protests Minneapolis” and took the first image that came up.
The great thing about 2020 is that a masked woman holding a "I can't breathe" sign could also be a right-wing nut protesting mask requirements. Good times.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 03-10-2021, 03:31 PM   #4495
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
I chose that one because it popped up when I googled BLM protests Boston and has my building in the background, so it is, literally, what I would see on a regular basis.

I'm sure they weren't perfect, but the people I know who went were all pretty careful types, not the kind of people who would run around without a mask on.
To be clear, I'm sure the mask % was higher than say at Sturgis. But to say a group of mostly younger people all wore masks doesn't align with what I have seen. Young people have been over masks/distancing for a while now.
Old 03-10-2021, 03:33 PM   #4496
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Great, running around the neighborhood huffing and panting.

When I go walking, I am regularly forced off the trails in the woods behind our house by unmasked assholes running or biking. Since I'm at high risk, I just try to stay as far away from these entitled morons as I can, but it can be quite uncomfortable because most of them don't view it as their problem to get out of the way and just keep right down the middle of the trail while I try to find a way into the underbrush to get away from them. I hope whenever you spot someone, you keep your distance and realize you're the one who needs to take responsibility for imposing.
I honestly never come within 10 feet of anyone. If someone is walking at me I move to avoid them.
Old 03-10-2021, 03:46 PM   #4497
Icky Thump

Quote:
Good. Buddy of mine just started going back to
Spin class.

And guess what he got! Hint: It starts with “Covid” and ends with “19”.
Old 03-10-2021, 03:50 PM   #4498
Icky Thump

Quote:
Just so you realize, 6 feet is a made up number which has no meaning. In my office, you don't need to wear a mask if you are sitting at your open floor plan desk but you have to wear one if you get up and walk around. Holy superspreader batman.

Here's a guideline:
Running outside, I wear a gaiter which I pull up if anyone is around. Thankfully, I have figured out where and when to run where it's just me and the deer --
Except when I run on the streets of Manhattan where you are frequently within 6 feet.
Everyone runs with a mask in NYC. You get used to it.

Last edited by Icky Thump; 03-10-2021 at 03:56 PM..
Old 03-10-2021, 03:57 PM   #4499
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icky Thump View Post
Just so you realize, 6 feet is a made up number which has no meaning. Running outside, I wear a gaiter which I pull up if anyone is around. Except when I run on the streets of Manhattan where you are frequently within 6 feet. Everyone runs with a mask there.
Why are you running in Manhattan? I love the Hudson River path, but no way would I run there now.

And I said 10 feet, and passing by people, so the 10 feet is for a second or two. My governor locked us down to the extent she was tied with Cuomo as Trump's least favorite, and caused nut cases to plan to kidnap her. She has always said no mask needed outside if you can distance.
Old 03-10-2021, 04:01 PM   #4500
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icky Thump View Post
In my office, you don't need to wear a mask if you are sitting at your open floor plan desk but you have to wear one if you get up and walk around. Holy superspreader batman.
How is this different than being in a restaurant? The length of time? 45 minutes eating is certainly time enough to spread it.
Quote:
Here's a guideline:
Exactly. I'm always green.