LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 181
0 members and 181 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-08-2019, 08:48 AM   #11
sebastian_dangerfield

Re: Doesn’t Matter Who Wins the K Race; We’re All the Same

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
What I don't understand about this mini-showdown between Whitaker and Nadler over the former's testimony and the latter's subpoena is, if Whitaker won't show up, Nadler is going to subpoena him, right? So where is Whitaker's leverage? "I won't do the thing you can force me to do unless you agree not to force me." maybe that works selling toilets, but it doesn't sound like a well-planned legal strategy. So maybe I am missing something.
I can't speak to that specific issue. But my guess is, going forward, all Administration witnesses are going to stall and delay as much as possible. Grind out the clock to Election Day 2020.

Whitaker is limited in his non-compliance, as he has a license and certain ethical obligations. But I think as to most laymen in the Administration, and most document demands, they'll probably challenge Congress's ability to actually enforce the laws granting oversight. Force Congress to threaten contempt, force drawn out contempt hearings, appeal everything as far as possible, tie up Ds with competing inquiries in the Senate.

Trump may be a fool in many regards, but one thing he understands well is that a contract, or a law, is only as strong as the other side's ability to enforce it. He's used the line, "It's an LLC... And you don't have a personal guaranty. Good luck collecting any judgment" more than any other human who's walked the planet. I wouldn't be surprised to hear, "Go ahead... Hold us in contempt. What's that going to get you? More delay?" from this Administration.

Unlike Nixon, I don't think Trump has any respect for the process at all. He's going to treat this like a strip mall development loan workout.