LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 146
0 members and 146 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 03:53 PM   #3511
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Re: We are all Slave now.

I understand Susan Collins has come out with a statement on the Jamal Khashoggi situation, and that while she recognizes that the Washington Post says something happened, because Saudi Arabia has forcefully denied it, it must have been someone else who hurt Khashoggi inside the Saudi embassy.
Old 10-10-2018, 04:25 PM   #3512
Not Bob

I believe that God believes in Bob, not me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Did you just call me Coltrane? View Post
“Voltaire said about God that ‘there is no God, but don’t tell that to my servant, lest he murder me at night’. Hammurabi would have said the same about his principle of hierarchy, and Thomas Jefferson about human rights. Homo sapiens has no natural rights, just as spiders, hyenas and chimpanzees have no natural rights. But don’t tell that to our servants, lest they murder us at night.”
I’m more of a Pascal’s Wager kind of a guy, and now I’m kind of hoping to see the unlimited bananas in monkey heaven.
Old 10-10-2018, 04:41 PM   #3513
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Did you just call me Coltrane? View Post
“Voltaire said about God that ‘there is no God, but don’t tell that to my servant, lest he murder me at night’. Hammurabi would have said the same about his principle of hierarchy, and Thomas Jefferson about human rights. Homo sapiens has no natural rights, just as spiders, hyenas and chimpanzees have no natural rights. But don’t tell that to our servants, lest they murder us at night.”
Ghost Dog: You know, in ancient cultures, bears were considered equal with men.
Shane: This ain't no ancient culture here, mister.
Ghost Dog: Sometimes it is.
Old 10-10-2018, 04:47 PM   #3514
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
Which would have been bad for the GOP how?
What was unclear? You take the win you have in the immediate. You always do that because the future is always unknown. And then you hope the Ds are dumb enough to talk of impeaching BK through October.

Was this coordinated? No. I think McConnell and Trump stumbled into complimentary strategies.
Old 10-10-2018, 04:54 PM   #3515
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
Repeating stupid conservative talking points doesn't make you conservative.
You’re biased and it infects your thinking negatively. Deal with it.

I just want to play provocateur because I think a lot of ideas on the Left are moronic. That makes me antisocial, probably a dick. I deal with that fine.

I’m also biased to always defend almost anything. I also dislike groups of people agreeing on things. Annoyed me all my life. I can’t even join a committee at the golf course.

You need biased know everything’s anonymous. I need assholes anonymous. However, neither of us has any plans to quit.

Last edited by sebastian_dangerfield; 10-10-2018 at 04:58 PM..
Old 10-10-2018, 05:15 PM   #3516
sebastian_dangerfield

Re: I believe that God believes in Bob, not me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Bob View Post
I’m more of a Pascal’s Wager kind of a guy, and now I’m kind of hoping to see the unlimited bananas in monkey heaven.
If there’s a god so insecure my lack of faith in it renders me damned, damn me. It’s bad enough I’m pressed to countenance these lunatic fictions. Telling me they’re the work of a jealous and petty diety only insults us both all the more.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X94YffpUryo
Old 10-10-2018, 05:50 PM   #3517
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
You’re biased and it infects your thinking negatively. Deal with it.
You are too, as are we all, and at least I acknowledge my biases. Also, my point was that I haven't called you conservative -- I've called you our when you repeat stupid things that conservatives say. I don't think you are conservative, so I'm pretty sure I haven't called you one.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 10-10-2018, 05:52 PM   #3518
Not Bob

I met God today on an uptown train.

Quote:
If there’s a god so insecure my lack of faith in it renders me damned, damn me. It’s bad enough I’m pressed to countenance these lunatic fictions. Telling me they’re the work of a jealous and petty diety only insults us both all the more.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X94YffpUryo
Suit yourself. Just don’t blame me for missing unlimited bananas in monkey heaven, amigo.
Old 10-10-2018, 05:52 PM   #3519
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

My two cents: Haley didn't tell anyone she was leaving because she had no reason to. Telling Trump (or anyone else in the White House) would have given them a reason to shit on her, so she didn't.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 10-10-2018, 06:34 PM   #3520
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Because of Hank's suggestion earlier, I am thinking about how to fix the politicization of the Court. What if any nominee to the Court had to be approved by the current members of the Court instead of or in addition to the Senate? Not saying this would ever happen, but it would create interesting incentives.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:20 PM   #3521
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
Because of Hank's suggestion earlier, I am thinking about how to fix the politicization of the Court. What if any nominee to the Court had to be approved by the current members of the Court instead of or in addition to the Senate? Not saying this would ever happen, but it would create interesting incentives.
Horrible idea. We want completely neutral evaluators- plus Kav-Kav would only vote for hotties, and that would kill Adder's chances.

Last edited by Hank Chinaski; 10-11-2018 at 07:48 AM..
Old 10-11-2018, 09:05 AM   #3522
sebastian_dangerfield

Re: I met God today on an uptown train.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Bob View Post
Suit yourself. Just don’t blame me for missing unlimited bananas in monkey heaven, amigo.
After they serve a cake made with my ashes, a piece of which anyone wishing to inherit anything from me must eat (on camera) in order to receive money, but before the ceremony concludes to “Rocks Off,” “Let it Bleed” and “Sister Ray,” I’d like a short eulogy Just Like This:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xgU6SwuZJIY

“He didn’t go anywhere… He’s just fucking dead.”
Old 10-11-2018, 10:01 AM   #3523
Pretty Little Flower

Quote:
That’s fair. I left that door open. And why not? Nobody pops-up a change-up into the center fielder’s glove with a more dramatic swing than Flower. It’s mean to point out the rest of pitches on which he gets caught looking.
Wait, what? I demonstrate how you have hypocritically called out people for engaging in the exact type of dishonest semantic sleight of hand that you do all the time (and provide an egregious, and hilarious, example from just a week or two ago) and that is a pop fly for an out? I'm pretty sure you don't understand how baseball works. Or maybe how metaphors work. Possibly both. But hey, no need to get all pouty and bent out of shape (again). FWIW, I agree with you on the lunacy of the concept of a perfect god who is also petty, vain, narcissistic, and mean. Don't get me wrong, I think the "God made man in his own image" crowd was not that far off. They just transposed a couple of words.

[Confidential to NotBob: Can I have your banana? And by banana, I mean all of your worldly possessions. I'm concerned you have not done enough to hedge your Pascalian wager. You know, the whole camel through the eye of needle thing. Anyhoo, hit me up on the DM and we can make the necessary arrangements.]

I am not sorry.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:05 AM   #3524
Pretty Little Flower

Re: I met God today on an uptown train.

Quote:
After they serve a cake made with my ashes, a piece of which anyone wishing to inherit anything from me must eat (on camera) in order to receive money, but before the ceremony concludes to “Rocks Off,” “Let it Bleed” and “Sister Ray,” I’d like a short eulogy Just Like This:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xgU6SwuZJIY

“He didn’t go anywhere… He’s just fucking dead.”
What. The. Fuck. "Rocks Off" was my primary example of the legitimacy of horns in rock, and now you want to use it in your funeral? It's like I don't even know you any more. I just love this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lNP-x94-SE

I am not sorry.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:56 AM   #3525
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Life in Minnesota, Part LVI.
Closed Thread